Does anyone have a Camillus 53?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Does anyone have a Camillus 53?

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's a 3" Dog Leg Jack. Black synthetic handles. Spear main and pen secondary blades, both with half stops. Long line tang stamp. Probably made sometime between 1957 and 1965 because it's not in either one of those catalogs, any proceeding them or following them. The one I have doesn't have a pattern number stamped on the pile side tang and neither does the one I have coming. I did run onto one (and I can't remember where) that did have 53 stamped on the main blade. That's the only reason I know the pattern number. So I'm looking for any information on them.

Couple of pictures to help out. Here's the pattern stamp I found and both blades to go with it.
Camillus 53 Pattern Stamp.jpg
Camillus 53 Pattern Stamp 3.jpg
This is the one I have.
@ Camillus Dog Leg Jack - Open Mark.JPG
And the tang stamp.
Camillus - Tang Stamp.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
msteele6

Re: Does anyone have a Camillus 53?

Post by msteele6 »

I have a Camillus 53. It's a long line with the pattern number stamped. Appears essentially identical to the OP knife. I would estimate its age to be from 1940's - 1960's from its construction and materials. The tang stamp is pretty much useless for dating since I've seen the short line stamp used into the 1980's.

edit: changed short line to long line.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Both of the ones I have are long lines. I've not been able to find it in any of the catalogs I have access to which makes me wonder if it was only made for a short period of time, maybe that stretch between 1957 and 1965 for which I don't have a catalog. The handles would fit that period.

Mark, that picture I show above of the 53 pattern stamp may be yours. Does that main blade match yours?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

No, that's not mine. I have seen several with the pattern numbers though. ::nod::

I just went back and looked at mine and it actually has the long underline stamp, sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”