What is the date range on this Queen TL29?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

What is the date range on this Queen TL29?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I just got this Queen TL29 off ebay. I know nothing about Electrician's knives. This tang stamp doesn't match the Queen tang stamp charts I have, because it doesn't have a date over the USA. I'm guessing that they left the date off the TL29 knives because they were probably made under government contract. So, my guess is that this could have made anytime after 1980. Is that correct? Is there any way to narrow it down?

20200124_194830.jpg
20200124_194935.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is the date range on this Queen TL29?

Post by treefarmer »

TFL,
According to one source that stamp was used from 1977 to 1983. The source also said, "Usually the year is included in the stamp." Looks like your knife should fall into that slot.
A fact I don't yet know is, how long were the electrician knives actually identified as TL-29? I have a couple of old wooden handled one with TL-29 stamped into the mark side handle. I'd have to dig them out to know what manufacturer made them as I assume these were actual military issue. ::shrug:: I suppose the proper term for them would now be a commercial electricians utility knife rather than the old military spec.
One thing for sure, most of the newer ones were tough, well made working knives and glenbad turns them into real beauties!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Farmer have hit the nail square dab on the haid.
Attachments
20200125_141337.jpg
20200125_141048.jpg
20200125_133946.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Thank you both! ::tu::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”