camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
knifetime

Re: camillus #72

Post by knifetime »

jerryd6818 wrote:knifetime -- If those handles are bone it would make that the first 72 made with bone handles since sometime in the 1950s (maybe 1940s). SMKW doesn't usually go to any extra added expense. I'm just sayin'... it's difficult to tell the difference sometimes.
You sure are right about that Jerry.May be this will clear things up some.My knife is #72B three blade knife, (Ole Smokey) , jigged brown bone handles.I cant wait to git the knife in hand.It came with the original box so may be it will give the info we need or at the very least some new info.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang, knifetime. It was bad enough it's an "Ole Smoky" but now it has bone handles too. Now I gotta have one. ::ds::

Looking forward to pictures.

Edit: I've got to stop being so definite about my statements. "No bone handled Camillus 72s since the '50s". Fooey! What a dummy. Wrong twice in one day. Hope this doesn't get to be a habit.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

LoL that's what I said win I saw it Jerry.This E-Mail is from the guy I got it from it may help.

Hello , Thank you for your order for the Camillus knife. Your package went out to you this AM and is scheduled to deliver on Thursday 9/27/12. This was a special for SMKW, but the pattern was in their regular line with delrin handles. I know you will enjoy it, Thanks again and please keep my store in your favorites.Ray

So it seems they were done in bone and derlon handles.That must be what the 72B is all about.That is how I take it Jerry.Hope we git some good info on it.
Don't fill bad Jerry it seems,from reading your other post, you're still right 99% of the time lol.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifetime wrote:LoL that's what I said win I saw it Jerry.This E-Mail is from the guy I got it from it may help.

Hello , Thank you for your order for the Camillus knife. Your package went out to you this AM and is scheduled to deliver on Thursday 9/27/12. This was a special for SMKW, but the pattern was in their regular line with delrin handles. I know you will enjoy it, Thanks again and please keep my store in your favorites.Ray

So it seems they were done in bone and derlon handles.That must be what the 72B is all about.That is how I take it Jerry.Hope we git some good info on it.
Don't fill bad Jerry it seems,from reading your other post, you're still right 99% of the time lol.
Check your PMs.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

PM sent Jerry.
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I just got the Camillus 72B we had talked about in this post and all I can say is WoW what a nice knife.Bone handles and all mint.The knife, box and papers look like they did from the factory.It is my first 72 and I can sure see why you would want one.I have fond a new love the 72s.Now to find another lol.
sharpen your knife !!!
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Well Jerry, looks like their thinning the herd on ya!! ::nod::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh sugar. Competition. Just what I need. :lol:

T.J. he lives over in your neck of the woods. Can you take care of a little business for me?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, my competition didn't get this one.
Attachments
Camillus 72 - '60 to '76 White Scout - Mark Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

jerryd6818 wrote:Well, my competition didn't get this one.

That is a nice one.
No comp hear guys that 72B was my 1st 72.After getting my hands on that one I sure would buy another if I git a chance.I would love to have one like you got there Jerryd that is a sweet one.
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank you. Dale (orvet) has one here on AAPK in his store.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 40607.html
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I got some pics of the 72B.They are not as good as the store pics but they are closer to the right color of the bone.I saw right of that the bone color and jigging where the same as on the Remington Bullet remakes I have that where made by Camillus.The muskrat looks darker but it is the same color.

I'm sold on the 72 thanks to you guys.I had never given them much thought until l read some of the post on AAPK and saw some nice pics of the 72.Thanks
Attachments
DSCF0135.JPG
DSCF0138.JPG
DSCF0148.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Jerry, I think you've created a monster............."HE'S ALIVE.........HE'S ALIVE".............

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

By golly, you're right. It is the same jigging. Looks like the same bone & jigging as on the 100 year anniversary that has ducks engraved on the blade. I'm guessing all three were made around the same time.

T.J. -- Twasn't me Boss. Twas the knife what done it. ::nod::
Shakin' it Boss.
Attachments
DSC04075.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

jerryd6818 wrote:By golly, you're right. It is the same jigging. Looks like the same bone & jigging as on the 100 year anniversary that has ducks engraved on the blade. I'm guessing all three were made around the same time.

T.J. -- Twasn't me Boss. Twas the knife what done it. ::nod::
Shakin' it Boss.
That is a nice one.
That is what I thought to,same bone.
I no the Remington is a 1988.
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm just guessing but the Camillus was probably made right around the same time. That tang stamp is generally accepted as being first used in 1989 or so which begs the question, how could that knife be a 100 year Anniversary knife when the Camillus anniversary was 1976? I like cold hard facts and all that information just doesn't jive for me.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I found something that may help us.
This is from"History of Camillus"
In 1902 Kastor, purchased a small cutlery manufacturing firm in Camillus , N.Y. from Charles Sherwood. That was the beginning of Camillus Cutlery Company. Imported and U.S. made knives were under both Kastor and Camillus names.
So Kastor was in business in 1872 he did not buy Camillus till 1902 that would make the 100 year Anniversary 2002 and right about the same time your knives were made.
Attachments
camillushistory1.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I understand your reasoning knifetime and you may be on to something. When Camillus released their 100th anniversary knives they put 1876-1976 on the COA's but the COA for this knife never really states it's an anniversary knife. Read it and let me know what you think. In my opinion, it's cleverly worded to be ambiguous.
Attachments
COA for 72 100th Anniversary.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Made a good sales pitch.You are right about that COA"ambiguous"was a good word for it.
I did E-Mail SMKW so maybe we can git some new info there.
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It will be interesting to see what SMKW says.

BTW, on another chicken, a McGrew is up now on eBay, just in case you're interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-McGREW- ... 51a209823c
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I sure am.So Jerry was that McGrew a Camillus?

I'm looking at a Yellow Jaket Moore Mans feed unused #72 that looks real nice.My dad worked in a feed mill 34 years.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140856236148?ss ... 1423.l2649
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pretty sure the McGrews were made by Camillus. They have all the ear-marks of a Camillus, from the matchstrike pull on the main blade to the way the handles are attached.

I saw the Moore Mans feed knife. Looks pretty nice. I won't be bidding. Since it's being sold by The Dusty Duck, I expect it to go for at least $35-$45 if not more. He has a pretty loyal following. JMO
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Is this ole scout on a 72 frame...
or is it called a 72 scout??
or .. . . 3 5/8" ???
Attachments
CAM-scout.JPG
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Yeh it is but it seems the Scouts were not numbered, at least mine was not.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MrBlister wrote:Is this ole scout on a 72 frame...
or is it called a 72 scout??
or .. . . 3 5/8" ???
Jeez, Mr.B -- That's a short line, made in the late '40s. (I'm gonna say real late '40s since it has the small clip blade) Has those funky black shrinky dink composite handles but looks to be in real good condition except for the tip on the small clip blade. How long ya had it?

T.J. -- I just looked and neither one of my #72 Scouts has the 72 on the back of the blade.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”