Queen Army Utility Knife

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
CampbellAr2

Queen Army Utility Knife

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Looking for a bit of background story to Queens run at the military utility knife

I bought one of these recently, while Camillus made a ton of these, from what I can tell Queen only made these in 1986

Definitely see some fit/finish issues that don’t speak well as compared to my normal expectations of a Queen knife. Camillus made versions of this are definitely better put together

Ed
Attachments
7B9314FE-4891-4A39-8110-A3745FC82CDB.jpeg
eveled

Re: Queen Army Utility Knife

Post by eveled »

AFAIK Queen just happened to get the contract to make them that year. Yours may be an anomaly, the Queens I have seen have been well put together, and some Camillus ones have not been so great. Whoever made them didn’t seem to worry much about fit and finish. Just thrown together quick for a military contract.

By far the nicest one I have was made by Case, it has brass liners and is smooth as butter. Whenever I mention it I’m told it was made by Camillus for Case, but it is way nicer than any Camillus I have. Go figure?

I spent the better part of two years recovering from shoulder surgeries. To entertain myself I cataloged every one of these knives that was listed on eBay.

Some years are very common, some are scarce. You are correct AFAIK that all Queens are from 86, and I never found a Camillus 86.

I also bought ones for the kids in my family from their birth years. 1999 for my nephew was very hard to find.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I’m always interested in Queens, I found one of the 1986 military utility knives at a flea market a year or so ago. I had to ask the forum if the single “Q” indicated it was a Queen. I’ve had a few of these by Camillus and never gave them a second thought concerning “fit and finish”. I only kept the Queen, so now I’ll have to find another Camillus to see what the difference is. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thanks for the input!

To be fair, I’ve made my assessment on a sample size of 1 on this particular model. Although given this was previously owned by an Army aviator, I do not think it was heavily used. :lol:
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

They suffer from the same ailments as Camillus made knives the back spring have a tendency to break. Do not in anyway open more than one blade at a time. As far as f&f goes I see no difference in the Camillus made and the Queen that I've handled. I've never seen a Case so can't comment on it. ::handshake::
eveled

Post by eveled »

37750ECA-D24C-4675-93C7-14E5B0D70355.jpeg
These are the American manufacturers that I’m aware of. Top to bottom. The Schrade is dated 1982, Camillus Case Imperial Ontario Queen Ulster. All with stainless blades. The ww2 Stevenson 1945, no date Stevenson and Kingston is not shown. The ww2 ones have carbon steel blades.

Now all you can get are foreign made. Marbles Schrade Camillus, Sheffield, Colonial. That I’m aware of.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

eveled wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 pm
37750ECA-D24C-4675-93C7-14E5B0D70355.jpeg
These are the American manufacturers that I’m aware of. Top to bottom. The Schrade is dated 1982, Camillus Case Imperial Ontario Queen Ulster. All with stainless blades. The ww2 Stevenson 1945, no date Stevenson and Kingston is not shown. The ww2 ones have carbon steel blades.

Now all you can get are foreign made. Marbles Schrade Camillus, Sheffield, Colonial. That I’m aware of.
That is a very informative post, eveled. ::tu:: Haven't really been interested in this type knife except for the Queen that I have and that only because it was a Queen. Might pay more attention now that I know there are so many makers. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks treefarmer. It’s a rabbit hole. The more you look the more you find. Especially if you include the bone handled military utility knives.
CE7480AF-D571-48C7-8955-680272997A3D.jpeg
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

you can include Western in that listing of milspec utilities.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”