3-Blade Queen #77 USA

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Aaron43

3-Blade Queen #77 USA

Post by Aaron43 »

I’m going through knives that my dad recently passed down to me that he and I collected when I was a kid. Looking to learn more about them. Does anyone know the year and value of this 3-blade Queen? The tang is stamped with the Crown Q and #77 and USA.
Attachments
73AEC514-2235-41CA-95E0-A09033C9A611.jpeg
314B14D0-D250-4D94-8A00-58713621C975.jpeg
B4FB71B5-11E6-46A6-8BDA-F34FAFAB9E40.jpeg
0B8EF305-2151-4311-A292-557027F685A1.jpeg
bdev

Re: 3-Blade Queen #77 USA

Post by bdev »

Hi Aaron,
Welcome to the forum.

Your knife was made in 1977 and is a pattern #9 stockman (assuming it measures 4" closed). The handles are Delrin made to look like Winterbottom bone.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Aaron43

Post by Aaron43 »

Thanks bdev!

I appreciate the info. Very helpful. I’ve got a couple more Queens that I’ll be posting to get info on maybe tomorrow. I’d appreciate your help on those also.

What is the reputation of Queen knives in the knife collecting world? I’m very new to it. Are they viewed as highly collectible? I’ve looked into the history and it appears they have been a long standing company.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I collect Queens made from about 1980 until they closed January 2018. Generally, Queens made from about 1990 on were more expensive than similar Case knives. I'm not sure how prices compared before 1990 but Queen always made good knives. They were famous for using very old machines that required manually inserting individual parts into fixtures for each operation. Case has a more automated process. Queen was famous for making small production runs, many of them for other manufacturers who use their own machinery to make large production runs. They also made small runs of knives for distributors who owned or leased the brand names put on the knives. Those tended to be expensive knives.

I hope this helps you understand the brand. Unfortunately I'm nearly done buying Queen knives because the price for like new condition fancy ones that I do not already have is climbing too high.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some people collect Queen knives, especially those the age of yours and older. Yours has some condition issues so that will detract from its collector value. Your best resource for value is to do an advanced search on eBay for sold listings of whatever knife you want to find value of. In this case I would search for “Queen 9 stockman”. Adjust accordingly for condition, compared to the sold knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Aaron43, ::welcome:: to AAPK!
When I was a boy just a few of the old timers had Queen knives, seems like all the rest had a Case or a Treebrand (Boker). Years ago, one of our elderly widow women in the community traded me a #39 Folding Hunter with the same handle material as your knife, Imitation Winterbottom bone. I caught the bug and really enjoy the older Queen knives, I've got a drawer full of them. The ones I enjoy most have the real Winterbottom bone handles however the Imitation Winterbottom bone is much more durable than the real bone when used as an EDC.
Looking forward to see your other knives.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::welcome:: like Ken said yours is a long way from mint, that said it's a fine ole toter, I gave ten bucks for mine a few years ago it's in pretty rough shape main blade's a little short. I've got a #37 that's on the same frame just different blades that I gave 22 bucks for about the same time. As Ken said check Ebay it the best price comparison. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Attachments
20200119_173911.jpg

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”