Need help with getting information for a Camillus knife

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
mikekoz

Need help with getting information for a Camillus knife

Post by mikekoz »

I picked up two of these at a country store in Durham NC. There is a gentleman running this store that has been selling knives for more than 30 years! I picked these up because they looked interesting, and they were only $20.00...;). The first one I purchased is sealed in a bag that is stamped US Coast Guard approval 160.043/1/0. Here are some photos of the one I picked up today, which was loose. Any help with this would be appreciated! I would like to know when it was made, what the handles are made of, or any other info anyone has. Thank you!
Attachments
RopeKnife 005.jpg
RopeKnife 002.jpg
RopeKnife 001.jpg
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

This is a model #S702 Coast Guard knife. This knife is a #425 pattern and is similar to the the WWII Sailor's knife with the addition of the can-opener. The blades are made of stainless steel and the handles are molded acetate.

Tom Williams
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

CAMCO wrote:This is a model #S702 Coast Guard knife. This knife is a #425 pattern and is similar to the the WWII Sailor's knife with the addition of the can-opener. The blades are made of stainless steel and the handles are molded acetate.

Tom Williams
Thank you! Any idea when this was made???
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

CAMCO wrote:This is a model #S702 Coast Guard knife. This knife is a #425 pattern and is similar to the the WWII Sailor's knife with the addition of the can-opener. The blades are made of stainless steel and the handles are molded acetate.

Tom Williams
Thank you! Any idea when this was made???
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

I will be visiting the Camillus factory next week and I will check the records for the model #S702 Coast Guard knife.

Tom Williams
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

The model #S702 Coast Guard knife was first made in 1949.

Tom Williams
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

A little late here, but Tom sent me a flyer, and here is part of it showing some Camillus knives with marlin spikes.

Phil
Attachments
Camillus sales literature
Camillus sales literature
Home of the Marlin Spike042.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

I picked up this US Navy Marlin Spike after noticing a banner showing knives & scissors on the side of the road. Normally I would not have stopped but the sign did say knives :) . He had the usual everything made in China knives but I found this wedged in the back.

This Camillus Marlin Spike is one of the best made knives I have owned. It's almost industrial in workmanship and quality, it reminds you of opening and closing your car door when opening it. It came with box and instructions and evidently the design was a government approved design.

Notice the tab in the picture, when looking at them in pictures I visioned a handle or rope harness. Instead it's the locking mechanism that holds the spike in place when opened and only depressing this lever will it close...

Nice design and a fun knife, one I never would have picked up if I had not seen this post on these knives...

Sunburst
Attachments
Camillus Marlin Spike.JPG
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

hey sunburst, nice find. that locking bail is a neat feature. too bad case never figured that out.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Nice one, sunburst! Is that jigged Delrin I see for handles?
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

upnorth wrote:Nice one, sunburst! Is that jigged Delrin I see for handles?
Thanks waynorth..Yes it's jigged delrin.. :)
Attachments
Marlin Spike.jpg
Marlin Spike.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

One good pic of a 697 deserves another, so here is mine, along with a couple of others .. Yep, the 697 is a sturdy -built knife. The locking marlin spike great for unknotting rope or splicing. The Top knife in the pic is an old Camillus ad knife for Columbian Rope. I should have photoed it open to show the wickedly serrated blade. The middle knife is all stainless, 'Seto' Japan knife with a locking spike, a screwdriver at one end, and a big loop tool called a shackle key. Necessary if one is crewing a sail boat.
Attachments
sailors knives.jpg
sailors knives.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi Sunburst that's a great looking knife. ::tu:: I've noticed you are buying some different (extremely nice) knives lately... does that mean you have recovered from your case of the Schatts? :) s-k
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Please show us the wickedly serrated blade gr8scout! Serrated blades can form the basis of a collection, (or a thread) as there are so many variations.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) When I see these particular posts, it just reminds me of the Great loss

of Camillus Cutlery and it's American history. ::dang::
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Wow Gr8Scout I want to see more of your knives open some up for us...I have a new found appreciation for these mechanical beauty's...

Mitch, your right it does make one sad to know the history and quality of another American factory will soon go away. I purchased the Marlin Spike with that thought in mind, knowing I may never get another chance.. ::tear::

Sunburst
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

There is a company called Columbian Rope in Auburn, New York which is 20 miles west of Camillus, New York. I have seen several knives in the factory records that were made for this company.

Tom Williams
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Funny how this history thing goes. Once I had the Columbian Rope advertising knife, I had to find out about the company. Was in Auburn NY, so a neighbor of sorts of Camillus Cutlerys'. And like the Cutlery, the rope company did it's part during the war. See pic I am adding.

Here is a poster for Columbian of an old salt. I'd like to find a nice example of a Camillus ad knife (I have seen another model besides mine) and combine the two in a display.

Phil

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good stuff Phil. ::tu::

I am glad you reminded me, I just ordered a CM695.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”