camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
SolWarrior

Re: camillus #72

Post by SolWarrior »

Kj, not if you're looking for a particular 72. No pickings whatsoever. I'm still looking for a 1st G user in great to excellent condition. I have not seen a single short line 72 in bone on the bay since that one that's still there going for $150 with the questionable front bone cover. (It's got a big gap too.)

It went down to $127.50 for a few days and then back up to the $150.00. I guess it's some sorta marketing scheme to draw attention. It got 3-4 more watchers, but that's it.

When I bid on the 2nd G. that most felt was too high a price, and it was, but found another 2nd G on here https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... illus%2072 that sold for $99.95 + 5.50 shipping. I wonder who got that one? The other sold for $82.17 and had blades that were also tight, with great snap and "looked as if they were unused" according to the seller. When I saw this one it made me wonder then if I was really off by much with my top bid of $81.17.

I bought one for $5.00 about a week ago just to see how it felt in my hands. (I have big hands) The main blade had a wobble but I hammered it with a rubber mallet and now the blade is slow but coming back slowly. It's not what I want but... I guess it's about hunt too, huh? What else can I say besides that they're addictive? :lol:

Pics are from eBay
Tux.jpg
Tux 2.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

SolWarrior wrote:Kj, not if you're looking for a particular 72. No pickings whatsoever. I'm still looking for a 1st G user in great to excellent condition. I have not seen a single short line 72 in bone on the bay since that one that's still there going for $150 with the questionable front bone cover. (It's got a big gap too.)

It went down to $127.50 for a few days and then back up to the $150.00. I guess it's some sorta marketing scheme to draw attention. It got 3-4 more watchers, but that's it.

When I bid on the 2nd G. that most felt was too high a price, and it was, but found another 2nd G on here https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... illus%2072 that sold for $99.95 + 5.50 shipping. I wonder who got that one? The other sold for $82.17 and had blades that were also tight, with great snap and "looked as if they were unused" according to the seller. When I saw this one it made me wonder then if I was really off by much with my top bid of $81.17.

I bought one for $5.00 about a week ago just to see how it felt in my hands. (I have big hands) The main blade had a wobble but I hammered it with a rubber mallet and now the blade is slow but coming back slowly. It's not what I want but... I guess it's about hunt too, huh? What else can I say besides that they're addictive? :lol:

Pics are from eBay
Tux.jpg
Tux 2.jpg
I have big hands too. Typically, 4-4.25 inch knives are my sweet spot. But somehow or another the 72 fits just fine. I say it's the biggest little knife you'll ever use.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

"I have big hands too. Typically, 4-4.25 inch knives are my sweet spot. But somehow or another the 72 fits just fine. I say it's the biggest little knife you'll ever use."

Yep, I gotta agree with every word, Colonel. Well said. ::tu:: Must be the swell center...and of course, the blade selection... ..and configuration (w/ the 1ST Gs). It's also a lot more pocket friendlier than the 4" stockman for example. I can imagine a 1st G in bone in my right pocket. 8) Perfection. ::nod::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

SolWarrior wrote:"I have big hands too. Typically, 4-4.25 inch knives are my sweet spot. But somehow or another the 72 fits just fine. I say it's the biggest little knife you'll ever use."

Yep, I gotta agree with every word, Colonel. Well said. ::tu:: Must be the swell center...and of course, the blade type selection... ..and configuration (w/ the 1ST Gs). It's also a lot more pocket friendlier than the 4" stockman for example. I can imagine a 1st G in bone in my right pocket. 8) Perfection. ::nod::
......I love 'em, too, but my favorite to carry is the first one, the old split spring whittler(1914-1941)....if my grandpa had his pants on, there was one of those in his pocket!!, plus a Camillus sunfish!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"my favorite to carry is the first one, the old split spring whittler(1914-1941)"
Hi Carr, i would like to see a picture or 2 of this pre 1941 whittler. I bet others would too.
roland
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........somewhere on this forum are some photo's of some of mine that jerryd posted for me(thanks again, jerry), I am the world's biggest electronics dummy!!...computers are the reason I'm not working anymore!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

carrmillus wrote:......I love 'em, too, but my favorite to carry is the first one, the old split spring whittler(1914-1941)....if my grandpa had his pants on, there was one of those in his pocket!!, plus a Camillus sunfish!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Tommy, is that split spring whittler you speak of a Camillus? I saw one I believe was selling for $45 originally but sold for $40. Here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... 20whittler The listing says c. 1919 - 1941. I would have gone for it but all three blades had wobble and were really worn, especially the two smaller blades. Very nice bone handles though.

PS - It's a love/hate relationship with computers for me. I love all the info and great finds that come with it but it takes me away from the real world and nature. :?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Sol, the first generations are real nice. I have a couple that I occasionally carry. But don't discount the later ones. I have later generation in real good shape that I carry a lot, especially if doing wood work. That small clip is real handy and like a scalpel too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

SolWarrior wrote:
carrmillus wrote:......I love 'em, too, but my favorite to carry is the first one, the old split spring whittler(1914-1941)....if my grandpa had his pants on, there was one of those in his pocket!!, plus a Camillus sunfish!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Tommy, is that split spring whittler you speak of a Camillus? I saw one I believe was selling for $45 originally but sold for $40. Here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... 20whittler The listing says c. 1919 - 1941. I would have gone for it but all three blades had wobble and were really worn, especially the two smaller blades. Very nice bone handles though.

PS - It's a love/hate relationship with computers for me. I love all the info and great finds that come with it but it takes me away from the real world and nature. :?
....I saw that one but didn't bid on it, I have one that is in near mint condition, I think I paid $175.00 for it...the other 2 i have are not in as good condition, and that's the two I carry occasionally............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Colonel26 wrote:Sol, the first generations are real nice. I have a couple that I occasionally carry. But don't discount the later ones. I have later generation in real good shape that I carry a lot, especially if doing wood work. That small clip is real handy and like a scalpel too.
I get your point. Makes sense to use a newer model for regular & tough jobs. My preference for the earlier models - aside from the blade configuration - comes from noticing that the farther back one goes the better the quality. And that's not only with Camillus. I've noticed that with Schrade and others too. However, I would not use a 1st G on any tough jobs, just smaller ones and to enjoy, and to profile of course. :)
carrmillus wrote:....I saw that one but didn't bid on it, I have one that is in near mint condition, I think I paid $175.00 for it...the other 2 i have are not in as good condition, and that's the two I carry occasionally............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
Tommy, that's awesome! ::ds:: When I have time I'll have to look back on this thread to try and find your split spring whittlers that Jerry posted for you. ::tu::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Colonel26 wrote:I have big hands too. Typically, 4-4.25 inch knives are my sweet spot. But somehow or another the 72 fits just fine. I say it's the biggest little knife you'll ever use.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels exactly this way. I love me some Case 75s, but the Camillus 72 just seems to "fit" for a knife that barely peeks out the top of the watch pocket. I avoided the medium/sub-4" whittlers for so long but when I got my hands on my first 72 I couldn't believe how much bigger it feels in hand.

Dipped my toe into the "deep end" of the 72s this week with my newest acquisition. Saber grind on one side only, long-line stamp: 3rd gen? 1970s? Also got a user 72 in the Yello-Jaket pants which turned out to be near-minty itself, but it'll definitely be used.
33926282961_3e87e25e63_b.jpg
33670881050_b805595fc4_b.jpg
33670778060_8d3bc4f460_b.jpg
33926293231_fa87c93915_b.jpg
Anyone know what kind of stainless Camillus used on these later models? 440A? I plan on hitting the newer 72 with a fine DMT later today but I wonder if I should just stick with the Arkansas stones.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's my latest, a black composite short line.
Attachments
293.JPG
295.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice 72 Greg! ::nod:: ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Randy!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:Thanks Randy!
...another one I don't have, greg!!..all my short line's are bone handled with the pen paired with the master!!.... ::tu:: ......
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Herman Williams has one of his 863 stag handled creations up on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401309217056?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Got me a new short line bone handled second gen 72 on the way. It's got a Crack in the front handle so I ordered some repair material as well. :D
Attachments
$_3 (31).JPG
$_3 (30).JPG
$_3 (32).JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:Got me a new short line bone handled second gen 72 on the way. It's got a Crack in the front handle so I ordered some repair material as well. :D
.....nice one, greg!!!.....wanna trade it for a long-line with no cracks????............. ::nod:: ................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's not unusual for this pattern to crack at the rocker pin. I've only seen one white Scout that wasn't cracked at the shield.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Got me a new short line bone handled second gen 72 on the way. It's got a Crack in the front handle so I ordered some repair material as well. :D
.....nice one, greg!!!.....wanna trade it for a long-line with no cracks????............. ::nod:: ................
Already got one of those Tommy. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
........only one????............. ::doh:: ................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote: .....nice one, greg!!!.....wanna trade it for a long-line with no cracks????............. ::nod:: ................
........only one????............. ::doh:: ................
Only one long line with a bone handle. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Good knife Greg, I wonder how many here were bidding. I had the high bid for a few days then was going to bid in the last min. but the bid kept climbing. I was laughing for the last 30 sec. thinking all the time it was fellow AAPK'ers after that one. It was entertaining to say the least. I am going to find one here around here one of these days. I think that is my best option.

Monte
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hey Monte it looked like it was one guy doing all the bidding in the last 30 seconds trying to figure out what the leaders high bid was. I put my final bid of $55 in with 5 seconds to go and that was enough to do the trick. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........greg, the only thing I can do on this computer in 5 seconds is sign off!!........... ::doh:: ..................

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”