Queen City B&T make ya want to cry.

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Queen City B&T make ya want to cry.

Post by Colonel26 »

After church today we went to mom and dad’s for dinner (lunch to y’all from north of here) and dad gave me this. His neighbor passed away and the son gave dad some old junk knives that were in his dad’s shop. This old Queen City was in there. That broken slab of winterbottom bone makes ya want to cry.
263B8A87-0549-4A2E-82BF-3CFEC24BE719.jpeg
21DBE432-44BA-4D7E-927A-17697EDFEBB7.jpeg
5037CD89-2677-4154-B0DD-29E70A8AFE1C.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen City B&T make ya want to cry.

Post by carrmillus »

...col., how old is that tang stamp????.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:58 pm ...col., how old is that tang stamp????.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
From the chart I saw 1922-1932.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very neat! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Queen City in block letters is 1922-1932, cursive letters circa 1940s.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I looked at that one wrong. According to this chart I just pulled up it looks like 1925-1945. Is this right?
8B471643-4295-4311-9E66-432943FCF4FE.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yup, you got it!! All the WW2 PX fixed blade knives by Queen are so marked as are WW2 era pocket knives. I am unsure if Queen fixed blade marks ran the same as pocket knives or if they were different periods as Case knives were. Your knife with the aluminum pommel and guard would have to be pre-1940 since aluminum became a strategic metal by the war and was not permitted for civilian use.
bdev

Post by bdev »

Would be interesting to know what the filed grooves on both sides of the guard were for. Deer hunting?
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That is a good question.

I’m excited to get it in the shop and see how well it cleans up, and put some new scales on it. I’d love to find another piece of old winterbottom to match the good side, but that’s unlikely. Culpepper does some decent looking winterbottom, but it can’t hold a candle to this old stuff.
Robert E. Lee
bdev

Post by bdev »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 am That is a good question.

I’m excited to get it in the shop and see how well it cleans up, and put some new scales on it. I’d love to find another piece of old winterbottom to match the good side, but that’s unlikely. Culpepper does some decent looking winterbottom, but it can’t hold a candle to this old stuff.
You might consider leaving the bone as is and "fill in" what's missing with a synthetic of some kind. The original bone gives it its character and the one side is not in bad shape.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bdev wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am

You might consider leaving the bone as is and "fill in" what's missing with a synthetic of some kind. The original bone gives it its character and the one side is not in bad shape.
That crossed my mind. I just don’t know what kind of synthetic material I’d use to keep it from looking like bubba did the work. Goodness knows I’m bubba enough!
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....my dad used to have a mechanic at his service station named "bubba", and he did GOOD work!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm .....my dad used to have a mechanic at his service station named "bubba", and he did GOOD work!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................
lol!

Truth be told, about any bubba could probably do finer work than I.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We can't all be Glenn. You have other talents.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 am
bdev wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am

That crossed my mind. I just don’t know what kind of synthetic material I’d use to keep it from looking like bubba did the work. Goodness knows I’m bubba enough!

Acra-Glas works great. It's easy to jig with a dremel.
Although I do have problems trying to match colors.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”