So the addiction begins

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
rarefish383

So the addiction begins

Post by rarefish383 »

Was helping my buddy clean out his garage and he found this knife and gave it to me. Blade stamp is Camillus 1969, Joe.
Attachments
20170626_171613[1].jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: So the addiction begins

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a good one to start with Joe. Viet Nam era. Unfortunately that gift may be the ignition for a whirlwind of new purchases that will empty your bank account, Inflate your credit card balances and we may soon see you on the street corner holding a sign that says "Will Work For Knives". :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Already have a sign that says will work for Savages. Not my first Camillus either, I just found the site trying to research the 4 line Scout Knife I found last week. Looking over the weekend, I have a Cat Fish Hunter folder. Several Barlows, several linoleum knives, a Buck rigging knife that looks like the one pictured in another thread. One of my favorite old knives is an Imperial Hopalong Cassidy. By the time I get done looking, I'd be surprised if I don't have about a dozen Camillus knives, Joe.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

Do I see a broken spring? Sure looks like it. These are commonly referred to as MIL-K (sometimes MIL-K-818). They were first made during WWII (mostly by Kingston) and discontinued after the war. Camillus started making them in 1957 or 1958, I can't remember which and made them until they closed their doors. They are known to break springs.
Attachments
Will Work For Knives.jpg
Will Work For Knives.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Nice knife. ::tu:: Unfortunately, knives (any type) are more addictive than any drug out there. You can't escape it. All you can do is feed the beast. ::nod::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'd be interested in that, just for the bail, to repair my 1976 MIL-K. Both my springs are good-for now, anyway. Or anyone?
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK.

Do I see a broken spring? Sure looks like it. These are commonly referred to as MIL-K (sometimes MIL-K-818). They were first made during WWII (mostly by Kingston) and discontinued after the war. Camillus started making them in 1957 or 1958, I can't remember which and made them until they closed their doors. They are known to break springs.
Good eye, yes broken spring, Joe.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”