old camillus

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
telesphore13

old camillus

Post by telesphore13 »

Early Camillus Swell Center Folding Hunter Coke Bottle Ebony 1 Blade Knife, approx. 5 1/4" closed
Looking for info.
Attachments
coke bottle.PNG
supratentorial

Re: old camillus

Post by supratentorial »

telesphore13 wrote:Early Camillus Swell Center Folding Hunter Coke Bottle Ebony 1 Blade Knife, approx. 5 1/4" closed
Looking for info.
Here's a 1936 catalog cut of the Camillus "Forest King"
1936-Forest-King.jpg
telesphore13

Post by telesphore13 »

Here is another oldie, if we can rely on the tang stamp!
Attachments
P1110336.JPG
P1110335.JPG
telesphore13

Post by telesphore13 »

Here is another picture of the tang, hopefully legible.
Attachments
P1110340.JPG
telesphore13

Post by telesphore13 »

Tang reads "CAMILLUS/CUTLERYCO/CAMILLUS.NY
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

There's probably U.S.A. stamped under the CAMILLUS, N.Y.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
telesphore13

Post by telesphore13 »

Right you are TJ, it was tucked in there and difficult to see. According to the Kastor spread sheet it would be dated 1919-41.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's a Camillus easy open That I've had for a while and always wondered if it might be a transition from 1918 to 1919. On the secondary blade it has the Early arched stamp and on the main it has the 4 line stamp. The three line straight stamp was used with the arched stamp in this manner from 1915-18. So what do you think, left over blade or cobbled knife?
Attachments
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...greg, my guess would be left-over blade?.....love that old pattern!!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

telesphore13 wrote:Right you are TJ, it was tucked in there and difficult to see. According to the Kastor spread sheet it would be dated 1919-41.
More than likely, 1941-1946. It appears to be all steel construction.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here's a Camillus easy open That I've had for a while and always wondered if it might be a transition from 1918 to 1919. On the secondary blade it has the Early arched stamp and on the main it has the 4 line stamp. The three line straight stamp was used with the arched stamp in this manner from 1915-18. So what do you think, left over blade or cobbled knife?
Is that the condition that you received the knife in? I ask because a knife that is THAT clean/shinny often goes hand in hand with a re-build.
If you cleaned it up it's likely that Carmillus is correct. ::shrug::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is an old Equal End Camillus Jack I have with what I think is an obscure or scarce tang stamp. Both the spear blade and secondary pen blade are stamped with this three line address. CAMILLUS/CUTLERY CO./CAMILLUS N.Y.---No USA. This tang stamp from what I can determine is not in Goins. Not in Knife World in the tang stamp chart or spreadsheet "The Tang Stamps of Aldoph Kastor, Camillus and the their Cutlery relatives". Not anywhere I have looked except here on AAPK. Member Orvet (Dale) has done some digging/research on the Camillus tang stamp timeline viewtopic.php?t=32125#p300330 This tang stamp comes right on the heels or right after this three line tang stamp CAMILLUS/CUTLERY CO./NEW-YORK 1915-1918. This three line tang stamp address that Dale has researched is circa 1919--1932. Maybe Dale will comment on this I hope!
Attachments
IMG_1653.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1694.jpg
Lloyd
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......don't see a mark like that in GOIN'S, but mine is an older issue.... looks identical to the 4line marking except that it is missing the "u. s. a." on the 4th line......beautiful old knife!!!.................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....finally got a chance to check the tang stamps on some of my older Camillus knives and I never realized I have 4 with that straight 3 line stamp, one is a lobster knife, the others are equal end 3 and 4 blade patterns, one is a sleeve board pattern. all have plain bar shields and rogers bone handles. i have 3 with the curved 3 line mark which I think are the oldest and also have a couple that have the 4 line stamp on the primary blade and the 3 line stamp on the secondary blade?????........the Camillus mysteries never end!!......... ::shrug:: ............................

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”