Anyone have "Short-Line Fever"? It's better than Covid-19

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Anyone have "Short-Line Fever"? It's better than Covid-19

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Just got this in today ::groove:: a Short-Line #1 in sweet ::groove:: condition ::nod:: I keep finding #1s... I not sure why, ::shrug:: but more than any other pattern in the Short-Line... ::shrug::
Attachments
DSCF8237.JPG
DSCF8238.JPG
DSCF8239.JPG
DSCF8240.JPG
DSCF8242.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm Just.....
GSPTOPDOG, absolutely PRIMO! ::tu:: ::tu::
FANTASTIC acquisition! ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That one isn't like new, it is new. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm Just got this in today ::groove:: a Short-Line #1 in sweet ::groove:: condition ::nod:: I keep finding #1s... I not sure why, ::shrug:: but more than any other pattern in the Short-Line... ::shrug::
G dog you sure keep coming up with those #1 s . They do make a handy knife when doing linoleum or drywall . Wouldn’t use this one for that.
JP
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ripster wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:15 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm Just got this in today ::groove:: a Short-Line #1 in sweet ::groove:: condition ::nod:: I keep finding #1s... I not sure why, ::shrug:: but more than any other pattern in the Short-Line... ::shrug::
G dog you sure keep coming up with those #1 s . They do make a handy knife when doing linoleum or drywall . Wouldn’t use this one for that.
J.P., before I start doing linoleum or drywall with this #1, I am going to have to put the edge on my Craftsman electric grinder and touch it up a bit... ::woot::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I was under the impression that the short line stamp is thought to have been used from 1946-50 but that #1 looks like it has delrin handles which didn't come along till 59-60. Am i wrong about the dates?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

gsmith7158 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 pm I was under the impression that the short line stamp is thought to have been used from 1946-50 but that #1 looks like it has delrin handles which didn't come along till 59-60. Am i wrong about the dates?
You are Correct with the dates regarding the stamp. Don’t know about exact year Delrin came about and you would know more about it than most here. So what would you think ! To many years apart for transition piece ? Been worked on ?
JP
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

It's hard to say Ripster. Maybe rehandled unless thats some sort of composition Camillus used before delrin came out in 1959.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ripster wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:13 am
gsmith7158 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 pm I was under the impression that the short line stamp is thought to have been used from 1946-50 but that #1 looks like it has delrin handles which didn't come along till 59-60. Am i wrong about the dates?
You are Correct with the dates regarding the stamp. Don’t know about exact year Delrin came about and you would know more about it than most here. So what would you think ! To many years apart for transition piece ? Been worked on ?
Ripster Vit213 posted a knife just like that on page 2 of this thread. If he's got one it's probably original. I'd like to know the story on it though.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 am It's hard to say Ripster. Maybe rehandled unless thats some sort of composition Camillus used before delrin came out in 1959.
1959 Camillus was still using Rosewood handles and they had three pins. From what I can see in the catalogs, Rosewood was listed as the handle material from the 1940's to the early 1960's. Delrin wasn't used until around 1961. I believe the knife in question may have been rehandled, but not sure why anyone would do that.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 am
gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 am It's hard to say Ripster. Maybe rehandled unless thats some sort of composition Camillus used before delrin came out in 1959.
1959 Camillus was still using Rosewood handles and they had three pins. From what I can see in the catalogs, Rosewood was listed as the handle material from the 1940's to the early 1960's. Delrin wasn't used until around 1961. I believe the knife in question may have been rehandled, but not sure why anyone would do that.
There’s another one just like G dogs for sale here at Nildraga s site . A short line with same handles? Could it be it’s not Delrin but pyroxylin. Camillus used that all the way back into the 40s ,sometimes referred to as Maize Pyroxylin.
JP
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:35 am

Ripster Vit213 posted a knife just like that on page 2 of this thread. If he's got one it's probably original. I'd like to know the story on it though.
Can I send you a more "Up-close" picture of the knife? Or in different light?

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

GDog I'm going guess those are legit made from an early composite. I'm sure someone will check in before long and verify that. One thing I've learned about Camillus since I've been here is never be surprised by anything. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

This is an intresting topic here on the handle material....
I'd acquired a short line no. 9 barlow which I believed would (should) wished be bone, simply from the year span it was produced. Once in my possession though turned out it's a "DELRIN" or plastic like material ::hmm::

Randy
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Gone2Three wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:06 am This is an intresting topic here on the handle material....
I'd acquired a short line no. 9 barlow which I believed would (should) wished be bone, simply from the year span it was produced. Once in my possession though turned out it's a "DELRIN" or plastic like material ::hmm::

Randy
Randy, have one of those as well, the bigger Barlow and plastic handles. Think it’s posted here already in the short lines. And agree that being a short line where’s the bone,but we all know Camillus had there way of doing things . Like Gene said ,nothing should surprise us with them . ::hmm::
JP
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Ripster wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:03 am
Gone2Three wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:06 am This is an intresting topic here on the handle material....

Randy
Randy, have one of those as well, the bigger Barlow and plastic handles. Think it’s posted here already in the short lines. And agree that being a short line where’s the bone,but we all know Camillus had there way of doing things . Like Gene said ,nothing should surprise us with them . ::hmm::
Agree....

I'll look up your posting here, see if I can find it... mine will have to wait until I get it in a more presentable fashion

Was a pretty rough looking ol knife when I got it ::skeptic::

Randy
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:58 pm
Papa Bones wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 am
There’s another one just like G dogs for sale here at Nildraga s site . A short line with same handles? Could it be it’s not Delrin but pyroxylin. Camillus used that all the way back into the 40s ,sometimes referred to as Maize Pyroxylin.
Could be JP, not sure. ::shrug::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, this pocket knife joined my coIlection. It is a CAMILLUS 72, 2 blades, bone handles, swelled center, short line tang stamp, 3 5/8" closed, "whittler" pocket knife. It no longer has a third blade. After careful comparison of this CAMILLUS 72 pocket knife, to my other 1st and 2nd generation CAMILLUS 72 pocket knives, I'm 99.999% sure that this was a 1st generation CAMILLUS 72. If the third blade broke off, it broke off perfectly even from the tang. To me, this is still a good looking, early, CAMILLUS 72. I gave the blades a minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey fellas here’s a short line 68 Premium that has had the name and model number ground off . Upon receiving this one promptly inspected it and couldn’t find any issues ,so not thinking that it could be a factory 2 nd ,went off in the wrong direction . After posting this knife with a question Miller Bros responded and set me straight . He does have one with same grinding off of the tang mark and number and states it’s a factory second . There’s one on the bay right now as well. So there’s a few out there in the short line period. Are they worth anything am not sure ! As a Conversation piece maybe. There standards must have been high around the late 1940 s. Did notice a little black ,like burnt bone on one of the covers, other than that it’s a tight well built piece . Wonder how Camillus sold there seconds ? Did they offer them to Employees? If anyone knows please let us all know .
Thanks.
Attachments
700AE84B-D610-458E-89C2-916487FF94CE.jpeg
5700DEE3-7345-4745-AA43-92E18E14E370.jpeg
A2E74813-265D-408E-87CC-F67066F17F1E.jpeg
E0325595-97D6-4E7A-B431-861609972B3D.jpeg
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:24 pm Hey.....
G@@d l👀king pocket knife, JP. ::tu:: ::tu::

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JP, don't know what constitutes a 2nd but that is a fine looking knife. Great grab. ::nod:: ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this pocket knife joined my CAMILLUS collection. It is a CAMILLUS "72", 3 blade, swelled center, 3 5/8" closed, short line tang stamp, 1st generation, "whittler" pocket knife. I gave it a very minor cleaning, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 pm This morning, this pocket knife joined my CAMILLUS collection. It is a CAMILLUS "72", 3 blade, swelled center, 3 5/8" closed, short line tang stamp, 1st generation, "whittler" pocket knife. I gave it a very minor cleaning, took some pictures and here it is.
Another 1 st gen . Nice addition to your 72 s . You must be getting a few 1 st gens piled up out there . ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:34 pm Another.....
Thank you, JP. 🍻
I now have 10, 1st generation CAMILLUS "72" pocket knives.
Well, actually 9 2/3, 1st generation CAMILLUS "72" pocket knives.
That is NOT enough! Many more are required.

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Picked up 3 short lines in the past couple weeks .
#40 Congress ( Camillus did not call it a half Congress in there literature) 3 7/16 long ( closed) a sheepfoot and pen blade . The bone covers are in great shape,in the sunlight can’t see anything wrong with the bone . Both blades have half stop and are function properly.
#72. Been used and sharpened a lot. Nice bone . Half stop on blade opposite main . What do you think the secondary blades are? A pen and spear originally? Would you consider it a first gen or did they all have coping blade opposite the main ?
#73 . This one came from Steve ( knifeaholic ) . Made offer that thought was reasonable and it made its way to the short line pile . He’s got a few more old Camillus that might have to pursue . This one seems harder to find and when One shows up they’re usually wore out . This one has been used and needed a little TLC and oil and will now go into the pile . Camillus calls it a Cattle knife 3 5/8 long closed Clip, Spey and Spiral punch . Maize Pyroxylin covers .
Have 18 shorties now, only about 50 more to go!
Have a good one ,stay safe out there . ::tu::
Attachments
8B87A8AD-67C2-44A9-B9E8-22CA1A0592AA.jpeg
3CFF87DC-B489-4DC5-A063-A74B6590EB41.jpeg
JP

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”