New pickup

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
GARRYOWEN83

New pickup

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

my 2nd Queen
hawkbill.jpg
hawkbill (2).jpg
Queen knives.jpg
"GARRYOWEN" is the spirit of the 7th Cavalry
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: New pickup

Post by FarSide »

Nice grab. That looks like an older Queen with that stamp.
-Tim
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

FarSide wrote:Nice grab. That looks like an older Queen with that stamp.
The seller said 58-60
The congress #31 is 45 -55 I believe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Nice one, Garry! That stamp is '58-'60 according to the Queen chart here on the forum. That one must have been hiding under something at the hardware store. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mr. GO that one looks pristine. What a great find. ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

................if I'm not mistaken that was the first knife pattern produced by Camillus, at least they are stamped pattern #1!!!.... ::tu:: ............
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

carrmillus wrote:................if I'm not mistaken that was the first knife pattern produced by Camillus, at least they are stamped pattern #1!!!.... ::tu:: ............

OK, that makes it even more interesting . :)
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..it also looks identical to my Camillus which is short-line stamped(1941-1946)!!.......... ::tu:: ...............
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::groove::
Got this one a year ago, but it is one of my more recent Queen knife pickups. Found it on AAPK from Sanders Knives.
Attachments
IMG_7727.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Open Range-19 wrote:::groove::
Got this one a year ago, but it is one of my more recent Queen knife pickups. Found it on AAPK from Sanders Knives.
That is one sweet knife. Beautiful stag on that one.
Here is my latest Queen , it’s a Winchester. Saw this one on Ebay a few weeks ago and bought it at the last second at the starting bid, which I felt was abou 25 to 30 undervalued and won it. Whittler with the buffalo head shield. Been wanting one for quite awhile and finally got one.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0067.jpeg
IMG_0068.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is an exceptionally impressive whittler. I think the master blade is awesome. Possibly due to the angle but it looks different from the usual patterns.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

SSK, that Winchester is one fine looking knife. ::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Winchester with a buffalo shield, that says "American Classic" and agree that big clip is a beut on that 3-blade.
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::tu::
Thanks Sharpnshinyknives. I do like the big hunters and needed a Winterbottom from Queen.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Open Range-19 wrote:::tu::
Thanks Sharpnshinyknives. I do like the big hunters and needed a Winterbottom from Queen.

I didn’t look at the photo’s blown up, sorry I called that stag. I see when I expand the picture that it’s bone. But they did a really good job on that and looks like stag on first look. That looks so much like the GEC 97s that I have purchased recently. Might be a good idea to collect one of these too.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

Sweet knife. I like whats under it as well.

This is my latest find. I dont think the sheath is from the period.

Congrats!!! on all the nice Queens.

20190502_223101.jpg
20190502_223145.jpg
20190502_223219.jpg
20190502_223231.jpg
20190502_223312.jpg
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Thanks GARRYOWEN83,
Accurate Innovations Handle on my M-70, 6.5 Swede. Queen made some good'uns-fixed & folding.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I like your Large Coke Bottle better than the ones GEC just finished making. The hump on your front bolster keeps the corner of the tang from wearing pockets, helps keep my from slipping forward and gives the long handle a better feel. More importantly, unlike GEC's recurved blades, Queen and Case kept Large Coke Bottle edges straight from the choil to the start of the curve up to the point so I can sharpen them the old fashioned way on a flat stone. Your bone is the older black on white cut bone stag that was superseded by amber cut bone stag. Winterbottom has straight grooves and ridges that are all the same width and depth. I prefer Queen's cut bone stag over Winterbottom.

What is the handle pattern number etched not far from the point? It looks like 36 or 38 but my one that was made in 2012 with a carbon steel blade is an 83. Also does it have a date on the tang? I'm trying to collect a list of Queen's pattern numbers which were not consistent over the years. The same handle with a back lock is a 2L.

I used to reload for a Swedish Mauser and a WW II surplus Lunjman simi-auto. They had a fast metric twist that was about 7.7". I had a 6.5-06 built on a Winchester U.S. 1917 with a barrel custom rifled with a 10" twist to make the barrel more accurate with varmint bullets. 10" was still fast enough to stabilize 160 grain round noses at cast bullet velocities. Also its smaller groove diameter helped with cast bullet accuracy. It was supposed to be a do it all rifle for Washington and Montana but I never shot anything larger than mule deer with it. What twist did Winchester use?
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Modern Slip Joints,
Appreciate your information on that knife handle; "black on white cut bone". Thank you.

Catalog gives twist rate of one in 7.87". In regards to the other inquiries here are additional photos:
Attachments
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7777.JPG
IMG_7781.JPG
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Open Range-19,
Thank-you for the additional pictures. Apparently the pattern number was 38 from the 1970s or earlier then it was changed to 83 between 2002 and 2012.

Winchester stayed pretty close to the military twist.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”