New to me S&M has me stumped

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

New to me S&M has me stumped

Post by treefarmer »

My son gave me this S&M moose. I have looked for 3 days trying to get some info on this one and have come up with very little information. I had hoped my search would show more about this but all I could find was a similar knife identified as a Queen Lumber Jack Moose.
My knife is identified on the mark side of the clip with the regular S&M stamp:
S&M tang stamp on mark side of clip blade
S&M tang stamp on mark side of clip blade
The pile side of the clip has this stamp which at least narrows down the time of production:
Queen Daniels Family
Queen Daniels Family
The spay blade is stamped with this:
Spay blade stamp
Spay blade stamp
My son had wrapped the knife and when I opened it, the first thing I noticed was the nail nicks looked like those on the RR knives:
Nail nick reminded me of RR knives
Nail nick reminded me of RR knives
When I finally got it opened up I found it to be an S&M. Opening the clip was most difficult! A real nail breaker, the spay is also strong but does not require the help of a knife pick as does the clip blade. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the gift from my son but I'm highly disappointed in the knife! The blades are not sharpened at the tips, both are extremely dull, doesn't match the grind of the rest of either blade. The effort to close the blades doesn't result in a snap that you would expect from such a difficult opening. ::shrug::
The wooden handles are great, fit and finish of metal to wood is fine, there is no shield. Both blades have a very long swedges on both sides. All this to say I can't find any info on this knife, I have access to "Queen Cutlery History", on line copies of all the Queen and S&M catalogs, still can't find this particular knife. It is probably right there in front of me and I've overlooked it but if y'all can help me find a bit more about this one I'd appreciate the help!
The length is almost 4 1/8" and I suppose it would be called an equal end or a cigar moose?
Nice looking knife but way too hard to open!
Nice looking knife but way too hard to open!
Thanks for any info or directions where to look.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bdev

Re: New to me S&M has me stumped

Post by bdev »

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this knife is a "put together" from Queen's auctioned off parts.
Check with Risner. He might know something about it.
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com/
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the advice, Bruno. ::handshake:: What you said is quite possible, there are wads of Queen blades, pieces and parts on ebay. I contacted Risner and got instructions to email them with my question and am waiting for a response.
Treefarmer
edit: new pictures, purchase date and ebay seller sent to Risner as requested, will post info when recieved

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The S&M that my son gave me is not authentic, sorry to say. :(
The gentleman I conversed with at Risner said after looking at additional pictures, the knife is a "put together". Apparently there are knives being put together out of the pieces and parts from the Queen demise. Some one did a nice job but it's not a real S&M.
If I can get the clip blade to open more easily, this would make a great EDC.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Check this out: https://www.smkw.com/queen-cigar-trappe ... -q203maple
This appears to be the frame used for this "put together". It would probably be easy for a knife mechanic to utilize that frame, put the clip on one end, the spay on the other, finish with some pretty wood and "Presto" we have an S&M Moose that never before existed. This is my conclusion how it came to life after Bruno and the gentleman at Risners said it was a "put together".
The frame as I mentioned was about/almost 4 1/4", well it's exactly 4 1/8" same as the S&M Cigar Trapper on the SMKW page.
Mystery solved, probably.
Treefarmer

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Farmer as you say it'll make a fine toter. I've noticed several on the bay that just don't have the right look. I think we all figured this was coming when they had the auction. Like the sign I saw at Crackerbarrel the other morning said " manure happens". ::tu:: ::handshake::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”