New to the Forum and 2 new additions.

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
KevinK

New to the Forum and 2 new additions.

Post by KevinK »

HI everyone,

I've had pocket knives all my life but recently getting interested in older knives. So I picked up two Camillus knives I had a few questions on. I don't mind digging around the webs myself so I'll share with what I've found out. If anyone has any additional information that would be great!

The first is a WWII era knife. Tang stamps seems to call into that 1941-1946 range, and unless I'm mistaken it was a military model. I bought it with the leather thong attached and will probably leave it. All of the blades are tight and snap back solidly except for the large blade. It folds back and stays, but no longer as the 'snap'. The take down tool? is very tight and difficult to open. I was unable to get an image of the inside but there is quite a bit of build up in there, but no active rust. The picture makes it look darker than it really is. I'm not sure I can get it lighter. It has been sharpened and 'well loved'. It is also well oiled.
Demo 1.jpg
Demo 2.jpg
The 2nd knife is an Electricians Knife. While the blades are a bit tight to open, they both close with a snap. It came with a nylon sheath, that I don't think was original to the knife, but fits inside perfectly. I am thinking the date on this is 60-70's. It has been sharpened the blades do show signs of us. Again there is plenty of build up of gunk on the inside. The handle material is pretty faded and looks more grey than black.
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
I was wondering about the possibility of cleaning them up a bit. I don't plan on sharpening them anymore than they already are. I also have a number of old safety razors and know ways of cleaning them up without damaging the finish. Would it be possible to do the same to these? What about the handle materials?

Thanks all in advance!

-KevinK
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New to the Forum and 2 new additions.

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome::

I have many of the scout/camper style knives like the one you pictured. They typically have a large spear blade, a bottle opener with screwdriver tip, an awl for punching holes in leather, and a can opener. I think what you are referring to as a take down tool? is a can opener. Different knife companies made many different styles of can openers. I have heard the one like you pictured referred to as the "pitch fork" style can opener. Other ones look like hawk bills or short knife blades with a lug or stud on the side. The tab that is bent to the side on yours rides against the rim of the can while the handle is rocked back and forth with the sharpened side cutting open the can top. The blade you mention that no longer has any snap is usually caused by the round end being worn excessively. That is the part of the blade that is in contact with the spring when opening the knife has worn a lot of metal off over the decades and the knife will no longer "snap" shut. There is no way to fix this easily. As far as cleaning and taking rust off the blades, I generally use ultra fine grade Scotchbrite pad material lubed with WD40. To clean out the "gunk" inside the knife I will cut a small piece of the ultra fine Scothbrite material (about 3/8" square), spray it with WD40, and used the tip of a small straight screwdriver to push it back and forth down inside the knife. Spray more WD40 down inside to flush it out and repeat if necessary with a new piece of Scotchbrite. I am talking about knives that have been severely neglected and have a lot of dirt and rust on them, and you are trying to get them back to being useful EDC knives.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Welcome to the forum. I have not been here long myself. You will probably find yourself being attracted more and more to older knives the longer you are here.
Nice knives you have there. The information on this forum will help you clean and restore them, such as the post above by Olde Cutler.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. There's a lot of information here about knife cleaning. Recommend you start here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. As you'll see there are varied opinions about the subject but some good cleaning methods are described in those threads.

For handles depending on what they're made of mineral oil or Renaisance Wax works well. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55927&hilit=Mineral+oil

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....as my grandpa used to say........"oil and sharpen 'em and use 'em!!!.......... ::tu:: ....................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

Thanks all for the Welcome!

Mumbleypeg, thanks for the links!

-KevinK
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK, lots of great information here. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

KevinK wrote:HI everyone,

I've had pocket knives all my life but recently getting interested in older knives. So I picked up two Camillus knives I had a few questions on. I don't mind digging around the webs myself so I'll share with what I've found out. If anyone has any additional information that would be great!

The first is a WWII era knife. Tang stamps seems to call into that 1941-1946 range, and unless I'm mistaken it was a military model. I bought it with the leather thong attached and will probably leave it. All of the blades are tight and snap back solidly except for the large blade. It folds back and stays, but no longer as the 'snap'. The take down tool? is very tight and difficult to open. I was unable to get an image of the inside but there is quite a bit of build up in there, but no active rust. The picture makes it look darker than it really is. I'm not sure I can get it lighter. It has been sharpened and 'well loved'. It is also well oiled.

Demo 1.jpg Demo 2.jpg

The 2nd knife is an Electricians Knife. While the blades are a bit tight to open, they both close with a snap. It came with a nylon sheath, that I don't think was original to the knife, but fits inside perfectly. I am thinking the date on this is 60-70's. It has been sharpened the blades do show signs of us. Again there is plenty of build up of gunk on the inside. The handle material is pretty faded and looks more grey than black.

2.jpg 1.jpg
3.jpg

I was wondering about the possibility of cleaning them up a bit. I don't plan on sharpening them anymore than they already are. I also have a number of old safety razors and know ways of cleaning them up without damaging the finish. Would it be possible to do the same to these? What about the handle materials?

Thanks all in advance!

-KevinK
.............welcome to AAPK!!!................ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..................

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”