Camillus Easy-Opener

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Camillus Easy-Opener

Post by WelderBob »

I always figured this was a military issue until I got Silvey's book, now I'm not so sure.
The long pull and brass liners lead me to think it's pre WWll...but I've been told if it has
a bail it could be military...any opinions on this ?

Thank's
WB
Attachments
Cam 009.JPG
Cam 005.JPG
Cam 012.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Easy-Opener

Post by orvet »

I really like that one!
Has it been cleaned or is it just in exceptional condition?

IMO, it could be WWII, early in the war or even pre-war.
Later on they switched to steel liners and bolsters as they were using the brass for shell casings.
However, it could be from early on in the war, or even stock made or orders placed by the military before the war started.

That is my 2¢,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Here's the twin to WelderBob's easy opener. I just picked this up this morning at an estate sale. It's in excellent condition. It has a four line stamped tang, steel liners, and doesn't appear to have ever been sharpened. Orvet, this one is located down in Eugene. I'll bring it to the knife show for you to see along with the military issued utility knife( USMC inscribed) I told you about a couple of weeks ago. See ya at the Knife show Dale. ::tu:: Dale H.
Attachments
2010 Camillus 001.JPG
2010 Camillus 002.JPG
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Dale, I think your right about the pre-war to early years when they were probably using up
stock parts. I'd like to see one with the nail nick next to a long pull...see what the difference is. The knife hasn't seen any use, but someone polished blades and bolsters...not a bad job,
I wish it had the original finish.
Nice to see it has a brother there Bull...nice full blades on that one... ::tu::

One more question Dale, why is the bail through the knife frame and not the bolster..?

Thank's
Bob
Bob

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think it was a cost cutting measure.

They did that so it is up out of the way of the rear pin heads.
The rear pin is needed to hold the back of the knife together.
By moving the pin for the lanyard loop ahead they still have a freely moving loop that doesn’t hit the heads of the pins and the knife is still tight at the rear.

There is another option I have seen on pre-war Ulsters, and I am sure others have used it as well.
They hold the rear halves of the knife together with a brass tube. A thin nickel silver pin goes through the tube and the lanyard loop and then each end has a head spun onto it to hold the pin in place. There is only one pin in this type construction. It holds the knife together and allows the lanyard to move freely. If you used the same pin to hold the knife together and to attach the lanyard loop without the tube, the loop won’t move as the pin pinches it to the bolsters or handles if it is a bear head.

Obviously that is much more labor intensive (and therefore more expensive) than drilling another hole in front of the spring and running the pin through it.

I hope this makes sense.
If not let me know & I will try and explain it again.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank's Dale, Yes I see now it's a simple way to attach the bail...I see most companies did
it that way except Pal. I dug out my Ulster mtn. knife and it look's like a stronger way to
attach a bail...of course this knife was built for rough use.

Bob
Bob

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”