SMKW Big Chief Copy

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
cody6268

SMKW Big Chief Copy

Post by cody6268 »

Mods, move this if it doesn't belong here.

Looks like the Big Chief is the first direct copy of a Queen model SMKW is now producing.

https://www.smkw.com/queen-city-big-chief-easy-opener

The design sucks and it looks cheap. Even the aluminum looks wrong. Looks like the Chinese couldn't figure out the #45's innovative one-pin construction or its handle with cutouts that could hold the spring in with just that one pin. The pivot is screwed as well, as opposed to pinned.
s-l1600QBCC.jpg

I paid a little bit more($30?) for my 1990s #45EO w/bail a few years before Queen went under. It's been a go-to camping and fishing knife. A really beat up 1960s #45 also sees use as an EDC; despite being acquired as a parts knife to repair a #45S (serrated) with a snapped backspring. The blade still had plenty of meat left despite a lot of sharpening, and great snap with no wobble, so it was too nice to be parts knife. I've actively sought out one with a tipped/snapped blade, but people are asking stupid money for those too. Prices have doubled on even the unloved, usually inexpensive Big Chief after Queen closed.

I don't understand why they couldn't get the design right. Given how, for many years, the #45 was among the cheapest Queen models, it couldn't have been difficult or expensive to produce.

I was tempted, but then I found that finally, a seller had the #45 backspring I needed to repair the #45s, so I bought a bulk amount of those springs and a hawkbill diver's blade.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SMKW Big Chief Copy

Post by 1967redrider »

That's just sad, cody. ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well Cody since I am the original "Big Chief" (just kidding) my curiosity got the better of me.
I have one of the original "Big Chief" knives from the 60's so I want to compare them together.
I ordered one from SMKW and it should be here within a week.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Herb is going to cry when he sees these, he rebuilds a lot of the old ones. ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
DanQueencutlerycom

Post by DanQueencutlerycom »

Yes, this was one of Queen's biggest sellers for YEARS. Began in1953 and was only dropped because they changed the tempering for backspring during the Daniels family era and couldn't get it fixed. You want an early knife with powerful backspring and a new knife with good blade to fix up. In 1953, when first offered this knife was $.99! GUIDE below for 70 years of catalogs and price lists shows the different versions - My favorite the lockback: https://queencutleryguide.com//wp-conte ... 0-2019.pdf TOO bad SMKW chose to copy this knife IMO.
Dan Lago for
<QueenCutleryguide.com>
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I just purchased one off eBay.
I also bought a NOS sheepsfoot blade for the Big Chief.
I figured since the copy has a set screw for the blade I can install the sheepsfoot blade.
I'm not paying $130 for a Big Chief on eBay. I'm only out $25 so it's no big deal if it doesn't work.
Attachments
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
Tim
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Beavertail wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:59 pm I just purchased one off eBay.
I figured since the copy has a set screw for the blade I can install the sheepsfoot blade.
I'm not paying $130 for a Big Chief on eBay. I'm only out $25 so it's no big deal if it doesn't work.
Hope that works. I'm having trouble finding a frame. I've emailed the seller the back springs and diver blade cames from, asking if he had any, but I still haven't gotten anything back. The pivot looks big, and it appears that SMKW may have taken an existing Granddaddy Barlow pattern and gave it Big Chief lookalike aluminum handles.

I would question all of those $100 plus Big Chiefs from that seller in SC. The knives look to have been assembled by hand, and the pins look hand-peened, and there are sanding/file marks around the pivot. I believe these were assembled from leftover parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=vi ... f&_sacat=0

This one is especially suspect, as it looks like the nick was done with a cutoff wheel and the blade is sterile.

s-l1600QBS.jpg
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:55 pm
Hope that works. I'm having trouble finding a frame. I've emailed the seller the back springs and diver blade cames from, asking if he had any, but I still haven't gotten anything back. The pivot looks big, and it appears that SMKW may have taken an existing Granddaddy Barlow pattern and gave it Big Chief lookalike aluminum handles.

I would question all of those $100 plus Big Chiefs from that seller in SC. The knives look to have been assembled by hand, and the pins look hand-peened, and there are sanding/file marks around the pivot. I believe these were assembled from leftover parts.

This one is especially suspect, as it looks like the nick was done with a cutoff wheel and the blade is sterile.

s-l1600QBS.jpg
Thanks for the heads up about those knives from S.C. ::handshake::
I almost bought one this morning.
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

s-l1600QBS.jpg
Got my Big Chief and NOS blade, you were right about the pivot hole.
Fortunately I've got all kinds of tools in my shop and got it to work pretty well.
I removed the bale and all that's left is to give it a good sharpening. Being the very first knife I've ever done any work on, I'm very pleased with it.
Attachments
20220416_170633.jpg
Tim
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well sir I think you did a right dandy job. Enjoy your new knife! ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:30 pm Well sir I think you did a right dandy job. Enjoy your new knife! ::tu::
Thank you! ::handshake::
Tim
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Beavertail wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:24 pm

s-l1600QBS.jpg
Got my Big Chief and NOS blade, you were right about the pivot hole.
Fortunately I've got all kinds of tools in my shop and got it to work pretty well.
I removed the bale and all that's left is to give it a good sharpening. Being the very first knife I've ever done any work on, I'm very pleased with it.
You should be proud of it. Carried one through High School. ::tu::
LHacken

Post by LHacken »

I wish Queen would make knives again, instead of putting their name on some Chinese junk

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”