camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: camillus #72

Post by doglegg »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:56 pm Just picked up this #72 ::nod::
Very sweet and was useful to someone in the past. Sweet old knife looking for a pocket.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

doglegg wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:48 am
Very sweet and was useful to someone in the past. Sweet old knife looking for a pocket.
D.L. you said it best! ::nod:: Think of all the stories it could tell... if'en it could talk... ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Very nice ::tu::
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:56 pm Just.....
GSPTOPDOG, that is a CAMILLUS 1047 scout pocket knife, it is not a CAMILLUS 72.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=46492
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:44 pm
Good-un!
Thanks Jerry, ::handshake:: I owe it to you and the guys here on the Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum ::hmm:: I reckon I am a "Convert" to the #72 model ::hmm:: Now it is in my top EDC rotation group.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:12 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:56 pm Just.....
GSPTOPDOG, that is a CAMILLUS 1047 scout pocket knife, it is not a CAMILLUS 72.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 63&t=46492
::dang:: Doohh!!! ::facepalm:: Thanks Skip for the heads up. I checked the back ::paranoid:: did NOT see a #72 stamp and just figured it was one anyway... so... ::paranoid:: was it made especially for the BSA? ::hmm:: Is that why it has the model #1047? ::hmm::

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Earlier this week, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread and to be added to my collection. It is a CAMILLUS 72 (short line), second generation, three blades, two tang stamps, 3 5/8" closed, swelled center, a long matchstrike and blade pull, "whittler" pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "CAMILLUS (over) NEW YORK (over) USA" The main blade back tang stamp says "72", the pattern number. It is in VERY GOOD+ condition. It needed no cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is. I now have a total of 21, short-line 72's. I have 12, FIRST GENERATION 72's and 9, SECOND GENERATION 72's.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Back Tang Stamp.

Skip
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

Going through the above posts on the model 72 and I noticed something for the first time when I started to look at my 72s and clones.

I have about 7 of these knives -
4 camillus ( 3 standard issue, 1 scout)
2 schrade ( schrade and older schrade Walden)
1 imperial (scout)

OK, to the point now.
I landed a 1st version ( jerryD) a few years ago.
Excellent condition with the coping blade opposing the main blade.
I rarely carry it as I have other daily drivers and honestly would hate to lose this piece is Camillus history.

The coping blade has a half stop. Never noticed that.
Am I the last one to realize that? Jerry?
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

marcellusW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 pm Going.....
ALL 12 of my FIRST GENERATION 72's
have a half stop for the coping blade.

Skip
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:31 pm
marcellusW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 pm Going.....
ALL 12 of my FIRST GENERATION 72's
have a half stop for the coping blade.
I don't doubt all 1st generation 72s have that feature.
It just surprised me it was there.
If I'd carried it some , it would have been noticed a lot sooner.
Think I've owned it maybe about 10 years.
Thanks New Windsor
Theo

Post by Theo »

I just received this 1047 earlier in the week , I am just going to polish up the bolsters and stash it away with the other 72’s I was happy paying 27 dollars for it. I have another 1047 coming from the bay that looks better than this one , but snag it for $ 11.50 yep that’s what I said… ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_3150.jpeg
IMG_3147.jpeg

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Nice!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Theo you are making some very knice purchases on some very knice knives.
Theo

Post by Theo »

doglegg wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:18 pm Theo you are making some very knice purchases on some very knice knives.
Thanks dog, I am trying to pick and choose wisely I appreciate it

Theo

Post by Theo »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:36 pmNice!
Thanks Colonel , I appreciate it

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I was beginning to think I was plumb out of the 72 market. Every one of them I’d looked at on line were way over priced for what they were, and I had about quit looking. But this one found me this past weekend. Actually my dad had picked it and a 23 up at a gun show. I gave him a little profit and pocketed them both!

It’s nothing special, just a run of the mill pre 1976 long line, but it has the brown delrin scales and the federal shield I’m partial to, and the blades are full. I tote one just like it to work around the shop. Now when my old trusty one bites the dust I have a replacement.
EB05898C-CD6B-4837-81D0-B7F3326CE715.jpeg
28850DBB-57D3-4B79-B6BE-77A9984BDF5A.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great little back up. ::tu::
Theo

Post by Theo »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:47 pm I was beginning to think I was plumb out of the 72 market. Every one of them I’d looked at on line were way over priced for what they were, and I had about quit looking. But this one found me this past weekend. Actually my dad had picked it and a 23 up at a gun show. I gave him a little profit and pocketed them both!

It’s nothing special, just a run of the mill pre 1976 long line, but it has the brown delrin scales and the federal shield I’m partial to, and the blades are full. I tote one just like it to work around the shop. Now when my old trusty one bites the dust I have a replacement.

EB05898C-CD6B-4837-81D0-B7F3326CE715.jpeg28850DBB-57D3-4B79-B6BE-77A9984BDF5A.jpeg
Very nice pickup , i have to get a picture I got off the bay , for 11.dollars and change it's a 1047 Boy Scout but 72 to me...again good lookin knife

Theo

Post by Theo »

Received this just a while ago, another 1047 boy scout price was cheap... nothing special
Attachments
IMG_3210.jpeg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Did the two of you just use the phrase "nothing special" when speaking of a 72 and 1047????? No matter the condition they are always something special. I will let it slide just this once. Repeat after me...no matter the variation the 72 family is always something special.
DSCN6275.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Did the two of you just use the phrase "nothing special" when speaking of a 72 and 1047????? No matter the condition they are always something special. I will let it slide just this once. Repeat after me...no matter the variation the 72 family is always something special.
DSCN6275.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

doglegg wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:26 pm Did the two of you just use the phrase "nothing special" when speaking of a 72 and 1047????? No matter the condition they are always something special. I will let it slide just this once. Repeat after me...no matter the variation the 72 family is always something special.DSCN6275.JPG
Yes sir! I fully acknowledge my transgression and I heartily repent.
Robert E. Lee
Theo

Post by Theo »

doglegg wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:26 pm Did the two of you just use the phrase "nothing special" when speaking of a 72 and 1047????? No matter the condition they are always something special. I will let it slide just this once. Repeat after me...no matter the variation the 72 family is always something special.DSCN6275.JPG
You are correct, i was totally wrong, and how did my wifes vase get in there.....lol ..... ::dang::

Theo

Post by Theo »

That is very impressive Dog, also..... " no matter the variation the 72 family is always something special " ::teary_eyes::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

doglegg wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:26 pm No matter the variation the 72 family is always something special.
Amen. A great bunch of very special 72s, y'all! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”