camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: camillus #72

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
#goldpan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:39 pm I picked up another 72. The handles on this one appealed to me. There are a few scratches on blades but other than that it doesn’t appear to have seen much use. 26B605AD-54C8-418F-87C8-15C2A7001AA3.jpeg1E1784B8-2B9D-4ED4-AC0D-8F8E8A06832D.jpeg2594527C-8F75-41C5-8A1E-28DCE3B3409D.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:39 pm I.....
Randy, that's a FINE l👀king "72." ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

#goldpan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:39 pm I picked up another 72. The handles on this one appealed to me. There are a few scratches on blades but other than that it doesn’t appear to have seen much use. 26B605AD-54C8-418F-87C8-15C2A7001AA3.jpeg1E1784B8-2B9D-4ED4-AC0D-8F8E8A06832D.jpeg2594527C-8F75-41C5-8A1E-28DCE3B3409D.jpeg
A very good find Randy. Looks great!! ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Smitty!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:28 am
#goldpan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:39 pm I.....
Randy, that's a FINE l👀king "72." ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Skip!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I picked this one up recently. I’m a bit confused by Camillus moving the secondary blades back to the first gen configuration. As well as the dinky looking clip blade . Overall the knife looks unused. And it’s one I didn’t have. I really like the handles. They are the same as those used on the Remington 72 of.the same time period.
Attachments
280EBEDA-1CC3-44FB-A913-E70848FEB957.jpeg
3A8E88FE-269E-4B25-9E68-B24983A7DE8D.jpeg
AFACADCA-0F70-40A3-BEEB-CC4A513B8419.jpeg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

#goldpan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm I picked this one up recently. I’m a bit confused by Camillus moving the secondary blades back to the first gen configuration. As well as the dinky looking clip blade . Overall the knife looks unused. And it’s one I didn’t have. I really like the handles. They are the same as those used on the Remington 72 of.the same time period.
Nice grab on this one Randy! When I first saw your pic it really grabbed my attention . The nice looking handles and the 1st gen set up is a new one hear . With that being towards the end of Camillus could it be just that ,they put together what they had ? Or was this a pattern / blade configuration change they planned ? Somewhere here there’s some posts about them going to the dinky clip blade at some point before closing doors .
Cool piece,great addition for your 72s ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks for sharing . Enjoy your Day out there ::handshake::
JP
TPK

Post by TPK »

#goldpan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm I picked this one up recently. I’m a bit confused by Camillus moving the secondary blades back to the first gen configuration. As well as the dinky looking clip blade . Overall the knife looks unused. And it’s one I didn’t have. I really like the handles. They are the same as those used on the Remington 72 of.the same time period.
::hmm:: Don't remember ever seeing a 72 with that blade configuration. Interesting find. ::nod:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks guys. ::handshake:: JP I’m going to have to go back through this thread and find that post you mention. Perhaps there is more information on that. Thanks ::handshake::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

[quote=Ripster post_id=1009787 time=1653242547 user_id=37762
Nice grab on this one Randy! When I first saw your pic it really grabbed my attention . The nice looking handles and the 1st gen set up is a new one hear . With that being towards the end of Camillus could it be just that ,they put together what they had ? Or was this a pattern / blade configuration change they planned ? Somewhere here there’s some posts about them going to the dinky clip blade at some point before closing doors .
Cool piece,great addition for your 72s ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks for sharing . Enjoy your Day out there ::handshake::
[/quote]

I agree with JP, possibly some of the last end of production assembled knives. Many unique differences on them. Round shield, the smaller secondary clip blade, and if you notice, the coping blade is also slightly different. The pattern design on the delrin handles are more like those used on the Rigid knives than on the Camillus. On some of the other knife forums there were discussions if some of these with the blade placement was at the factory, or assembled afterwards because of only one pin on the handles. But.... the 2003 Catalog does show the 72 pattern with only one pin, although the handle pattern and shield was different. Personally my opinion is it was a "end of days" production error. But...... who really knows. I have been wrong before. ::shrug::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm I.....
VERY nice acquisition, Randy! ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I believe it to be an end of production knife as well. There are several variations of it. But a great find.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A nice score, Randy! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks for the information guys. These last production knives sure keep me scratching my head. ::hmm::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, I brought this pocket knife home from the post office. It is one of a two pocket knife lot that I recently purchased. This particular pocket knife WAS most definitely the target of my purchase. It is a CAMILLUS 72, first generation (my 12th), three blade, swelled center, 3 5/8" closed, two tang stamps (a short line maker stamp and the pattern # stamp), a long matchstrike or blade pull, "whittler" pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "CAMILLUS (short underline) (over) NEW YORK (over) USA" The main blade back tang stamp is the "72" pattern number. The three blades have NO wobble at all. The three blades ALL have good snap. It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning at all, I just wiped it off. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm Yesterday morning, I brought this pocket knife home from the post office. It is one of a two pocket knife lot that I recently purchased. This particular pocket knife WAS most definitely the target of my purchase. It is a CAMILLUS 72, first generation (my 12th), three blade, swelled center, 3 5/8" closed, two tang stamps (a short line maker stamp and the pattern # stamp), a long matchstrike or blade pull, "whittler" pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "CAMILLUS (short underline) (over) NEW YORK (over) USA" The main blade back tang stamp is the "72" pattern number. The three blades have NO wobble at all. The three blades ALL have good snap. It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning at all, I just wiped it off. I took some pictures and here it is.
Sweet!!!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 pm Sweet.....
Thank you, Floyd. 🍻

Skip
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm Yesterday morning, I brought this pocket knife home from the post office. It is one of a two pocket knife lot that I recently purchased. This particular pocket knife WAS most definitely the target of my purchase. It is a CAMILLUS 72, first generation (my 12th), three blade, swelled center, 3 5/8" closed, two tang stamps (a short line maker stamp and the pattern # stamp), a long matchstrike or blade pull, "whittler" pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "CAMILLUS (short underline) (over) NEW YORK (over) USA" The main blade back tang stamp is the "72" pattern number. The three blades have NO wobble at all. The three blades ALL have good snap. It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning at all, I just wiped it off. I took some pictures and here it is.
Nice knife.
Love the bone handle 72's and a first generation is a bonus on top.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Shearer wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:28 pm Nice.....
Thank you, Grant. 🍻

Skip
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:00 pm This particular pocket knife WAS most definitely the target of my purchase.
It's very easy to see why. That is a real beauty. Congratulations, Skip! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:25 pm It's.....
Thank you, Dan. 🍻

Skip
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice first gen ::tu:: ::tu:: ::drool:: congratulations ::handshake::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

#goldpan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:02 am Nice.....
Thank you, Randy. 🍻
::handshake::

Skip
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

So I looked up Camillus 72 on Wikipedia the other day and it said, "See Skip"... Huh.... Another beauty brother! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:21 am
So I looked up Camillus 72 on Wikipedia the other day and it said, "See Skip"... Huh.... Another beauty brother! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
LOL. Too many knives,That’s a great one !
Skip , you’re the man . What a nice first gen ::tu:: ::tu::
JP

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”