Going old school with a 72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Going old school with a 72

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mel it really is a shame that a lot of kids today just don't get to enjoy the simple everyday pleasures of nature that we enjoyed as kids.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......... ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ......been there, jerry!!!............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cuz ya have to have a white one and two red ones ya know. Use the red one and then the white one to see if you need the other red one!

There's actually some benefit to inhaling the smoke of rabbit tobacco. The Cherokee used it for all manner of respiratory issues. Even today some herbalists prescribe it.

What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
No but I do like Sassafras tea quite a bit.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Dinadan wrote:This thread makes me think about how few kids today ever even see a dried corn cob, much less know that you can make a pipe out of one.
Nor would think to wipe their butt with one.
Oh law Jerry, I haven't thought about that in I don't know when. You made me laugh ,because I've done it.

You guys ever put chicken feathers (2 or 3) in the end of the cob to make a whirlybird?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We had corn cob fights with 'em. Papaw fed his hogs behind the barn so there were a lot of cobs laying around. Half of the cousins would get over in the woods on the west side of the road that ran beside the barn (the road was in sort of a gully), the other half would stand on the high ground behind the barn and we would throw stuff at each other. Cobs flying west from the high ground (no cover), Walnuts, Hickory nuts, sticks and repatriated corn cobs flying east from the low ground (plenty of cover in the woods). It's a wonder we didn't put an eye out.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yep,did the same.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Colonel26 wrote: What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
I have never chewed sassafras. I used to drink the tea pretty often, but it has been at least a decade since my last drink. Boy, do I love the smell of sassafras when someone is digging up the roots. Sometimes on a construction site the bulldozers produce a fragrance that overpowers the diesel fumes.
Mel
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Y'all sound like a bunch of old Georgia rednecks. Ain't that a coincidence!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I used to smoke "kinikinik". I'm sure I misspelled that. A low growth herb.

As kids we used to throw Mullin spears at each other. My brother got hit in the side of the head and bled like crazy.
We all laughed. :lol:

EDIT: kinnikinnick
Joe
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Great Uncle G.P. Young gave me my first chew at age 5. I never bought Chewing Tobacco my great uncles would give me all the Red Man or Bloodhound plug I wanted.

Those are some good times of my 1970's Childhood.
Keep Near the Cross.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Y'all sound like a bunch of old Georgia rednecks. Ain't that a coincidence!
Naw, I'm a Kentucky redneck. But I bet it's essentially the same thing! ::tu::
deltaboy wrote:My Great Uncle G.P. Young gave me my first chew at age 5. I never bought Chewing Tobacco my great uncles would give me all the Red Man or Bloodhound plug I wanted.

Those are some good times of my 1970's Childhood.
Sounds like my 1980's childhood Witt my Pa and a great uncle. Good times. I learned a lot of important lessons I'm afraid are lost in much of today's young men. But I'm trying to pass them on to me sons.
jerryd6818 wrote:We had corn cob fights with 'em. Papaw fed his hogs behind the barn so there were a lot of cobs laying around. Half of the cousins would get over in the woods on the west side of the road that ran beside the barn (the road was in sort of a gully), the other half would stand on the high ground behind the barn and we would throw stuff at each other. Cobs flying west from the high ground (no cover), Walnuts, Hickory nuts, sticks and repatriated corn cobs flying east from the low ground (plenty of cover in the woods). It's a wonder we didn't put an eye out.
Corn cob fights, and tobacco stalk sword fights. One of my older cousins got his lip cut so bad with a tobacco stalk he had to get stitches.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Colonel26 wrote: Naw, I'm a Kentucky redneck. But I bet it's essentially the same thing! ::tu::
I think a red neck is the same no matter where they grew up. ::nod::

I grew up on a ranch in Oregon. Made my own corncob pipes. Smoked dried Bracken ferns, Bull Durham (they even had Bull Durham tailor mades for a while), and most anything else that looked like it might burn. :lol:

First chew: some sort of twist I found in the gun cabinet of the neighbors ranch where I often lived & worked in the summer.
That was memorable, but not the most pleasant experience of my young life! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Colonel26 wrote:Cuz ya have to have a white one and two red ones ya know. Use the red one and then the white one to see if you need the other red one!

There's actually some benefit to inhaling the smoke of rabbit tobacco. The Cherokee used it for all manner of respiratory issues. Even today some herbalists prescribe it.

What about sassrus (sassafras) leaves. Y'all ever chewed them? I have.
.......I haven't heard that one about the 2 red ones and 1 white one in years!!!!........... ::ds:: ........................
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::idea:: ::hmm:: I've got a fresh pile of red cobs from shelling some corn today. Would that make some tradin' material? ::poke:: :)
Treefarmer
2016-09-22 001 006.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks but no thanks. They don't flush so well.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

But they are biodegradable! The greeny leftists would be so proud of you.
Robert E. Lee
wlf

Post by wlf »

Anybody ever make whirly birds out of cobs using 2 or 3 big feathers?

Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And my toilet would be stopped up worse than it is now. ::doh::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”