Camillus Boy Scout knives

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Camillus Boy Scout knives

Post by Papa Bones »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:26 am Nice camillus, i do like light colored scales, and they do look good. The patina helps accentuate the color of the scales. ::tu::
Appreciate it Cudgee.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today I add these two CAMILLUS Scout knives to my collection.
I took some pictures and here they are.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm Today I add these two CAMILLUS Scout knives to my collection.
I bought them just to get the CAMILLUS 1047, the white one.
Skip, you always find the nicest ones! ::groove:: those are very nice ::nod::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Gone2Three wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:11 pm Skip.....
Well..........not always, but thank you. 🍻

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm Today I add these two CAMILLUS Scout knives to my collection.
I bought them just to get the CAMILLUS 1047, the white one.
The brown pocket knife is 2 7/8" closed.
Skip ,you sure been snagging up on some Really nice pieces of Cutlery, and thanks for sharing . Just looked thru all the pages here ,Wow. Hats off to all .
That white 1047 you just posted doesn’t appear to have any cracks by the pin or shield area, great score on that one.
Thanks to all for sharing ,great stuff here ,stay safe.
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 pm Skip.....
Thank you JP.🍻

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Congrats Skip. Both good finds. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 am Congrats?....
Thank you Smitty. ::tu::

Skip
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Nice pic looks like a great pocket knife
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hideaway Knives wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm Nice.....
Thank you. 🍻

Skip
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

On the BSA Whittler #C1047's......did they have the yellow handles(what you guys are calling "white") back in the 50's/60's?

If they did, was it Delrin? Was there ever a yellow bone? Why do they have the rep for cracking....was that a 'bone' only issue?

Kevin
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Real1shep wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:42 pm On the BSA Whittler #C1047's......did they have the yellow handles(what you guys are calling "white") back in the 50's/60's?

If they did, was it Delrin? Was there ever a yellow bone? Why do they have the rep for cracking....was that a 'bone' only issue?

Kevin
Only 1980-1982, only delrin.
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

Vit_213 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:02 pm
Real1shep wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:42 pm On the BSA Whittler #C1047's......did they have the yellow handles(what you guys are calling "white") back in the 50's/60's?

Kevin
Only 1980-1982, only delrin.
What about early 60's on the Whittler? And what about the Yello-Jaket available on that knife, if ever?

Kevin
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Real1shep wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:54 pm What about early 60's on the Whittler? And what about the Yello-Jaket available on that knife, if ever?
Look in this thread my post on Jan 15, 2020. It shows #1047 knives from the early-mid 60s and 1980-1982.
The Yello-Jacket series was started in 1990, and #72Y in 1991.
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

Vit_213 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:34 pm
Real1shep wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:54 pm What about early 60's on the Whittler? And what about the Yello-Jaket available on that knife, if ever?
Look in this thread my post on Jan 15, 2020. It shows #1047 knives from the early-mid 60s and 1980-1982.
The Yello-Jacket series was started in 1990, and #72Y in 1991.
OK, I see two knives...the Yello-Jacket(I've been seeing it spelled 'Jaket') is newer like 80's. The other whittler is older like mine. What I can't tell is if the whittler blade is saber or flat from the pic? Mine is saber and I was told it's a #C1047. So no Yello #1047 in the 60's, but the 'white' handles?

Kevin
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Real1shep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 am (I've been seeing it spelled 'Jaket')
You're right. The correct name is "Yello-Jaket".
Post a photo of your knife to make it easier for us to talk.
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:25 am
Real1shep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 am (I've been seeing it spelled 'Jaket')
You're right. The correct name is "Yello-Jaket".
Post a photo of your knife to make it easier for us to talk.
Here is a pic. Knife on right is the one I bought when I was 8....around 1961. The other knife is an 80's something I bought. I broke the spring on the '61 and had a knife 'maker' fix it. He put in the wrong pins(copper) on the ends and over-buffed my handles where the copper rivet is....why I don't know.

I was going to sacrifice the 80's whittler handles to put on the '61, but everyone is saying don't ruin the 80's. So now....thinking of just having the correct silver nickle pins put in and calling it good.

Kevin
Attachments
Camillus folder 1.jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Real1shep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm Knife on right is the one I bought when I was 8....around 1961.
Hmm... ::hmm::
On the right, I see a knife that was made in the second half of the 70s. Maybe until the mid-80s, but excluding the period 1980-1982.
1. Delrin of this color Camillus began to use since the 70s.
2. The round shield on the Whittlers appeared around 1967-1969 (before that it was federal).
3. Camillus began to use one-pin scales in the mid-70s (before that it was three-pin).
Thus, either you are confusing the date of purchase of this knife, or it has been redesigned.
The knife on the left was made sometime between 1989 and 2006.
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:47 pm
Real1shep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm Knife on right is the one I bought when I was 8....around 1961.
On the right, I see a knife that was made in the second half of the 70s. Maybe until the mid-80s, but excluding the period 1980-1982.
2. The round shield on the Whittlers appeared around 1967-1969 (before that it was federal).
3. Camillus began to use one-pin scales in the mid-70s (before that it was three-pin).
Thus, either you are confusing the date of purchase of this knife, or it has been redesigned.
I hate to say it, but you're wrong on the knife...on the right. Bought when I was 8, 1961. No confusion on my part. I don't know enough about these knives yet to say why you're wrong, but the provenance is rock solid.

I don't see how it's possible the knife 'maker' could have plugged the other two hole and/or used newer handles with the Boy Scout logo. He didn't even have the NS pins, so doubtful he put on used handles from another knife. And they are used because you can see wear on the emblem compared to the 80's Whittler that has never been used.

Kevin
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Real1shep wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:57 am I hate to say it, but you're wrong on the knife...on the right. Bought when I was 8, 1961. No confusion on my part. I don't know enough about these knives yet to say why you're wrong, but the provenance is rock solid.

I don't see how it's possible the knife 'maker' could have plugged the other two hole and/or used newer handles with the Boy Scout logo. He didn't even have the NS pins, so doubtful he put on used handles from another knife. And they are used because you can see wear on the emblem compared to the 80's Whittler that has never been used.

Kevin
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but I say what I see. If you are sure that this is really your knife, then the scales have been replaced. After the knife 'maker' disassembled it, nothing prevented him from doing it. I don't see any other options. If this knife 'maker' could not find the correct pins, then he could have installed scales from another era. What reasons he had for this, I do not know.
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Real1shep wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:57 am
Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:47 pm
I hate to say it, but you're wrong on the knife...on the right. Bought when I was 8, 1961. No confusion on my part. I don't know enough about these knives yet to say why you're wrong, but the provenance is rock solid.

Kevin
Kevin,
Can you provide a close up of the knife on the right that is in question? I saved your picture offline and zoomed in and it looks like the handle is pinned deep to make it look as if nothing is there. If it does have 3 pins then your time line would be correct.
David
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Real1shep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm Here.....
Just going by the tang stamps on each pocket knife.
Picture #1 is the date range for the pocket knife on the left.
Picture #2 is the date range for the pocket knife on the right.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

OK, here are some hopefully better pics.

What were saying here is preposterous. I asked my dad about the knife when I found it. He sad yes, he found it at the base of a tree and threw it in a drawer.

Otherwise, we are proposing that I'm lying, which I have nothing to gain.....or that my dad bought the exact same knife in the 70's, put blood on it and threw it in a drawer.

I can't account for it having the one handle rivet. My dad knew nothing of knives and I never knew him to have one other than on a money clip.

If it was a three rivet knife, then we propose that the knife 'maker' used other handles with the BSA emblem that were the newer one rivet design. Given that he made no effort to find the NS pins for the ends, it's highly doubtful he sources used handles for the knife. But out of all the bizarre possibilities, that's one I can't rule out. He might have broken the original handles when taking it apart. And if we figure these Whittlers were fairly common back in the 80's maybe he sourced one. Couldn't have bought new handles from Camillus(if they sold such a thing), because there is hand wear on the emblem itself from me using it as a boy.

Or....that's not my original emblem at all, but some used handles with a companion used emblem.

*Update;So I looked inside the knife with a flashlight and INDEED I see the remnants of the other rivets on both sides! So Vit was correct and I was correct(sorry Vit). I did buy a three rivet Knife in 1961 and the knife 'maker' further eliminated any evidence of the correct yr it was made. I made it very clear to him that it was an original knife from my youth and I wanted it repaired to exactly how it was. Money was not an issue then and I gave him free rein.

Now this sort of changes everything, because we strayed even further from the knife's authenticity.

Kevin
Attachments
New Whittler pic 1.jpg
New Whittler pic 2.jpg
Real1shep

Post by Real1shep »

Originally, my emblem might have looked like this? I have no recollection that far back.....a member's knife recently posted.

Kevin
Attachments
Older Whittler rivet design.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Kevin, glad you researched a little more and am very sorry that the repairman took liberties with your knife. Also, I don't know anyone more upstanding and knowledgeable about Camillus knives that Vit. There are some very reputable knife repairmen here that could probably put the knife back to it's original condition. I am of fan of the Camillus 72 and also understand the emotional attachment one can get with a knife. ::handshake::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”