Another Queen? ID help please

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
tinroof

Another Queen? ID help please

Post by tinroof »

This knife was "suposedley" previously owned by a former employee in the Queen factory. The tang stamping is not legible, could be Queen or maybe not. Queen catalog of '79 and 80 editions only list one knife of this size, with leather handles (illustration shows four rings in handles - maybe aluminion - doesn't say). By description, that agrees with my knife. That is an 84 pattern knife. However the tang mark is so no far gone definate identity is not readable. I see many listed on the market of "82", which have same dimensions -- but made with delrin handles, but have never found an "84".
Hoping that somebody has a good guess of what is on my table. Appreciate the help!!
Attachments
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Queen? ID help please

Post by treefarmer »

tinroof,
You've pretty much nailed it down according to the catalogue descriptions, yours is the 84 which is supposed to be 8 1/8", saber ground blade. It is called a "Leather Handled Knife"' the 82 is called "Medium Hunting Knife" same dimension and blade description, handle looks to be imitation Winterbottom Bone. Another source lists the 82 and 84 simply as "Hunting Knife (Fixed Blade)", no mention of handle material at all. Can't find anything concerning the tang stamps. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Thanks Treefarmer, always nice to hear a confirmation from somebody who has seen more than 'ol me. I used a magnifying glass on what is left of the tang stamp. I is enough to agree with the '45 to 48 stamp ID, so I am satisfied. Don't know yet how long the 84 was in production, apparently at least from 1945 to 1980 -- quite a run! ::nod::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

tinroof,
I took a few minutes this afternoon and looked through some online Queen catalogs that go back as far as 1947.
The #84 is shown with plain stacked leather handles that year but in the 1950 catalog it is shown with the decorative rings as your knife has. It does not say what the rings are made of, but in 1950 a dealer could by a dozen for $18.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

In the '50s, if I had a quarter it was because Dad gave it to me, and he was never that loose with money to anybody. I would have still been in grade school, so I lived pretty close to the house, guess I bought my first knife after I bought my first car, and that was after I was in the US Army, had my own paycheck and everything. But when a Queen 84 knife was $18/dozen that was great stuff. Just look at me now, got a whole bunch of nice 'uns.
Thanks for the memories..
Still, it's a rare knife according to today's market.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”