Odd MKII

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
cody6268

Odd MKII

Post by cody6268 »

I found this on eBay recently, sold as a Camillus Hunting Knife for $25 shipped. I looked at it, and figured it was military because of the typical Camillus military issue stamp of "U.S CAMILLUS". Seller says it's got a 6 7/8 inch blade and is 12 inches in length.

I think it's a Mark II, but the grip is odd, some kind of checkered wood or composite instead of leather wrap or washers. I first though "deck knife" then I noticed the oval pattern on the blade. Never saw one before with a checkered grip. A friend of mine that served in Vietnam said it was probably a "survival knife", and by that, I assume ASEK (Aircrew Survival and Extraction Knife), but those are somewhat smaller. Also, when was it made?

These are the listing photos provided by the seller. I just ordered it today, and it isn't here yet .

CAMILLUS_MARK_II_1.jpg
CAMILLUS_MKII_2.jpg
CAMILLUS_MKII_3.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this a Mark II?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cody, we'll need a picture in order to answer your question. Without a picture, we would be just speculating and pokin' in the dark.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Re: Is this a Mark II?

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Cody, we'll need a picture in order to answer your question. Without a picture, we would be just speculating and pokin' in the dark.
Apparently, I hit the wrong button, and it sent the post in incomplete. I've since added the photos.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Odd MKII

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ain't no thing but a ding-a-ling. You can call it a MK II if you like but if I'm not mistaken it's actually a MIL-K-20227. (same knife) The knife was made post February 1974 when Camillus dropped the N.Y. from the tang stamp.

I have one just like it that I bought in the late '70s or very early '80s. (plus a Case, an Ontario and several Ka-Bars bought later) I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 'em.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I suspect the handle could be the normal leather washers covered with some type of camo tape.

Quite a bit of knife for the $25 shipped price!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Looks almost like the handle is made of turned aluminum that has been knurled and had the camo added over it. Not my field of expertise so I'll defer to someone who is.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”