Camillius Electricians Knife 1960-76?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Metalhead

Camillius Electricians Knife 1960-76?

Post by Metalhead »

Found this with my grandfather's old tools years ago; he had retired from the Exxon refinery in the mid 70's. From what I can tell from the tang stamps referenced in this forum, this knife appears to date from 1960-76 (there is "USA" at the base, but the liner covers it). Does anyone have any more insight or corrections to the date? It is solid as a rock, easy to get razor sharp, exceptional snap, and screwdriver locks up tight with no wobble. I am guessing these were built like tanks. It is a lot of fun getting this out and putting it back to work every once in a while.
Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
JB
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillius Electricians Knife 1960-76?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Definitely 1976 or before. You can't rely on tang stamps with Camillus knives but changes in the knives are pretty solid. They changed the position of the bail between 1976 and 1977. In '65 the handles were Rosewood. Do those handles look like wood?

As an aside, I suggest you scrub down the handles with a rag and some household oil (3-In-One oil or equivalent). It won't hurt them and it will get rid of that "Delrin haze" (my name for the white frosting on the handles) and let the true color shine through. If it doesn't work then I've misdiagnosed the problem but it still won't hurt the handles.
Attachments
Camillus 27 -- 1976 - 1977 Catalog Comparison.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

I don't think I had ever even cleaned the covers. Definitely not rosewood. Here it is with the "derlin haze" knocked off.
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG
JB
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Brown Delrin® handles. 1965 was Rosewood handles so definitely late '60s-'76. You can't get much closer to the age on a Camillus than that. The clean up made it look good.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Metalhead wrote:I don't think I had ever even cleaned the covers. Definitely not rosewood. Here it is with the "derlin haze" knocked off. IMG_1230.JPGIMG_1231.JPG
Does that knife have the 0170-6C blades? If they take a quick patina, I'd bet that they are.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”