Camillus 40 Half Congress

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Camillus 40 Half Congress

Post by Colonel26 »

Sunday on Father's Day, my dad gave me a couple of old knives that he had picked up. Since they are great old HOK's I immediately fell in love with them, lol. This little Camillus 40 is my first half congress and I think I'm right fond of the pattern. Especially since I'm 99% certain its bone and short line! Any of y'all have 40's? Post them if ya got 'em.
fullsizeoutput_250.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_24f.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus 40 Half Congress

Post by jerryd6818 »

OK Cuz, haul out your 45X microscope and check the handles for the spots caused by haversian canals only found in bone. Look along the edges where the handles were hafted. That's a pretty good picture and I'm fairly convinced that those handles are the (good) black synthetic used during that era. All that said, that's a mighty fine looking #40. You're lucky to have it.

I don't have any of the Congress #40's but I do have 3 or 4 of the #41 Senators. They're like potato chips. Can't seem to get enough of them.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:OK Cuz, haul out your 45X microscope and check the handles for the spots caused by haversian canals only found in bone. Look along the edges where the handles were hafted. That's a pretty good picture and I'm fairly convinced that those handles are the (good) black synthetic used during that era. All that said, that's a mighty fine looking #40. You're lucky to have it.

I don't have any of the Congress #40's but I do have 3 or 4 of the #41 Senators. They're like potato chips. Can't seem to get enough of them.
Bless me cuz for I have sinned. I don’t have one of those microscopes. I know I know.

It is bone though, with it without the microscope. The feel and sound give it away. I don’t have trouble spotting bone in any other color but black. Guess I need to get on eBay and get one of them scopes after all.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ll have to look for one of those senators. I didn’t know about that pattern.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:OK Cuz, haul out your 45X microscope and check the handles for the spots caused by haversian canals only found in bone. Look along the edges where the handles were hafted. That's a pretty good picture and I'm fairly convinced that those handles are the (good) black synthetic used during that era. All that said, that's a mighty fine looking #40. You're lucky to have it.

Bless me cuz for I have sinned. I don’t have one of those microscopes. I know I know.

It is bone though, with it without the microscope. The feel and sound give it away. I don’t have trouble spotting bone in any other color but black. Guess I need to get on eBay and get one of them scopes after all.
Magnifiers on eBay ---► https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... pe&_sop=15

I would be shocked and amazed if that's bone. If someone knows for sure there were knives with black bone handles in that era, please step up and disabuse me of the notion that there were none.

There was also a #43 Senator with Celluloid handles.

As you can see, they called the handles on the 1946 knives "bone stag". In the 1948 catalog, the description just said "Staged" which I've taken to mean in those days "jigged" and they had changed from bone to the black synthetic. I freely admit I may be full of beans and taters because there is a lot of conjecture mixed in here but until someone steps up and Proves me wrong, I'm sticking with what's here.
Untitled.jpg
By 1961 the #92 had been discontinued.
91& 92.jpg
My first #41 Senator
Camillus_41_Senator.JPG
I got my second #41 Senator in a two knife lot with a (unheard of to me) #53 Dog Leg Jack. All for $4.25 + $5.00 shipping. ::uc:: In fact the Senator was the reason I bought the lot. Now I have a knife (the 53) that I have only seen three of (two of which are mine) and can find in no Camillus catalog. It's kind of a mystery knife. By the way, it has a long line tang stamp.
$4,25 & $5,00 Shipping (2-23-16).jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Well, I’m most likely wrong. It happens a lot!

This are good looking knives!
Robert E. Lee
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I'm in agreement with Jerry. Looks like the black synthetic they used back then. The 40 is a great knife. You have a good one. I have a long line derlin 40 I use quit a bit. They are thin, light and get real sharp.
David
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wade that's a good looking knife. I do believe it is that early synthetic though but it's held up very well! ::tu::
Here's one I just bought ,it must be the offspring of the 40. It's listed as a709 and the bone handles sure do favor those 72's made for SMKW in the 1990's.
Attachments
s-l400 (54).jpg
s-l400 (54).jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Here is my 40. I think I have a couple more but I will have to dig them out.
Attachments
9FF2E26D-1F76-4008-A289-9668CE57CCE9.jpeg
9FF2E26D-1F76-4008-A289-9668CE57CCE9.jpeg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
2AD0F4CE-5B03-42EC-909E-B05841EBB054.jpeg
2AD0F4CE-5B03-42EC-909E-B05841EBB054.jpeg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
5F535FA5-3952-48F1-A76F-929EF4CFF852.jpeg
5F535FA5-3952-48F1-A76F-929EF4CFF852.jpeg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good looking knives all.

Greg, is your's a single backspacing or two? The little 40 is a single backspacing and it sure do make it thin in the pocket. And those little thin blades are just right for cutting a chaw off of a twist of Mammoth Cave chewing tobacco, works mighty fine.
Robert E. Lee
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wade it's been 14+ years since I've had a chew but your words make my mouth water.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

philco wrote:Wade it's been 14+ years since I've had a chew but your words make my mouth water.
Brother Phil, I wish I had your will power. I love chewing tobacco, I surely do. More than I should.
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

philco wrote:Wade it's been 14+ years since I've had a chew but your words make my mouth water.
....ditto,phil!!!............. ::tu:: .............

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”