Rawhide series

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
bighomer

Rawhide series

Post by bighomer »

Thought I'd share my rawhides with you Queen lovers. ::handshake::
Attachments
20191111_163434.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rawhide series

Post by treefarmer »

::tu:: Nice pile of Queens! I don’t see those wooden handles very often. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet!

Love that 3rd one down, the only one with a shield. ::tu:: ::tu::
Can't make out the model number; glare on the blade. What is it?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Glad you shared. ::tu:: Beautiful collection. 8)
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 am Sweet!

Love that 3rd one down, the only one with a shield. ::tu:: ::tu::
Can't make out the model number; glare on the blade. What is it?
4205 same as the 5th one down, it was made in '94 the latter in '82, different shade of stain for sure maybe different wood ::shrug:: only one I've ran across. Thanks for the kind words.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

And thank you for the info.
Something to put on the radar!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Great collection! I especially like the Folding Hunter at the bottom. What's the model number on it? In later years it would be a #39. I have the 1983 single blade liner lock version coming in the mail but it is not etched Rawhide. It's possible that was polished off. It has the same color smooth wood.

Weren't there any stockmans in the series or are they not your favorite?
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:01 pm Great collection! I especially like the Folding Hunter at the bottom. What's the model number on it? In later years it would be a #39. I have the 1983 single blade liner lock version coming in the mail but it is not etched Rawhide. It's possible that was polished off. It has the same color smooth wood.

MSJ the second,third and fifth are stockman's. This series has numbers of it's on, but are in reality just regular Queens all dressed up in wooden handles. Not all wooden handle Queens are of the rawhide series, but as far as I know all the series had wooden handles. The hunter is a # 4200 but identical to a #39. ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great knives neighbor. I like em all. But that hunter with the saber bring really mashes my buttons. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks neighbor, Fished it out of the bay for 40 bucks + 5.95 shipping, guess that was a pretty good deal as someone on the Queen ebay site was trying to sell one for 150 bucks. ::shrug:: I was the only bid.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Whoa Big H! :shock:
New you also loved queens, but didn't think you built this kind of collection. ::tu:: :D Good on ya mate!
Yes, queens are still the underdog of the knife collecting world. Even S&M's still don't bring large $$$. It sure is great for us guys that don't have (or want) too spend big bucks on knives.
Good stuff! ::groove::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

bighomer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:58 am Thanks neighbor, Fished it out of the bay for 40 bucks + 5.95 shipping, guess that was a pretty good deal as someone on the Queen ebay site was trying to sell one for 150 bucks. ::shrug:: I was the only bid.
Man you got a deal there ::super_happy:: ::tu:: .
I've been watching for one myself, haven't come across one for that kind of dollars. Cheapest I've seen them go is around $65+. You done good Big H 8) .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

bighomer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:13 am
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:01 pm Great collection! I especially like the Folding Hunter at the bottom. What's the model number on it? In later years it would be a #39. I have the 1983 single blade liner lock version coming in the mail but it is not etched Rawhide. It's possible that was polished off. It has the same color smooth wood.

MSJ the second,third and fifth are stockman's. This series has numbers of it's on, but are in reality just regular Queens all dressed up in wooden handles. Not all wooden handle Queens are of the rawhide series, but as far as I know all the series had wooden handles. The hunter is a # 4200 but identical to a #39. ::handshake::
My 1983 single blade liner lock Queen Folding Hunter arrived. The only thing written on it is its Q 83 over USA tang stamp but I think it is a pattern 44L. It's in excellent condition except for light idiot scratches acquired while sharpening. I got it at a used knife price so I can live with them. I'm confident that nothing was polished off the blade. I do not remember seeing a Case single blade Folding Hunter _165 that was not flat ground. In contrast I do not remember seeing a Queen 44 that was not sabre ground. Another difference is that all the locking Case _165s I've seen had back locks and all the locking Queen 44s liner locks. I like buying some of my collection in used condition so that I'll have some that I am not reluctant to use.

I did not spot the low spey blade spines in your Stockmans. In hind sight the high sheep's foot blades should have identified them as Stockmans. ::doh::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 pm
bighomer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:13 am

My 1983 single blade liner lock Queen Folding Hunter arrived. The only thing written on it is its Q 83 over USA tang stamp but I think it is a pattern 44L. It's in excellent condition except for light idiot scratches acquired while sharpening. I got it at a used knife price so I can live with them. I'm confident that nothing was polished off the blade. I do not remember seeing a Case single blade Folding Hunter _165 that was not flat ground. In contrast I do not remember seeing a Queen 44 that was not sabre ground. Another difference is that all the locking Case _165s I've seen had back locks and all the locking Queen 44s liner locks. I like buying some of my collection in used condition so that I'll have some that I am not reluctant to use.

I did not spot the low spey blade spines in your Stockmans. In hind sight the high sheep's foot blades should have identified them as Stockmans. ::doh::
Congrats those big hunters are fine knives.
As far as I know (which ain't far) they never had a single blade hunter in the rawhide series, but don't take that to the bank. I've been checking out those wooden handle 44's on the bay iff'n one was to get in my price lines I'll try for it. ::tu:: ::handshake::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Got'em out for another group shot.
Attachments
20191212_152945.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Now yer just showin' off!

Love it!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Steve I am and I ought to be ashamed of my self. I'm loving it too. :wink: ::handshake::
Runted

Post by Runted »

I got to looking through my Queens and found a couple of Rawhide series knives.
One is a 4225 single blade lockback.
Another is 8075 2 blade Barlow.
And another is a 4205 3 blade stockman.
I may have 2 more but will have to dig around and see if I found them.
On second thought they aren't Rawhide they are the button lock folders that Queen made.
I will see if I can find a picture of them to post.
Tanuki

Post by Tanuki »

Found my first Queen today, a 3 5/16" stockman, No.4210 in the Rawhide Series.

Can anyone give me an idea what wood I'm looking at?
FF35E4BB-DB08-465E-8B6F-BAE0E5B126A3.jpeg
John - semi-corny, looking for a maize knife
bfgodlesky

Post by bfgodlesky »

good chance its chestnut.
DanQueencutlerycom

Post by DanQueencutlerycom »

Like the Rawhides, Queen's first major effort in the 1980s to change up their traditional line. They added occasional different knives (like the barlows) and changed up handle woods over the years. Based on their catalogs and price sheets, this GUIDE is an efficient way to cover the series. https://queencutleryguide.com//wp-conte ... 0-2019.pdf
Dan Lago for
<QueenCutleryguide.com>

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”