Queen Cutlery History

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
nifbuf

Queen Cutlery History

Post by nifbuf »

In light of SMKW’s recent issue of the new Queen Pilot Test Run knife, the editors at queencutleryhistory.com have published a short article “Is There a Future for New Queen Knives”. What’s your opinion?
David Clark
cody6268

Re: Queen Cutlery History

Post by cody6268 »

I agree with the wording of the article completely. To me, the knife didn't even look like a Queen. I do like that unlike Schrade, Camillus, Kissing Crane, Rodgers, and many more; it wasn't sold off to a company who made super-cheap and ugly knives made in China. But, they had to go with the cheapest workmanship and materials in the USA they could get. A pattern I can't recall Queen even making, in handle materials I've never seen a Queen in; and 440A stainless. And there isn't even a tang stamp--just a blade etching. While sure, I think $39.99 is reasonable, it could've been so much better. You can get the exact same knife (albeit with a Bear and Son tang stamp) in wood for less money, or "India" stag (which I think is a fancy word for bonestag) for $4 more; as opposed to black plastic. If simply they'd used Bear's best--stag and S30V, it would be a great knife.

Instead, I bought a real Queen, one of the many completed knives complete, but left over from the factory closure; which is a 2015 Moore Maker 3 7/8" Trapper for about the same amount. It's been an amazing knife; and very well built. 1095 Carbon steel blades, yellow bone handles (not plastic!), and a liner lock on the main blade. Definitely not Queen's best, but definitely better than the average output of Bear.
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

Queencutleryhistory.com has received permission to re-publish all the the Newsletters of Queen Cutlery Collectors, Inc. The newsletters were originally published between 1998 and 2004 and contain many interesting articles, photos and stories. You can view or download them here https://queencutleryhistory.com/index.p ... -articles/
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

Did you every wonder about the origins of Queen's distinctive Burnt Orange knife handles? The new Knife Spotlight at queencutleryhistory.com features recollections from Fred Sampson, retired master cutler. He tells us the first batch was very nearly a disaster. The featured spotlight is also available for download from the Cutlery Articles page.
Attachments
016.JPG
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

The new Historical Knife Spotlight at queencutleryhistory.com features the Sleeveboard pattern knives made by Schatt & Morgan and Queen. The feature includes several photos of rare vintage knives. Check it out and feel free to share your thoughts on the comments page.
David Clark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David,
That was an interesting read! Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
I've never seen one of the larger sleeveboard Queens. I have a smaller #3 sleeveboard with the Rogers bone that is almost mint.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

In general, I am not in favor of "resurrected" brand names. At best, I see them as an illusion - they are a nod to a past that is gone and can never be again. At worst, they are a cheap attempt to profit by exploiting our sense of nostalgia (*cough* Frost Family *cough*). Quite frankly, I have much more respect for the Rough Ryder brand because at least it was created as a new brand. As a collector, I do not want a brand's history to be muddied by this type of nonsense. 20 years from now, when everyone talks about the different eras of the Queen brand, I predict we won't see this era favorably.

One of my first really disappointing knife purchases was a "Bear Edge" knife. It is a cheap, poorly constructed Chinese knife with horrible action. It pretty much swore me off Bear & Sons because although Bear Edge is NOT made by Bear & Sons, it indicated to me that Bear & Sons was willing to leverage their name to market low quality knives. Being manipulated by Marketing departments just p!sses me off...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

These won’t fit in your pocket! The Queen Cutlery History Spotlight knives this month are the Schatt & Morgan and Queen letter opener knives. These knives featured an equal end handle as often found on pen and pocket knives. The folding blade was a 2 inch short spear but a long tapered knife opener blade extended from the opposing end.
Attachments
Queen letter opener (1).JPG
Queen letter opener (3).JPG
Queen letter opener (4).JPG
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

Queen Cutlery’s elusive Smoked Pearl pocketknives are in the Queen Cutlery History, Historical Knife Spotlight this month. Discover facts about these rare and beautiful knives and enjoy the new photos.
smoked pearl.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

This month's Historical Knife Spotlight on queencutleryhistory.com is focused on Queen Cutlery’s # 11, 11EO utility and # 24 slim trapper knives. At a quick glance, the patterns look essentially the same, but there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences. You will see details and photos of several of these fine knives.
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

A new Historical Knife Spotlight has been posted to queencutleryhistory.com. This months topic is the series of rare pocketknives with satin-finished blades made by Queen in 1960, as a marketing experiment. Some mis-conceptions about these knives have been cleared up and detailed photos are included.
Attachments
PC080041.JPG
PC080050.JPG
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

A new Historical Knife Spotlight has been posted at queencutleryhistory.com. This month's spotlight is on the rare Queen #44 short frame folding hunter. Of course background on the standard-size #44 is included as well. It's an interesting story and worth a look.
#44 short frame.jpg
David Clark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David,
Thanks again for bringing this new "spotlight" article to our attention. I gather there are some people carrying or in possession of pretty rare Queens that can hardly be spotted with the naked eye, something only an informed collector would know to look for. Not being a collector I'll now call myself an informed accumulator. :) I have only one #44 and it has the off center Q over STAINLESS ('51-'54) and is 5 1/4".
Treefarmer

nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

This month, the queencutleryhistory Historical Knife Spotlight features Queen's big, hefty, 2-blade # 39 folding hunter. This popular knife was launched 70 years ago, had a few variations and remained in the Queen product lineup right up to the end. Check it out!
Attachments
#39.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

The new Historical Knife Spotlight on queencutleryhistory.com shines on some beautiful pearl handled knives, with hand filing and burnishing by English immigrant cutler Samuel Nelson. The article, by David Clark, includes a short biography of Nelson as well as photos of some rare, artistic knives.
Attachments
filework.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

There is a new Historical Knife Spotlight article at queencutleryhistory.com. This month's feature is the 20 year run of the highly collectible Keystone Series. In 1991 Queen revived the Schatt & Morgan brand with an annual set of limited issue, hand crafted, premium quality pocketknives. Have a look!
Attachments
4 blade.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

A new Historical Knife Spotlight has been posted at queencutleryhistory.com. This month's feature kicks off a limited series on Schatt & Morgan and Queen contract knives, spanning more than a century. You'll read about brands you know and some you may never have heard of. Check it out!
royal brand.jpg
David Clark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::tu::
Treefarmer

nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

The latest Historical Knife Spotlight at queencutleryhistory.com is the second installment of a series on contract knives made by Schatt & Morgan and Queen. This month's feature covers the Griffon Cutlery and Curtin & Clark knives made years ago by Schatt & Morgan. Several photos of rare knives and actual tang stamp dies and impressions are included.

Also new at QCH (and available for download) is a supplement to the Tang Stamp Guide covering Dollar Knife, Tuna Valley and Robeson.
Attachments
Copy of Curtain & Clark Texas Jack 2_001.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

Queen Cutlery History has just added David Clark's interview with legendary Queen collector Joe Dial. Joe recounts the early days of his collecting "career" as he travelled throughout the South in the 1970's and '80's. Along the way he acquired many unused and mint Queen knives from old displays in now forgotten small town shops. Have a listen!
Attachments
Joe Dial 2021.jpg
David Clark
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

In this month's Historical Knife Spotlight at queencutleryhistory.com we share the story of the recent discovery of an intact, late 1950's Queen knife display. The display, including 39 unused knives will soon be available for all to see at a Georgia winery
queen display.jpg
David Clark
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I find it interesting that the Delrin and Amber scales have degraded, reasoned that UV light caused this, yet the orange background on the board doesn't seem to be that faded. I would think the brightness of the orange would be severely washed out and would be very noticable behind where a knife covered the board.

Very cool website, I need to do a lot of catching up. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

This month’s Historical Knife Spotlight at queencutleryhistory.com is focused on some very rare knives which were made well over a century ago: the Schatt & Morgan Gowanda knives. Produced only from 1897 to 1902, before S&M moved to Titusville, many of these knives formed the inspiration for the Schatt & Morgan knives of recent years.
Attachments
Gowanda Teardrop Jack.jpg
David Clark
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a beautiful one
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I know of a couple guys here on the forum who would like to get their hands on that knife, and wouldn't mind ponying up the dough. 😉

It is really a great looking piece of knife history. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”