New cheapo Queens

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
313 Mike

New cheapo Queens

Post by 313 Mike »

Who is making these cheap new $20 Queen branded knives that are all over ebay? I thought the trademark and some of the equipment was bought by some guys from the US and they were going to get something going ? I am confused... ::shrug::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
cody6268

Re: New cheapo Queens

Post by cody6268 »

SMKW bought the Queen trademark at the auction (they didn't get Schatt and Morgan, which is made by a guy in Ohio using some old equipment). These particular ones are rebranded Rough Ryder patterns.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Well that sucks, I guess we have seen the last of the USA made Queens then.

The guys at Cooper Cutlery have the Schaat & Morgan trademark but not Queen, according to the info on their website.
https://www.coopercutlery.com/

Have they done any S&M branded knives yet?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
robpa

Post by robpa »

No more Queens, its just a name now. Ive seen a new Schatt, it wasnt terrible but does not compare to anything in my collection. Just think, every time a China knife is sold in the USA, a portion of that money goes to the biggest enemy of the free world. the people who would bury us. And when you have a slew of the phonies, in the end, what have ya got? These Rought Riders are probably as good as todays Case knives. the ones Ive seen are maybe better. buty Case ARE American made. By Americans, the profits stay in America, in a community right down the road from me.
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

I love Queen knives, and this development has been a hard pill to swallow.

It's a funny thing, I've seen a lot of praise for Rough Ryder knives. I've handled a lot of them and I just can't agree. What has happened to Schatt & Morgan is even harder to take.

Ahh, well, the Universe doesn't exist just to make me happy. ::mdm::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Apparently Gilbert Cooper also owns the QUEEN CITY trademark? Or perhaps he's just selling leftover NOS from the Queen factory fire sale. ::shrug::

Here are two made in USA 2014 Queen City knives that are currently up for auction on Gilbert Cooper's eBay site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394394152550?h ... Swp~djqIbI
Queen City 1 Blade Trapper.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364090492278?h ... SwrsBjqOl5
Queen City Stag Trapper.jpg
~Q~
robpa

Post by robpa »

I have to wonder? At the auction there were many many boxes of parts. finished parts and raw parts and you name it. he, Cooper, bought lots of stuff, so did others. I think there are a whole bunch of Schatts and Queens and Queen city knives out there which were assembled since then and on the market. like lots of S&M autos, and more. many might be called factory samples? My buddy was a sales manager at Queen and he knows a lot of the old knife guys. he doesnt tell me too many "secrets" but every now and then. Im pretty careful what I put in my collection. I dont know, Im just sayin?. I would rather have a parts knife fom all USA titusville parts that a damn china queen.
bluecow

Post by bluecow »

robpa wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:26 pm No more Queens, its just a name now. Ive seen a new Schatt, it wasnt terrible but does not compare to anything in my collection. Just think, every time a China knife is sold in the USA, a portion of that money goes to the biggest enemy of the free world. the people who would bury us. And when you have a slew of the phonies, in the end, what have ya got? These Rought Riders are probably as good as todays Case knives. the ones Ive seen are maybe better. buty Case ARE American made. By Americans, the profits stay in America, in a community right down the road from me.
AMEN!
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

What the heck are the guys at Cooper doing? They certainly don't seem to be making knives. And so far there hasn't a single product from them that I would even consider owning. I was hoping they might get their act together but that isn't happening. ::facepalm::

I'm still buying pre-owned Schatts and anything made by Queen from the early 90's until KD closed the doors. ::shrug::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:38 am Apparently Gilbert Cooper also owns the QUEEN CITY trademark? Or perhaps he's just selling leftover NOS from the Queen factory fire sale. ::shrug::
Must be the latter. The Queen City name is owned by Smoky Mountain Knife Works. https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel ... euulh.2.34

“Queen” is also owned by SMKW.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”