Queen Cutlery "Irish Spring", any info?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
petey20

Queen Cutlery "Irish Spring", any info?

Post by petey20 »

Can't seem to find out any information on the Queen Cutlery Single blade "Irish Spring" etched knife, the tang stamp should date it 73-75. Did queen name the knife, irish spring, sure looks like the irish spring brand to me? Thanks in advance for any information.
is3.jpg
IMG_20181214_192350148.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen Cutlery "Irish Spring", any info?

Post by treefarmer »

This might explain your knife: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1838189939
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

treefarmer wrote:This might explain your knife: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1838189939
Treefarmer
Gotta love the seller’s description of the knife. Their “beautiful mint stag handle” would appear to be Winterbottom bone—and fake (Delrin) Winterbottom bone at that?!? ::facepalm::
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

petey20 wrote:Can't seem to find out any information on the Queen Cutlery Single blade "Irish Spring" etched knife, the tang stamp should date it 73-75. Did queen name the knife, irish spring, sure looks like the irish spring brand to me? Thanks in advance for any information.

is3.jpg
IMG_20181214_192350148.jpg
As far as I recall, that was a promotional knife made by Queen for Irish Spring soap. I do not know the details as to how they were given out. Simil;ar to the "Prince Albert" Schrade knives.

Makes some sense - if you are old enough you can recall the Irish Spring commercials where the guy would pull out a pocketknife and cut a bar of the Irish Spring soap in half - then a closeup shot to show the special ingredients in the soap.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”