Thoughts on this Camillus?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Hillbilly70

Thoughts on this Camillus?

Post by Hillbilly70 »

I picked this up over the weekend, any thoughts on the age?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Thoughts on this Camillus?

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'm unsure of the age---the four line tang stamp is a hint for the more knowledgeable. I like the bone, the blade looks to me like it's been modified from a spear to a "sorta" clip. Cool enough knife if ya didn't empty your pockets to get it.
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:I'm unsure of the age---the four line tang stamp is a hint for the more knowledgeable. I like the bone, the blade looks to me like it's been modified from a spear to a "sorta" clip. Cool enough knife if ya didn't empty your pockets to get it.
Thanks! I figured the tip wasn't quiet right!
I did get it at a decent price though!
bayonetman

Post by bayonetman »

The knife is a Army Engineers and Marine Corps Utility Knife, Specification 17-170 (Camillus 14L55) made circa 1942-43.
The tip has been modified from the standard spear point.
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

bayonetman wrote:The knife is a Army Engineers and Marine Corps Utility Knife, Specification 17-170 (Camillus 14L55) made circa 1942-43.
The tip has been modified from the standard spear point.
Thanks!! I know nothing about Camillus but I
Thought its was pretty old and for the price
I had to pick it up!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......the bone alone is worth whatever you paid, and the modified blade I kinda like too!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .........
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

carrmillus wrote:.......the bone alone is worth whatever you paid, and the modified blade I kinda like too!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .........
Thanks!! Yea for what ever reason they worked the blade it's still full length just the top side had been modified!!

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”