camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: camillus #72

Post by Colonel26 »

Edgewise wrote:Going through this thread is enough to convert anyone to the #72 and it's not even a Case.
Not to seem disloyal but is there another thread devoted to a single pattern to match this one? ( :x :x ::td:: ::td:: ::disgust:: ::disgust:: )
I’d say you’re right. I don’t know if any single pattern that evokes this kind of response from so many.

I’m surprised that a pattern so popular hasn’t been picked up by another maker. I’d think this would be annatural for someone like GEC.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote:
Edgewise wrote:Going through this thread is enough to convert anyone to the #72 and it's not even a Case.
Not to seem disloyal but is there another thread devoted to a single pattern to match this one? ( :x :x ::td:: ::td:: ::disgust:: ::disgust:: )
I’d say you’re right. I don’t know if any single pattern that evokes this kind of response from so many.

I’m surprised that a pattern so popular hasn’t been picked up by another maker. I’d think this would be annatural for someone like GEC.
Great Eastern came close with the 33 Conductor but you know how the saying goes, close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes (and washers if you're from the South :mrgreen: )
Attachments
331211 - Burnt Stag.JPG
331211-bal-burnt-stag10.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...haven't heard that old saying in a while, jerry!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:

Great Eastern came close with the 33 Conductor but you know how the saying goes, close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes (and washers if you're from the South :mrgreen: )
You’re right, close. They need to stretch it out a bit and add a blade.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

jerryd6818 wrote:David, that's a good start you have going there. The Craftsman looks like it has bone handles. ::tu::
Thank you Jerry and yes it has bone covers.
Colonel26 wrote:Great pile of 72 clones there David.
Thank you Colonel.
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I had been watching for a 72 with bone handles and found them to be few and far between. Saw this little special edition and decided that would be a good choice. They have been posted here before but not this one. Thanks for looking.
DSCN5377.JPG
DSCN5378.JPG
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....why they didn't do that one in rogers bone i'll never know???................ ::td:: ..................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

doglegg wrote:I had been watching for a 72 with bone handles and found them to be few and far between. Saw this little special edition and decided that would be a good choice. They have been posted here before but not this one. Thanks for looking.DSCN5377.JPGDSCN5378.JPG
Floyd, those were made in the early '90s. I don't know if that was a factory special for Sears but I do know it was in a 1991 Sears Christmas Catalog (or advertisement?). see below
Sears 1991 Christmas Catalog.jpg
Not sure of the timing but there were only three variations made with those bone handles. That one, one for SMKW with a main blade etch "Ole Smoky" and one that was just a plain Jane.
Attachments
Camillus 72 '89-Close Ole Smoky SMKW - Open Mark.JPG
Camillus 72 - '89 to Close Black Bone Handles (1990s) - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

carrmillus wrote:.....why they didn't do that one in rogers bone i'll never know???................ ::td:: ..................
Tommy, Rogers Bone was no longer available in the '90s when those knives were made. So now you know. As far as I am aware of, those three knives were the only bone handle knives Camillus made after they stopped using bone for handles somewhere in the late '50s or very early '60s.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....wonder what ever happened to the tooling they used to produce ROGERS BONE????............... ::shrug:: ..............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote:.....wonder what ever happened to the tooling they used to produce ROGERS BONE????............... ::shrug:: ..............
From what I’ve read, it still exists and is owned by the family.
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

This is my most treasured 72. It's my only first-gen and my only bone 72. Also, it's got Rogers bone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
2019-03-04_07-02-39.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Jerry for the information. I will keep my eye out for the other ones. ::handshake::
Tony that is awesome. What a great old knife. And a great photo as well. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh Tony. Yum, Yum.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Tsar Bomba wrote:This is my most treasured 72. It's my only first-gen and my only bone 72. Also, it's got Rogers bone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
...I've got this one's twin brother and 2 others with darker bone!!,,they are among my favorites!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The Camillus first gen 72 bone handles double saber grind on the master 1946-50 shortline is in my opinion one of the most undervalued classic knives that one can possess. If you see one you had better get it! ::nod::
Attachments
013 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

doglegg wrote:I had been watching for a 72 with bone handles and found them to be few and far between. Saw this little special edition and decided that would be a good choice. They have been posted here before but not this one. Thanks for looking.DSCN5377.JPGDSCN5378.JPG
Good score doglegg! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Tony and Greg those two are real beauties!
David
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

DM11 wrote:Tony and Greg those two are real beauties!
Thanks David! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

gsmith7158 wrote:The Camillus first gen 72 bone handles double saber grind on the master 1946-50 shortline is in my opinion one of the most undervalued classic knives that one can possess. If you see one you had better get it! ::nod::
Very nice Greg!! :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

DM11 wrote:
Good score doglegg! ::tu::
Thanks David. ::nod::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

gsmith7158 wrote:The Camillus first gen 72 bone handles double saber grind on the master 1946-50 shortline is in my opinion one of the most undervalued classic knives that one can possess. If you see one you had better get it! ::nod::
Well Greg I'd like to get one but it seems they all end up in GA :D
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Well Greg I'd like to get one but it seems they all end up in GA :D
::rotflol:: ::nod::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I just picked this one up...I have never studied these, but I assume that this one is a short line?

Nice tan Rogers bone, blades have seen very little use.
Attachments
IMG_8754.JPG
IMG_8755.JPG
IMG_8763.JPG
IMG_8764.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....that one is definitely a winner!!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”