Queen #9

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Queen #9

Post by Gone2Three »

Hey folks, I just purchased a new/used Queen steel #9 81' model and I'm having difficulty getting ahold of the nail groove to open it due to the tension of the blades. I've boogered up both thumb nails trying to open primarily the opposite side single blade. The main 2 open with some tugging and snaps like a gator!
I used a jeweler's flat head with a microfiber cloth to get it open, oiled it and still haven't been able to open it up normally. This is my newest Queen (year wise) and it seems like the quality is slightly different from my others. Just wanted to see if anyone here has some recommendations... it a nice one, and worse case scenario I'd have a 2 blade EDC ::shrug::
Attachments
20200413_195619.jpg
20200413_193907.jpg
20200413_193850.jpg
20200413_193846.jpg
20200413_193834.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen #9

Post by treefarmer »

Some times we run across knives that are just way too hard to open. The next one you pick up, identical in every respect except it may have a comfortable pull. ::shrug:: Maybe one of our mechanics will give us a knowledgeable reason for this too strong pull.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:02 pm Some times we run across knives that are just way too hard to open. The next one you pick up, identical in every respect except it may have a comfortable pull. ::shrug:: Maybe one of our mechanics will give us a knowledgeable reason for this too strong pull.
Treefarmer
Thanks Treefarmer!
I've set it aside with the blades in the open position...and it's sitting there taunting me 😉 probably just keep working with it given time for my thumb nails to grow back 😄
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...as my grandpa would say-"put some "salve" on it!!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

:lol: That's what a lot of ol' timers used to say, Tommy!
There was an old cowman that we worked for when we were still going to high school, he called mayonnaise "salve". His wife would bring sandwich material to the cow pens or hay field, where ever we we working and make the best sandwiches and Mr. Story would always say, Put a little "extra salve" on the "wasp nest", referring to mayonnaise on light bread. :)
You just jogged my memory with that word! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....my grandfather used to say........."good for mumps, bumps, and bruises and makes childbirth a pleasure"!!!!..................... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..................
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I am not a knife mechanic so perhaps the most honest thing to start with is I do not know what I'm talking about. However, staying home is getting boring so we can all use a little chit chat.

I have loosened up a few slip joints by opening and closing them hundreds of times with frequent oiling. As new they all had bolsters pressed too tightly together. My efforts only made knives that had normal springs but no snap start snapping as they should. With tightly pressed bolsters only a tiny amount of polishing grit robs a knife of its snap.Working the joints with oil gets rid of the polishing dust and slightly separates the bolsters. If the problem is very stiff springs or the cams on the tangs that work those spring repeated opening and closing is not going to fix it.

I have not done it yet but logically the springs could be thinned by sanding the back of the knife on a belt sander. You'd work it through progressively finer sand paper to restore the factory finish. One of my eBay Queens that is other wise a very nice single blade slip joint Is the hardest to open and close of all the slip joints that I've handled. I like hard snap in a large slip joint but this one is a bitch to open. I'd have tried my idea but I'd be a fool to not experiment with a knife from China first. All I need is a hard to open Chinese slip joint.

Do us both a favor and start a new thread in the knife repair sub-forum. If there's a better way the regulars there will know about it.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thanks everyone!
Lol...love the "salve" story :lol:

I've been "working" that third blade for some time now, still hard to pull open but getting better.
Just don't think the knife ever got handed. Been oiling, opening and closing all blades to work it...

Thanks for the replying, I appreciate your suggestions ::tu:: ::handshake::

Now I'm going to go and make me a mayonnaise sandwich on white bread ::woot::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”