Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
User avatar
Nev52
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Nev52 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:52 pm

My 1st Camillus stockman. ::tu:: Model 165
Attachments
Camillus.jpg

User avatar
Baykeeper
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Baykeeper » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm

Here is an old Camillus #14 Jack Knife I found at a local thrift just before the "stay at home" order. It obviously needs some clean up, but the jigged scales are beautiful considering the use the blades show, someone loved and used this knife for a very long time, which I think is cool. Here are some "before" photos, sorry but the tang stamp can only be seen with a magnifying glass, just take my word for it. I like to think this 3.5" closed knife was made in the 30's but I may be wrong, if anyone knows for sure please speak up, thanks.

A global pandemic can't keep a good knife collector down!!
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
BCCI Member #2863

User avatar
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6190
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: tupelo, miss.

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by carrmillus » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 pm

....is it a 3 line or 4 line stamp????............can't tell, but I'm guessing 3 line????........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8113
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by gsmith7158 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:59 pm

That's a long line 14 with composite Indian stag handles. Circa 1973.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

User avatar
Baykeeper
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Baykeeper » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:02 pm

carrmillus wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 pm
....is it a 3 line or 4 line stamp????............can't tell, but I'm guessing 3 line????........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
Yes, 3 lines.
BCCI Member #2863

User avatar
Baykeeper
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Baykeeper » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:06 pm

gsmith7158 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:59 pm
That's a long line 14 with composite Indian stag handles. Circa 1973.
Thanks, that's why the handles are still pristine, they were indestructible. Well, I collect according to life events, and the first of one of my marriages happened that year, guess being old and beat up like me is an appropriate reason to have it. Believe it or not the blades are still sharp on this puppy, ya can't keep a good Camillus down.
BCCI Member #2863

Vit_213
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:57 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Vit_213 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm

Baykeeper wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Here is an old Camillus #14 Jack Knife
...
I like to think this 3.5" closed knife was made in the 30's but I may be wrong, if anyone knows for sure please speak up, thanks.
Two-digit numbering of models was introduced in 1946.
gsmith7158 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:59 pm
That's a long line 14 with composite Indian stag handles. Circa 1973.
#14 was not part of the Indian stag line, but the color of the handle is similar to the 70s (in addition, I would like to see a stamp).

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8113
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by gsmith7158 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 pm

Vit_213 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm
Baykeeper wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Here is an old Camillus #14 Jack Knife
...
I like to think this 3.5" closed knife was made in the 30's but I may be wrong, if anyone knows for sure please speak up, thanks.
Two-digit numbering of models was introduced in 1946.
gsmith7158 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:59 pm
That's a long line 14 with composite Indian stag handles. Circa 1973.
#14 was not part of the Indian stag line, but the color of the handle is similar to the 70s (in addition, I would like to see a stamp).
Vit I happened to think about that after I made that post. The Indian stag came along later. This 67 has the same style imitation stag as the op and it is a long line. The imitation stag that was used in the late 30's and early 40's was a much lighter color.
Attachments
20200404_194641.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

User avatar
Baykeeper
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Baykeeper » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 pm

Vit_213 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm
Baykeeper wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Here is an old Camillus #14 Jack Knife
...
I like to think this 3.5" closed knife was made in the 30's but I may be wrong, if anyone knows for sure please speak up, thanks.
Two-digit numbering of models was introduced in 1946.
gsmith7158 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:59 pm
That's a long line 14 with composite Indian stag handles. Circa 1973.
#14 was not part of the Indian stag line, but the color of the handle is similar to the 70s (in addition, I would like to see a stamp).
I'll take some time this weekend to cleanu up the blade well enough to take a closer photo of the tang, any historical info is welcomed.
BCCI Member #2863

Vit_213
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:57 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Vit_213 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 am

It may be sufficient to take a photo in a larger size than 598x456 :roll:

User avatar
Nev52
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Nev52 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:45 pm

Just received my 2nd Camillus stockman. Rough Cut Tobacco stockman. ::nod::
DSCF2210.JPG

phil0175
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by phil0175 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Good afternoon everyone! I got this old war horse in the mail yesterday. My first knife was a Camillus Scout knife, and then a Camillus made Craftsman medium stockman I carried for years. Can anyone help me identify this knife? I've enclosed photos, as well as the knife next to a similar knife from a 1955 Camillus Catalog I printed off for my references.
Thank you!
Phil
Attachments
Camco Stockman IV.jpg
Camco Stockman II.jpg
Camco stockman.jpg
Camco Stockman III.jpg
Camco Stockman V.jpg
Camco Stockman VI.jpg

phil0175
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by phil0175 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:03 pm

Nev52 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:45 pm
Just received my 2nd Camillus stockman. Rough Cut Tobacco stockman. ::nod::
DSCF2210.JPG
I always liked those Rough Cut stockmans! is it stainless or carbon steel? Great catch by the way!
Phil

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 34015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by jerryd6818 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 pm

Vit_213 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm

#14 was not part of the Indian stag line, but the color of the handle is similar to the 70s (in addition, I would like to see a stamp).
Normally, Vit is spot on when it comes to Camillus knives. I'm sorry to say that is not the case in this instance. The 14's did have Indian Stag handles.

Indian Stag was introduced in 1973-1974 on mostly the stockman. It doesn't show up on 14s that I could find in any of the catalogs but as you can readly see on this long line, It does exist.
Attachments
DSC09992.JPG
DSC09994.JPG
DSC09997.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
Baykeeper
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Show Us Your Camillus Knives!

Post by Baykeeper » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 am

jerryd6818 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 pm
Vit_213 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm

#14 was not part of the Indian stag line, but the color of the handle is similar to the 70s (in addition, I would like to see a stamp).
Normally, Vit is spot on when it comes to Camillus knives. I'm sorry to say that is not the case in this instance. The 14's did have Indian Stag handles.

Indian Stag was introduced in 1973-1974 on mostly the stockman. It doesn't show up on 14s that I could find in any of the catalogs but as you can readly see on this long line, It does exist.
Thanks for the update, guess my #14 could be Indian Stag after all, an even better find at $3.
BCCI Member #2863

Post Reply

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”