Camillus knife batch... Part Deux

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
CheckSix

Camillus knife batch... Part Deux

Post by CheckSix »

Here's three Stockman knives... the one on the left with the elliptical shield is a #69 and measures 3-7/8". The redbone in the middle is also a #69 and the one on the right is a factory polished #18 Stockman. First photo.

Below those, is a single blade equal end Jack, Long Line tang stamp, no pattern number stamped. Next 2 photos.

Last, is a camp utility knife - 4 blade/tool. Last 2 photos.
Attachments
DSC_9054.JPG
DSC_9052.JPG
DSC_9053.JPG
DSC_9050.JPG
DSC_9051.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Camillus knife batch... Part Deux

Post by Quick Steel »

Every one of these is desireable and interesting to me. Particularly drawn to the camp/utility knife as in recent weeks I have been picking up of a few of this pattern. Very fine collection. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

The bone handled 69's are one of my favorites.

The one in the middle of the first picture, is it stamped 69 or is it a 67? I've never seen a 69 wit the standard clip blade. I was under the impression that they all had the California or Turkish clip. ::shrug::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Colonel26 wrote:The bone handled 69's are one of my favorites.

The one in the middle of the first picture, is it stamped 69 or is it a 67? I've never seen a 69 wit the standard clip blade. I was under the impression that they all had the California or Turkish clip. ::shrug::
Colonel, it has no pattern number stamped. The tang stamp is 3 lines, Camillus, over New York, over USA, with a Long Line under Camillus. Maybe I'm wrong and it isn't a #69. It is exactly the same frame as the #69 on it's left and it is stamped 69. So, does the sabre grind make it a #67, albeit unstamped?
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote:The bone handled 69's are one of my favorites.

Correcto Mundo. And since the #69 is the Deluxe, it has N/S liners, N/S pins and the liners are milled (center liner only partially milled on the back and later knives not at all on the back.)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I took some more photos, but light was fading fast and the focusing was difficult.

The #69 is indeed the Deluxe model with file work on the liners. It also has two blade etches, the master says it's a Camillus Deluxe Stock Knife and the spey? says For Flesh Only.

The redbone #67?, has no pattern stamp. Tang stamp is 3 lines, with a long line under Camillus.

The #18 is highly polished.
Attachments
DSC_9063.JPG
DSC_9066.JPG
DSC_9067.JPG
DSC_9068.JPG
DSC_9069.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dave, does this mean you're collecting Camillus now or was this just a acquisition of convenience. And do you have a #14? It's just a smaller #18.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dave I have no idea what Camillus called it during that era. But it isn't a 69. Cuz has it nailed. I'm not sure what pattern that one is, but I like it.

Welcome to the world of Camillus. When speaking about Camillus we never use the words "always" or "for certain". It's "most of the time" and "maybe".

It could be worse though. With Western it's, "who knows?" Lol.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:Dave, does this mean you're collecting Camillus now or was this just a acquisition of convenience. And do you have a #14? It's just a smaller #18.
Jerry,
I've been working on this acquisition for about 4 months now... it finally came home to roost. 12 Camillus knives out of a batch of 28 total. Maybe you missed this photo I posted yesterday in the General topic long running thread, on what came in the Mail.... here it is again. There is another Camillus I haven't photographed yet, it's a 165 in the box with a sharpener. I'll shoot it tomorrow when light returns. ::tu::
Attachments
DSC_8986.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Colonel26 wrote:Dave I have no idea what Camillus called it during that era. But it isn't a 69. Cuz has it nailed. I'm not sure what pattern that one is, but I like it.

Welcome to the world of Camillus. When speaking about Camillus we never use the words "always" or "for certain". It's "most of the time" and "maybe".

It could be worse though. With Western it's, "who knows?" Lol.
haha...!!! :lol:

Did you see that I posted 3 threads in here on this batch? The 1st thread has the 4 lines and a short line. I think those are the elder knives. But like I said in that post... please help! Seriously! Help me get up the learning curve on Camillus. ::nod::
NRA Life/Endowment
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dave, Camillus tang stamps are a little uncertain and seem to have some over lap. Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -and-dates
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

gsmith7158 wrote:Dave, Camillus tang stamps are a little uncertain and seem to have some over lap. Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -and-dates
oh! Greg! that was really helpful! Many thanks! ::tu::
NRA Life/Endowment
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

CheckSix wrote:Below those, is a single blade equal end Jack, Long Line tang stamp, no pattern number stamped. Next 2 photos.
I think that this is not a factory-made knife.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Vit_213 wrote:
CheckSix wrote:Below those, is a single blade equal end Jack, Long Line tang stamp, no pattern number stamped. Next 2 photos.
I think that this is not a factory-made knife.
Please explain why you think this ...and also what you think it is. Thanks!
NRA Life/Endowment
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Tell me please opened and closed sizes.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Vit_213 wrote:Tell me please opened and closed sizes.
Vit, the closed length is 3-3/4" and the blade length is 2-7/8".
NRA Life/Endowment
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

CheckSix, I've never seen this pattern with a single blade. But to make sure that my suspicions are correct, I sent your photos to Phil Gibbs, and here is his answer:
It is 5779 pattern.
Basically the Boy Scout knife.
Never made single blade only that I am aware of.
It is either made from parts after auction, or done by bored employee!
Phil
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Vit_213 wrote:CheckSix, I've never seen this pattern with a single blade. But to make sure that my suspicions are correct, I sent your photos to Phil Gibbs, and here is his answer:
It is 5779 pattern.
Basically the Boy Scout knife.
Never made single blade only that I am aware of.
It is either made from parts after auction, or done by bored employee!
Phil
Thanks Vit! So, as I interpret what Phil is saying, he is leaving himself an out, that he was unaware of a single blade version. But he suspects it was made after 2007 or was made by a "bored" employee back in the day? Which means it was made after the factory closed by someone that knew what they were doing (it's nicely made) or it was made in the factory but not as a standard item, which also seems possible.

When Phil says "the Boy Scout knife", I assume he is referring to the CAMC4E? or is it a different model?

One thing I've heard about Camillus collecting is.... Never say never! :wink: :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

It's really nicely made, and it can be built by Wallace Rockwell.
Phil was referring to a standard Scout knife #1996 and its modifications.
Prior to 1984, for the production these knives Camillus used the #14 pattern. Then, in a few years, the #14 pattern was changed to the newer #5779 pattern.
I have several knives of these patterns. Just look at pictures and you will understand what meant Phil.
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/vit213/tag ... 014%2B5779 (all Camillus made)
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice Collection!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”