$2 Queen hunter

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
tallguy606

$2 Queen hunter

Post by tallguy606 »

Found a Queen 2-bladed folding hunter at a flea market this weekend. $2, I guess because of the missing pieces out of the handle. T
DSCF1796.JPG
DSCF1798.JPG
he blades are tight, weak snap though. I think it has some life left in it. This is only the second Queen I've ever had. Are the scales real bone? Any ideas how to fill in the missing handle pieces with something? Seems like an old knife, but no rust at all on the blades, are they stainless? Thanks for the info.
Gunsil

Re: $2 Queen hunter

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, scales are winterbottom bone. Blades are stainless, even says so on the secondary blade. It appears to have been re-pinned. I have seen simple epoxy used with a thickener to build up a broken handle if one doesn't want to put in the time and/or money to have the scale replaced.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice score for $2. This will work for your type handle, as well.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57370&hilit=acraglas
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...for $2.00, you did well!!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

For the cost of a pop, and at present, less than the cost of a gallon of gas, you did great! Put some new scales on it and you'll have a great user. I have a pile of knives with either broken/damged scales, outgassing celluloid (already removed and disposed of the scales) or shrunken cellulose acetate scales I need to start messing with.

I'd go with stag on that knife. I think a Folding Hunter looks best in stag. Now I like my Pakkawood 6265, but if I had the money, I would buy a stag 6265.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I didn't want to put much effort or $ into this old knife. I took some clear 2-part epoxy, mixed it and let it set up a few minutes, then filled in my handle gaps with it. Came out OK. The spaces are pretty much filled, and you can't feel the sharp edges of the broken areas anymore when you grip the knife. Good enough for a user.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

tallguy606 wrote:I didn't want to put much effort or $ into this old knife. I took some clear 2-part epoxy, mixed it and let it set up a few minutes, then filled in my handle gaps with it. Came out OK. The spaces are pretty much filled, and you can't feel the sharp edges of the broken areas anymore when you grip the knife. Good enough for a user.
It’ll make a very fine user! How do I know? This is one of my very favorite users. A Western Boulder Colorado whittler that someone chipped a chunk out of the backside long long ago, and filled with white paint of some kind. Lol. It works.
43A8CCA6-B10C-4120-B040-1EC92C1BD4B1.jpeg
8A46052C-0FB6-4C74-9B60-8A694DD11218.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::tu:: Great old knife. That’s the way to find a user, $2.00, love it!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”