camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
SolWarrior

Re: camillus #72

Post by SolWarrior »

I saw the listing earlier and went back to see it again just now. The blades look great. Not much wear for a 2nd Gen. All in all a very sweet deal, Greg. ::tu::

Last week I was going through this thread checking for photos of the pile on a 2nd G's main blade trying to figure out if the full sabre grind on both sides had been phased out during the short line period or not. I got up to page 72, didn't find any (but did see it on this one that Greg just won) so my best guess is that it was phased out along with the 1st G's and the change of blade configuration in 1947. I think I remember seeing some later models with sabre grind on both side too, then discontinued again, but not sure.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

SolWarrior wrote:I saw the listing earlier and went back to see it again just now. The blades look great. Not much wear for a 2nd Gen. All in all a very sweet deal, Greg. ::tu::

Last week I was going through this thread checking for photos of the pile on a 2nd G's main blade trying to figure out if the full sabre grind on both sides had been phased out during the short line period or not. I got up to page 72, didn't find any (but did see it on this one that Greg just won) so my best guess is that it was phased out along with the 1st G's and the change of blade configuration in 1947. I think I remember seeing some later models with sabre grind on both side too, then discontinued again, but not sure.
Felix the knife that I just won doesn't have a sabre grind on the pile side. I have only seen one other knife that has the double sided sabre grind on the master other than the first gens and Jerryd owns it, a long line 1047 scout knife.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Hey Greg You own a double sabre grind 72! With Case green bone scales. The only one on the planet Buddy! ::tu::
20170413_153151.jpg
So I had to look through my pile of 72's and found these. All short line the ones on the far left and the far right are second gen, the one in the middle is a first gen.
20170425_082127.jpg
20170425_082206.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I'll be doggone Randy! Those are the first second gens I have seen with the double sided master. That's a couple of keepers for sure. I would bet a dollar to a donut that my Cam-Case 72 is the only one out there! ::super_happy:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Greg, yeah, I saw that it wasn't sabre grind on the pile side. Thank for the info.

Randy, I saw the rehandling process on your thread. Great job! ::tu:: I thnik Greg owns more than one 1st G 72 but that one is a one of a kind for sure. Can't be positive (I'm on a cell) but both 2nd gens seem to have a sabre grind on the pile side too.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Felix and yes both second gens have the double sabre grind. :D .
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....this is gettin' confusing, guys!!!, I've got 4- split-spring whittlers(4 line) that are flat ground on both sides-3- 1st.gen(short line stamp) that are sabre ground on both sides-I have 1 first gen. that is sabre ground on both sides, marked on the master(mark side)-sword brand, pile side is 4 line stamped, it also has worked liners and a big oval 4 pointed shield and smooth brown bone. 3 of my earlier second gens are sabre ground on the mark side only, later ones are flat ground on both sides.....is everyone else as confused as I am????.................... ::facepalm:: .................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:....this is gettin' confusing, guys!!!, I've got 4- split-spring whittlers(4 line) that are flat ground on both sides-3- 1st.gen(short line stamp) that are sabre ground on both sides-I have 1 first gen. that is sabre ground on both sides, marked on the master(mark side)-sword brand, pile side is 4 line stamped, it also has worked liners and a big oval 4 pointed shield and smooth brown bone. 3 of my earlier second gens are sabre ground on the mark side only, later ones are flat ground on both sides.....is everyone else as confused as I am????.................... ::facepalm:: .................
Tommy it is indeed a mystery with many twists! ::tease::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

At first I felt like ::idea:: when I thought that Camillus had phased out the sabre grind on the pile side along with the change of blade configuration in 1947. Then Randy popped with 2 2nd gens with full sabre grind on both sides. "Camillus, man." ::hmm:: <~ That was my first reaction when Randy came up with his 2 2nd gens. And now Tommy comments... ::doh:: It's crazier than Schrade with their blade grinds but the good thing is that Camillus stamps are a bit easier to date than Schrade stamps ... I think.

Edit: it's easier for me though since I'm only looking for a 1946 model and that one only comes with the two sided sabre grind main with the pen blade next to it.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I'm in the dark as much and probably more than most folks interested in the 72s. 1st generation, 2nd generation, etc.. ::shrug:: However I do know one thing and that is, I am the proud owner of one of the finest lookin' 72s that I've see on the forum. It's not mint but a great old knife that was gifted to me by my Marine brother, Jerryd! I've had it for several years and it truly lives up to the quote by TJ Murphy that Jerry has on his posts, "The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife." This is one of those knives that gets very little pocket time but is admired and appreciated for what it is and even more, what it represents! Thank you again, Jerry! ::handshake::
If I read it right it is a 1st generation, short line, sabre grind both sides of the clip with beautiful perfect bone. 1946-50? If I'm not readin' her right, please set me straight. Hoping it's from that era, seein' how I'm a 1946 model. :)
Here's what I'm so proud of:
006.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Yes sir! It's a 1st gen and a right nice looking knife. I love me a 72!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Treefarmer
Top 72 first generation knife.Love the bone.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thats one nice 72 Treefarmer! ::tu:: ::nod::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Phillip that's a dandy Allright . That ole Jerryd ain't half bad either is he?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......tf, that is one of the best looking 1st gen. '72's ive seen!!.......how did you talk jerryd out of that one??........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think either of these look real bad.
Attachments
Camillus 72 Short Line Bone - 1st Gen - Labeled.JPG
DSC06478.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

:shock: Wow Jerry those are right purty! ::nod:: Love those bone scales ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

With a saber ground clip, both sides, is the blade beside it always a pen ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

First gen show and tell!
Attachments
021.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:With a saber ground clip, both sides, is the blade beside it always a pen ?
kj
Yes Kj .

Edit: I take that back. Randy has two with the coping blade next to the double side master.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

treefarmer wrote:I'm in the dark as much and probably more than most folks interested in the 72s. 1st generation, 2nd generation, etc.. ::shrug:: However I do know one thing and that is, I am the proud owner of one of the finest lookin' 72s that I've see on the forum. It's not mint but a great old knife that was gifted to me by my Marine brother, Jerryd! I've had it for several years and it truly lives up to the quote by TJ Murphy that Jerry has on his posts, "The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife." This is one of those knives that gets very little pocket time but is admired and appreciated for what it is and even more, what it represents! Thank you again, Jerry! ::handshake::
If I read it right it is a 1st generation, short line, sabre grind both sides of the clip with beautiful perfect bone. 1946-50? If I'm not readin' her right, please set me straight. Hoping it's from that era, seein' how I'm a 1946 model. :)
Here's what I'm so proud of:
006.JPG004.JPG003.JPG

Treefarmer
Treefarmer, That is one sweet looking 72. ::super_happy:: Yes, it's from that era, and if you're a 1946 model you'll be very happy to know that the 72 you have there with the beautiful Rogers bone is also a 1946 model. I'm very glad for, buddy. ::ds:: I am stunned that Jerry would have let go of a classic beauty like that. That is one top notch class act by Jerry. ::tu:: ::tu::

Those are a couple of very nice 72s, Jerry. I especially like the top one. That yellowish Rogers bone color is awesome!

Greg, you're a wealthy 1st G man. Those are some real nice ones. I see you got your freshly rehandled 72 with you now. Nice addition to the rest. ::tu:: ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Let me add an additional question to KJ's for the experts. Does the coping blade always have a half stop position or is it what ever blade is on that single end of the #72? ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

treefarmer wrote:Let me add an additional question to KJ's for the experts. Does the coping blade always have a half stop position or is it what ever blade is on that single end of the #72? ::shrug::
Treefarmer
Phillip, judging by the ones that I have the half stop on the single end blade fell by the wayside with the second generation.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, the half stop is a rare duck. So rare that I didn't even remember it existing on a 72.

This one was stolen from my mailbox. That was almost two years ago and it still pisses me off and I got it for a song which adds insult to injury. Seller's picture.
Attachments
Stolen from Mailbox - Labeled.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Wow, Jerry. A real bummer. :x But I'm sure you know that's a 2nd gen. You're probably just so pissed when you posted we'll chalk it off to temporary blindness. :wink:

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”