What's with the boxes!

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Hemitime
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What's with the boxes!

Post by Hemitime »

I have been looking for certain winter bottom patterns and have had some pretty good luck. The problem is one seller has a ton of winter bottom for sale but not one has the original box. I figured they bought someone’s collection and there were no boxes. I then find other sellers in other markets and they don’t have the original boxes either! What is with Queen and their boxes? Maybe I am too particular and it should not be a big deal? Are the boxes important to you fellows? What say you.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's with the boxes!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very few if any pocket knives were individually boxed prior to the 1980s. They were individually wrapped in paper and packed 1/2 dozen or 1 dozen knives in each box. Very few knives having genuine Winterbottom bone covers were being made after that time - most Queen pocket knives at that time and after had imitation Winterbottom (Winterbottom-jigged Delrin) covers.

So, old pre-1980s pocket knives having genuine Winterbottom bone covers were made at a time when knives were not individually boxed. I don’t know the exact year when Queen began using individual boxes, but it was after most Winterbottom bone knives were made. Maybe someone else knows. ::shrug::

To answer your other question, it depends. I started collecting when there were no individual boxes and most of the knives in my collection are pre-1980s. They don’t have boxes because they were never in individual boxes. If I was a collector of newer knives I might feel differently. ::shrug:: As it stands, I don’t give a hoot about boxes, unless they’re really old boxes from the “bulk pack” days.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Hemitime
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Hemitime »

Ken thanks so much for your reply. You have just educated me. Bottom line you are going to cost me some money!! ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hemitime wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 pm Ken thanks so much for your reply. You have just educated me. Bottom line you are going to cost me some money!! ::tu::
:lol: Sounds to me like you have a problem. Welcome to the club!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Hemitime
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Hemitime »

And I here it is incurable. I keep telling myself I’m going to slow down, but the mailman keeps bringing me something. ::ds::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

There are a few exceptions to the rule of old knives not coming in individual boxes, but not many I know of. The Remington Official BSA pocket knives came in individual boxes as did Kutmaster GSA knives and 50s Camillus Cub Scout knives. Union Cut/KA-BAR "hobo" knives with fork and spoon are sometimes seen in individual boxes but I am unsure if they came that way through their entire manufacturing time. I have had a couple Remington letter opener/office knives in individual boxes but really have not seen many other than those mentioned. Plenty of boxes for a half dozen pocket knives by most all manufacturers are well known and highly sought after by collectors, some empty boxes selling for hundreds of dollars each.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm Very few if any pocket knives were individually boxed prior to the 1980s. They were individually wrapped in paper and packed 1/2 dozen or 1 dozen knives in each box. Very few knives having genuine Winterbottom bone covers were being made after that time - most Queen pocket knives at that time and after had imitation Winterbottom (Winterbottom-jigged Delrin) covers.

So, old pre-1980s pocket knives having genuine Winterbottom bone covers were made at a time when knives were not individually boxed. I don’t know the exact year when Queen began using individual boxes, but it was after most Winterbottom bone knives were made. Maybe someone else knows. ::shrug::

To answer your other question, it depends. I started collecting when there were no individual boxes and most of the knives in my collection are pre-1980s. They don’t have boxes because they were never in individual boxes. If I was a collector of newer knives I might feel differently. ::shrug:: As it stands, I don’t give a hoot about boxes, unless they’re really old boxes from the “bulk pack” days.

Ken
Good points Ken, you are 50/50 correct.
From my experience collecting Queens, some did come individually boxed.
For example, I used to own a Q78 (1978) #19 Trapper, came with original box. And here's a "07" mini-trapper from '78, original box, genuine rogers jigged bone.
::drool::
Attachments
DSCN5193.JPG
DSCN5195.JPG
DSCN5200.JPG
DSCN5201.JPG
DSCN5203.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hemitime wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:51 pm And I here it is incurable. I keep telling myself I’m going to slow down, but the mailman keeps bringing me something. ::ds::
Welcome to the club mate. You've picked a bunch of enablers for knife buddies; watch out, be careful, or yer pocket book wont know what hit it.
:lol:

::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Willy, do you have any Winterbottom genuine bone knives with boxes? That was the context of this thread. As Gene pointed out there were a few older knives (pre-1980s) that had individual boxes. Which is why I said “very few”. So I’ll give you maybe 5%. Making me ~95% correct. 8) :lol: I learned long ago there are very few absolutes in this ole world.

::poke::

Nice looking knives BTW! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:09 am Willy, do you have any Winterbottom genuine bone knives with boxes? That was the context of this thread. As Gene pointed out there were a few older knives (pre-1980s) that had individual boxes. Which is why I said “very few”. So I’ll give you maybe 5%. Making me ~95% correct. 8) :lol: I learned long ago there are very few absolutes in this ole world.

::poke::

Nice looking knives BTW! ::tu::

Ken
Oh, thanks for the bonk Ken, that part completely blew me by. ::dang::
Life living with a foggy brain; yup, that's my excuse... :mrgreen:

:lol:

Thank you sir! I jumped and drooled all over my screen, when I saw Gary's listings. You could say I was certainly taken with her. :D
And no sir,
that tis one that has gotten away...
If you ever come wind of a #19, let me know please.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

DanQueencutlerycom

Post by DanQueencutlerycom »

Spending some time of All about pocket knives and finding it very useful. So this is a late response about Queen boxes and Schatt & Morgans as well. Our group has done a very thorough review of both early and late Queen boxes from 1900 - 2017. Many were not boxed individually, but a number did have unique boxes. Check this out for 8 articles, over 90 pages, with many boxes dated: https://www.queencutleryguide.com/artic ... l-articles

We feel boxes, (and blade etches) especially in the modern era, are a big help in avoiding "parts knives" that might appear from the factory, but were seconds and parts sold after the bankruptcy.
Dan Lago for
<QueenCutleryguide.com>

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”