Show your Camillus Moore Makers!

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
CheckSix

Show your Camillus Moore Makers!

Post by CheckSix »

Here's some Camillus made Moore Maker Buffalo horn and yellow delrin knives. A 2305 large Stockman, a smaller 2300 stockman and 2 trappers that are the 3201 pattern.
Attachments
DSC_8875.JPG
DSC_8878.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Show your Camillus Moore Makers!

Post by carrmillus »

....I've got a moore maker split backspring buffalo horn whittler that was made off the old Camillus tooling(1914-1941).wish I could post a photo, there may be one somewhere on this forum that I sent to someone earlier??........... ::shrug:: ..................
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm a Moore Maker fan but i think all the ones i have at present are Queen and have bone or stag handles.
"Moore Maker" is (or was) 2 guys with a home office in Matador Texas. I phoned them once about 10 years ago and i talked to these 2 older guys. They were joking and having fun, no sense of stress or even being serious.
They found a good way to enjoy knives and make money: order knives from Queen & Camillus that have a slight upgrade tweak to make them stand out from the manufacturers' branded knives. Receive the knives, store 'em in the spare bedroom and ship them out with good profit as orders come in. Not a lot of risk esp. as Texans like to buy from Texas businesses.
I have had quite a few Moore Maker, never had a bad one.
My favorite is a 5503 from 1999, a 3 3/4", 5 Blade Sowbelly with smooth yellow bone, but it is a Queen so i will not post a pic in this thread which is reserved for the noble Camillus.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Roland your description of the Moore Maker operation probably isn't too far off, but it's a little more business-like than that. The Moore family has been in the business of making and selling ranching tools and equipment (fencing pliers, cattle de-horners, and such) before they ventured into knives.

Several years ago while on our way to Lubbock we took a slight detour to Matador to have lunch and see the town, which is headquarters of the historic Matador Ranch. Moore Maker was located on the edge of town in a building that includes offices, a machine shop (they don't make knives there) and a well organized warehouse and shipping area. Several members of the Moore family were there at the time. My wife and I were warmly greeted, given a tour, and treated like old friends despite having never met any of them before or since. It's called West Texas hospitality, and there's none finer. ::tu::

Ken

Edit: Sorry Dave, didn't intend to hijack your thread. I have several Moore Maker knives but I think they're all from Queen and Utica.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ken, thanks for the more accurate description. I was taking a bit of 'artistic license' with my description. I did talk with 'Dave' ? on the phone and i think he was hamming it up a little as to how small they are, for my entertainment. He did say "got 'em stored in the back bedroom".
kj
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Ken, no worries! I love the additional insight. My understanding is that the Delrin and Buffalo horn MM's were made by Camillus. But I'm just learning about these. The f&f of these is notable. Thanks!
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave, you are right that horn & Delrin MM knives were made by Camillus up to 2007. Camillus closed in 2007 & i am not familiar with who made knives after 2007.
The Stag & Yellow bone(smooth & jigged) MM's are Queen made knives.
All MM knives have 1095 steel for the blades.
I have owned both Camillus & Queen made MM knives and the overall fit, finish & workmanship is of the same high level in both.
I have never owned or seen posts about a Moore Maker with significant issues. Either the manufacturers put a little extra effort into these or Moore Maker inspects every knife and culls out any that are not as they should be.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think this now is my only Camillus made Moore Maker, a 3 3/4" double lockback. I got this knife from Wallace Rockwell who ran the Camillus Custom Shop for 34 years until 2007 closure of Camillus. There is almost no spring tension between closed and locked open positions. Wallace said that this is a common feature. Due to the design it is difficult to get the usual amount of spring tension on the blades, so most are like mine, blades stay closed but as you open them there is almost no tension on the blade. However there is no play at any point and when fully open blade is locked solidly so the lack of tension is of no functional significance.
kj
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hope you don't mind but i would like to show a Stag Moore Maker, made by Queen. This is a big, 4 1/2", heavy 2 blade Jumbo Trapper with flush & square joints and a very solid liner lock of master blade. There are half stops on both blades and strong spring tension proportional to the knife's size. Moore Maker model # 6206LL, made in 2007, purchased by me in early 2008.
I see this as a classic Moore Maker, the kind of knife that has made MM 'famous', or at least famous among knifers and Texas ranchers.
kj
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..............it's not a Camillus, but I really like that one!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .................
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The thing I like about Moore Makers, aside from the excellent construction, is that they all used to have carbon steel blades, I don't know if that is still true or not.

Here is a bone handle Camillus made Moore Maker I had but sold several years ago because I don't like a punch in a knife:
Moore Maker 5305.jpg
Moore Maker5305 b.jpg
I have a couple of the yellow Delrin Camillus made Moore Makers in my AAPK store-.
Moore Maker Muskrat a.jpg
Moore Maker Trapper b.jpg
I also have a Camillus made #2300, black Delrin, 3-3/8" mid size stockman in my collection.
I thought I had a picture of it, but I will have to get one and post it later.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is my Camillus made Moore Maker #2300. I like the rounded bolsters, very pocket friendly.
Moore Maker 2300 b.jpg
Moore Maker 2300 c.jpg

I am surprised I actually remembered to post the picture! ::facepalm::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have had quite a few Moore Maker knives, all made before Camillus closed in 2007. So really what i have (or had) are some Queen knives and some Camillus knives. Yet the Moore Maker knives whether Camillus made or Queen made always seem a little special in hand, somehow a step up.
The buffalo handled Moore Makers shown in OP i believe were made in the Camillus Custom Shop by Wallace Rockwell who ran the shop for 34 years until closing.
I am surprised that there are not more people who collect Moore Maker. They are excellent examples of some of the best workmanship in USA traditional style knives made during the last quarter of the 20th century (1975-2006). I give this time span although i do not know when the MM knives first came out. Ends in 2006 when GEC began making even better knives (opinions can vary).
I also have one MM that i EDC, a 1999 5 blade Sowbelly with smooth yellow bone. If you get a chance for one of these, it's a great knife.
kj
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Maybe one of y'all can educate me about whether or not my Moore Maker 3101LB is a Camillus. I don't remember when I got it, but I am pretty sure it was after Camillus closed in 2007. Probably closer to 2010. I read of quality issues with some Moore Makers that are now made by Bear and Sons, but I have had no issues with mine. Whatever it is, it is rock solid; one of my favorites.
Attachments
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
JB
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not kept up with Moore Maker since Camillus closed in 2007 so i do not know the maker of your lockback.
You could email Moore Maker with picture attached and ask who made it and if you find out please let the rest of us know.
kj

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”