O K stockman a Queen?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

O K stockman a Queen?

Post by lentuk »

Just got this today, I remember reading Ontario Knife and Queen were the same company at one time???
Did Queen make this? the fit and finish on this O K stockman is not as good as any Queen made slipjoint I have ever handled, the blades have uneven grinds and sanding marks still visible through the poorly executed high polish, the krink of the sheepsfoot is more of a bow all along the blade. The Delrin covers are nice.
It looks pretty good in this picture I guess...
20211112_151956.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: O K stockman a Queen?

Post by treefarmer »

lentuk,
I have nothing to back up my opinion at this time. My opinion though is that the knives made with the OK stamp are contract knives made by Queen. Several years ago I found a OK folding hunter in a junk shop. It is in every way a #39 Queen except for the handle material and the OK stamp. Gut feeling tells me your knife was made by Queen because of the imitation Winterbottom handles. I will try and root through the Queen site and see what it says concerning the Queen/Ontario connection.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I had a #1L hawkbill with an Ontario stamp. I suspect some lower-end Queens were produced alongside the Old Hickory line for Ontario, and were designed as workhorses and a bit of a budget line. These all seem to have had carbon steel blades, as I saw a well-used version of your knife that had full patina.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

lentuk,
Here is a previous post concerning the Ontario/Queen question:
viewtopic.php?t=62181
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

Thank you for the info, looks like carbon steel blades, some mild patina and spots.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”