Need some help with this Camillus Peanut

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Need some help with this Camillus Peanut

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm guessing this is the tang stamp used by Acme/Camillus post-bankruptcy, is that correct? Is there info anywhere on these modern era Camillus traditional knives? All I can seem to find are the the yello-jaket knives. I did find the same tang stamp on a knife in an AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... e-stockman
IMG_20180215_203358.jpg
IMG_20180215_203434.jpg
IMG_20180215_203457.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Vit_213

Re: Need some help with this Camillus Peanut

Post by Vit_213 »

This is the tang stamp used by Camillus pre-bankruptcy.

"During the last years that Camillus was open, it was common practice to etch the brand on the tangs. This was frequently done on blades that had another customer's brand ground off. For example-After Schrade closed in 2004 any blades remaining at the Camillus factory had the "SCHRADE" tang stamp removed and the "CamilluS" name etched in its place. Nothing was thrown away at Camillus." (Tom Williams)
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

OK, but what has me confused is that the Camillus tang stamp lists I have seen here on AAPK and elsewhere do not show this tang stamp. They say the two-line "New York U.S.A." stamp "was used by Camillus from 1989 up until its bankruptcy in 2007."

When was the "Made in the U.S.A." stamp used pre-2007? Was it only used on the rebranded Schrade blades?

The knife does look a lot like the pics of a Schrade OT "Copenhagen" single-blade peanut I have seen - which also had brass bolsters. However, the OT peanut had sawcut flat-sided delrin handles, not the full smooth black of this Camillus.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

This is not a tang stamp, it is a tang etching.
Above, I quoted Tom Williams' answer to my question about this photo
Attachments
wd-tang.jpg

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”