tang stamp question

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Berryb

tang stamp question

Post by Berryb »

I got this one a while ago. Used but not abused. 2 part can opener. I can't find the tang stamp anywhere. I can find half and full line references but not this one. Both my books do little more than acknowledge Camillus' existence. I understand Camillus tang stamps are kind of a moving target. Any ideas on age? Or any other information. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: tang stamp question

Post by jerryd6818 »

That tang stamp is seldom seen. It's pretty scarce. There is little to no information on the dates of use. Best guess is the 1940s and maybe some in the early 1950s. The can opener is the best indicator of age. The two piece opener was used in the 1940s (maybe some in the late 1930s) and was gone by the very early 1950s. Based on the tang stamp, handles and can opener, I would put your knife in the 1940s.

Edit: Are the bolsters, liners and pins steel? If so that would put it pretty solidly in the era of WWII.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Is that the same stamp that is marked 1946 through '56 on the Camillus charts here on the forum? It looks like the 5th one down in the right column.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote:Is that the same stamp that is marked 1946 through '56 on the Camillus charts here on the forum? It looks like the 5th one down in the right column.
Treefarmer
It is but I don't think you can hang your hat on those dates. Pretty close but not solid.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Lliners are brass, pins and bolsters are steel. Thanks
Bruce
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Berryb wrote:Lliners are brass, pins and bolsters are steel. Thanks
Bruce
That combination of material suggest to me that it was made toward the end of World War II, or at the beginning although I suspect it was towards the end. I imagine brass had become available again for my knife making but they still had a surplus of steel bolsters left that they were using up before starting how to use nickel silver again.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Berryb wrote:I got this one a while ago. Used but not abused. 2 part can opener. I can't find the tang stamp anywhere. I can find half and full line references but not this one. Both my books do little more than acknowledge Camillus' existence. I understand Camillus tang stamps are kind of a moving target. Any ideas on age? Or any other information. Thanks
Bruce
"Camillus primarily used the two piece can-opener on the four blade camp knives, including the official B.S.A. knives, from 1946 to 1948. In 1948 we began using the one piece can-opener that is still used today."
Tom Williams (2001)

My Camillus Navy and Coast Guard General Utility Knife (short line tang stamp) :roll:
Attachments
0_a5339_65bc849b_orig.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Vit_213 wrote:"Camillus primarily used the two piece can-opener on the four blade camp knives, including the official B.S.A. knives, from 1946 to 1948. In 1948 we began using the one piece can-opener that is still used today."
Tom Williams (2001)
I think you just provided me proof that the 4-blade scout knife with the 2-piece opener and short line stamp is pre-1950. Replace the pen blade with a punch and it's the same knife as yours, just much dirtier. :lol:
37522108241_cbed238c32_b.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I think you just provided me proof that the 4-blade scout knife with the 2-piece opener and short line stamp is pre-1950. Replace the pen blade with a punch and it's the same knife as yours, just much dirtier. :lol:
:D
One more knife with the 2-piece opener and short line stamp - the first Camillus official BSA knife :D
Attachments
BSA #1996 (1).jpg
BSA #1996 (2).jpg
Boys' Life (may 1947).jpg
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks for the help. Digging in and finding out about stuff is what makes collecting anything interesting. So if I'm reading this correctly the 2 piece opener puts the OP knife 1946-48. The tang stamp was used interchangeably with the short line stamp during the same period. The OP tang stamp was used for a few years longer than the short line, but may be less common.
Bruce
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Vit_213 wrote: "Camillus primarily used the two piece can-opener on the four blade camp knives, including the official B.S.A. knives, from 1946 to 1948. In 1948 we began using the one piece can-opener that is still used today."
Tom Williams (2001)
Maybe so and far be it from me to argue Camillus history with Tom BUT I present this for your consideration. That can opener is shown in the 1957 catalog. Lazy advertising people using old print cuts??????
Camillus 99 - '57 Catalog.jpg
Catalog says "Brownstag" handles, which according to catalog descriptions, was used starting about 1956 or so. My example has the no line stamp and black "shrinky dink" handles (since replaced with bone). I feel confident it's a 1940s version.
Attachments
Camillus Handle Mark Side.JPG
Can Opener.JPG
Camillus #99 After.JPG
Camillus #99 - Tang Stamp.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Jerry, I've got the same knife except with a pen blade. These knives are excellent knives for rehandling since the original handles are usually of the "shrinky-dink" variety.
100_0616.JPG
100_0617.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Spot on T.J. and that one turned out very well.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's one that was the exception to the "shrinky-dink" handles. Probably older, closer to the 1946 era, with Rogers Bone handles and the U.S.A. shield.
100_0597.JPG
100_0598.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”