did I buy a fake?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
flynbulldog

did I buy a fake?

Post by flynbulldog »

I just purchased, but have yet to receive, a Queen City mother of pearl gunstock with a single clip point blade - etched on the blade is "1 of 100 2004"
But I cant find any information on this knife - I checked the archive catalogs for 2004 and it isn't there.

I got this on ebay it didnt have any bids on it so I bid the minimum and forgot about it. Next thing I know I won the thing - the fact that nobody else bid on it makes me wonder if I'm not seeing the reason no one else wanted it.

Anyone have any information on it for me?
Q01.jpg
Q02.jpg
kris_kross

Re: did I buy a fake?

Post by kris_kross »

Looks good to me, box and all, I've never seen a fake queen so pretty sure it's real.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

kris_kross wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:04 pm Looks good to me, box and all, I've never seen a fake queen so pretty sure it's real.
I agree.
Eye Brand Collector
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Who knows. I suspect there may be some floating around now that were assembled from leftover parts when the factory closed.
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

I've never seen a single blade gunstock - every one I've ever seen has been 2 or 3 blades and why did nobody bid on this? I bought it cheap. I just realized this knife is way before the Daniels family ran/owned queen. What was the quality and desirability of their knives before Daniels? any ideas?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:44 pm Who knows. I suspect there may be some floating around now that were assembled from leftover parts when the factory closed.
I think you may be on to something regarding this knife. But I'm no Queen expert.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

flynbulldog,
My son found me a S&M with wooden handles, an equal end, like a Moose, clip on one end and the spay on the other. Nice looking knife but a pattern that didn't ring a bell with anyone here on the forum. The tang of the clip on the pile side has a "QDFC" stamp, the mark side has the S&M logo over Titusville PA.. The spay has the full names, SCHATT & MORGAN on it's tang.
All this added up to a knife that was probably assembled with pieces and parts when the Queen inventory was sold. The knife looks good, is solid in every way. It's a real knife and probably a "fake" at the same time. Had I been looking for an EDC, this would have interested me but S&M is, as I once said, a little above my paygrade. :)
Ain't she pretty?  Probably a fake.
Ain't she pretty? Probably a fake.
Please excuse the quality of the pictures, a bit blurry.
Please excuse the quality of the pictures, a bit blurry.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The OP knife is PH-D2, a great knife steel. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Tree, I've seen similar stamping recently, Queen and S&M collaborations.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

I have seen other knives with both the Queen logo and Schatt and Morgan, in fact I was just looking in the SM for sale section earlier today and I believe I saw one there. Queen did make SM knives for several years so it makes sense that QDFC would be there. I dont think that knife is a fake or made from parts.

I found that pattern a couple of times in the queen catalog, its a 66BEM special muskrat. I'd bet if you look long enough you will find that SM made one too.
special moose.JPG
66BEM.JPG
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

I wanted to wrap this thread up. I received the knife today and it is definitely not a fake or made from parts. Wow, I am so impressed with this MOP gunstock, the fit, finish, and craftsmanship is spectacular. Those pictures do it no justice, the knife is in perfect condition and the overall presentation is exceptional - its a true gentleman's knife. I really got lucky on this auction because I think the knife is worth double what I paid for it and had I seen this in person I probably would have paid double for it.

Thanks for reading the thread guys and if anybody comes across any literature on this knife please post it here. I keep a written record of every knife in my collection and would love to have an official reference on it.
LHacken

Post by LHacken »

Well done!

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”