Camillus "Lucky Dice" Toothpick

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Camillus "Lucky Dice" Toothpick

Post by WelderBob »

I would have never guessed Camillus made a fancy toothpick but I'm glad to see they did... :D

Trying to figure a time frame, the bolsters, swedge and etch have me thinking late 1920's to 1940..?

Bob
Attachments
IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5526.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus "Lucky Dice" Toothpick

Post by Old Folder »

Beautiful bone on that toothpick Bob.
Don't know how that etching has survived all these years, but glad for you that it did. ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Robo

Post by Robo »

Amazing! You've got me on a mission to find one as well preserved. Thanks for sharing!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a beauty. Congratulations on finding that.
Joe
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thanks guys, glad you like it.
For a knife that was used etch has held well.
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Robo

Post by Robo »

Hi Welder-Bob and all! I was studying a bunch of old hardware company catalog pages last night and I came across this ad for a tickler Federal Knife Co. sold through HSBC in 1929. I always have half an eye out for one like yours, so my little heart skipped a beat when I first saw this add. These seem to be set up differently in that It appears the "Lucky" and the four dice are embedded in the plastic covers rather than etched on the blade. Goins doesn't say anything about the Federal Knife Co. that must have sold these. another Federal was started by former Colonial employees in 1944 way after 1929. I'm wondering if perhaps Camillus made these knives for them though, as the set up is otherwise exactly the same with "Lucky" beside the dice. Love the History, Love the mystery--Cheers!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 6.06.33 AM.png
IMG_7092.jpg

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”