Is this old Camillus worth saving?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
donjr

Is this old Camillus worth saving?

Post by donjr »

Is this old Camillus worth saving and repairing? I would think that it has to be old, but I know nothing about Camillus Knives, so any help on age, pattern, etc. will be Greatly appreciated!! Thanks in Advance! donjr
Attachments
DSCN8886.JPG
DSCN8888.JPG
DSCN8889.JPG
DSCN8894.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this old Camillus worth saving?

Post by jerryd6818 »

That old EZ-Open jack is probably from just before WWI and the handles on it are just stunning. It's a shame the blade has seen so much use but what the hey. the knife is over 100 years old. Not knowing what your expectations are for the knife I couldn't possibly give you any advice as to "saving it" (what's your definition of that?) or not "saving it". What would you do to "save it" or what would you do with the knife if you didn't "save it"?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
donjr

Post by donjr »

Well, I have a feeling that it would cost more to repair it than it would ever be worth. I picked it up out of a Trash Box at an Antique store, Just couldn't walk away from it. I guess I would just sell it to someone who could use the scales, because it's like you said, they are IMHO Fantastic! Thanks for the info! donjr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Or another option is to keep it as an example of that era. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The handles are excellent examples of the old bone handles. It might be possible to fit a newer blade to the old handles and you would have a beautiful old knife that you could carry with you and use on a daily basis.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
donjr

Post by donjr »

Hey Dale,
This is Don in Tennessee. It is missing one blade completely (small blade), so how much could you fix it for? (PM ME). If I can find an older blade could you put it in, instead of a new blade? Nice to hear from you again! Don
eveled

Post by eveled »

It's a nice old knife. I hate the way blades without sharpening choils develop that recurve at the base. This knife has the choil and the recurve. ::dang:: as pointed out it is 100 years old, so it gets a pass.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”