Going old school with a 72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Going old school with a 72

Post by Colonel26 »

I got home today and the two big boys were shelling some field corn to feed the chickens. They said they wanted to make a corn cob pipe (or corn on the cob pipe according to the 6 year old.

So out came the 72 and whatever cheap knives they were packing and we made a few. I don't make it a habit of pipe smoking, but I couldn't resist trying it out. Works pretty darn good!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Going old school with a 72

Post by TripleF »

Dig it Wade!!! Very cool! ::tu:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TripleF wrote:Dig it Wade!!! Very cool! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Scott!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang nab it, Cuz. You know that makes my OCD kick in.
Attachments
image.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Hey pretty cool there Wade! Regular Huck Finn, ain't ya?...so what were ya smokin' outa that there corn on the cob pipe? Looks like some sorta bubblin' crude in the bowl...black gold? Texas tea?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Probably corn silks. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Rofl! I've never smoked corn silks, rabbit tobacco, grape vine, or any other herb. Although I have a world of rabbit tobacco and wild grape vine that grows here on this hillside.

That there's Velvet pipe tobacco. I can't remember how long that pouch has been around here. Lol.
Robert E. Lee
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Colonel26 wrote:Rofl! I've never smoked corn silks, rabbit tobacco, grape vine, or any other herb. Although I have a world of rabbit tobacco and wild grape vine that grows here on this hillside.

That there's Velvet pipe tobacco. I can't remember how long that pouch has been around here. Lol.
When I was a boy I smoked rabbit tobacco out of a homemade corncob pipe. We used some kind of natural stem, I think it was dog fennel hollowed out but I am not sure ... Us boys were just like Huck Finn - we loved smoking our pipes and lazying about!
Mel
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool old school project, it turned out well. I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco, especially Old Virginia Flake. Now cigarettes are a different story. ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Colonel26 wrote:Rofl! I've never smoked corn silks, rabbit tobacco, grape vine, or any other herb. Although I have a world of rabbit tobacco and wild grape vine that grows here on this hillside.
Me and my brothers have tried them all. Plus Life Everlasting. I think grapevine about gave me pneumonia.Chewed Life Everlasting ,birch twigs(they're great)too. Haven't eaten a wild Teaberry for a long time.

Boys will be boys,I expect you already know Wade.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...........dang it, wade, now you've done flung a 'cravin' on me again!!!.............. ::ds:: ....................
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'm just a young, uneducated whipper-snapper, I hadda look up rabbit baccky....ain't young enough to try it, tho
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

When I was a boy my buds and I would grab the rabbit tobacco stalk at the bottom and slde a cupped hand towards the top pulling the leaves off and wind up with a pretty good sized chew.
We thought we was old hands at bakker chewing till we ran up on a plug of Bull O The Woods one day. HOLY MOLY! ::teary_eyes::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

gsmith7158 wrote:When I was a boy my buds and I would grab the rabbit tobacco stalk at the bottom and slde a cupped hand towards the top pulling the leaves off and wind up with a pretty good sized chew.
Sometimes when I am walking through a patch of rabbit tobacco I still strip off a quid of leaves and chew them for a few seconds. The flavor does not last long but it is unique. This thread makes me think about how few kids today ever even see a dried corn cob, much less know that you can make a pipe out of one.
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dinadan wrote:This thread makes me think about how few kids today ever even see a dried corn cob, much less know that you can make a pipe out of one.
Nor would think to wipe their butt with one.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mel it really is a shame that a lot of kids today just don't get to enjoy the simple everyday pleasures of nature that we enjoyed as kids.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......... ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ......been there, jerry!!!............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cuz ya have to have a white one and two red ones ya know. Use the red one and then the white one to see if you need the other red one!

There's actually some benefit to inhaling the smoke of rabbit tobacco. The Cherokee used it for all manner of respiratory issues. Even today some herbalists prescribe it.

What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
No but I do like Sassafras tea quite a bit.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Dinadan wrote:This thread makes me think about how few kids today ever even see a dried corn cob, much less know that you can make a pipe out of one.
Nor would think to wipe their butt with one.
Oh law Jerry, I haven't thought about that in I don't know when. You made me laugh ,because I've done it.

You guys ever put chicken feathers (2 or 3) in the end of the cob to make a whirlybird?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We had corn cob fights with 'em. Papaw fed his hogs behind the barn so there were a lot of cobs laying around. Half of the cousins would get over in the woods on the west side of the road that ran beside the barn (the road was in sort of a gully), the other half would stand on the high ground behind the barn and we would throw stuff at each other. Cobs flying west from the high ground (no cover), Walnuts, Hickory nuts, sticks and repatriated corn cobs flying east from the low ground (plenty of cover in the woods). It's a wonder we didn't put an eye out.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yep,did the same.

Lyle
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Colonel26 wrote: What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
I have never chewed sassafras. I used to drink the tea pretty often, but it has been at least a decade since my last drink. Boy, do I love the smell of sassafras when someone is digging up the roots. Sometimes on a construction site the bulldozers produce a fragrance that overpowers the diesel fumes.
Mel
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Y'all sound like a bunch of old Georgia rednecks. Ain't that a coincidence!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I used to smoke "kinikinik". I'm sure I misspelled that. A low growth herb.

As kids we used to throw Mullin spears at each other. My brother got hit in the side of the head and bled like crazy.
We all laughed. :lol:

EDIT: kinnikinnick
Joe

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”