Queen Cougar Creek ?

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
kootenay joe

Queen Cougar Creek ?

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a LB on ebay now at $255 and climbing that is marked "Cougar Creek USA" that seller says has just come from the Queen factory.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-CUTLERY- ... 1438.l2649

I have never seen a Queen made knife like this.
Have you ?
kj

Edit to add: same seller calls a cut down old carving knife an "Indian Trade Knife" so his descriptions are suspect, including the Queen Cougar Creek USA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen Cougar Creek ?

Post by doglegg »

I saw that too. But with my limited knowledge you never know. If Queen would have sold knives for that much to begin with they would still be in business!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I believe Cougar Creek was started by Dan Reed of Reed Cutlery.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

http://www.blademag.com/knife-news/quee ... eorganizes

"Queen made knives under the Schatt & Morgan and Schatt & Morgan Express lines, as well as the private label lines of Queen Classics, Schatt & Morgan Premier, Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Cougar Creek Knives and Trestle Pine Knives."
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
bdev

Post by bdev »

The Cougar Creek brand is an exclusive of Reed Cutlery. Reed cutlery is/was a retailer of Queen. All of the CC knives on their website are fixed blades and don't look like anything Queen would have made. That folder doesn't look like a Queen made knife to me but who knows. ::shrug::

http://reedcutlery.com/COUGAR-CREEK-KNIVES-c73/
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

wow.
a quick search led me to this
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.16 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Can you give a link to that seller ?
My guess: made in China for "Cougar Creek, Reed Cutlery"
Note: made in China now means high quality for many or even most of their knives.
Queen does not make any knife that resembles this one.
If someone is good with the Chinese websites like Alibaba in China, you might find this same knife for $30.
kj
Rockstars Artifacts

Post by Rockstars Artifacts »

I am highly familiar with this seller and his e-bay listings. This particular Cougar Creek was purchased from Smokey Mountain Knife Works who acquired it from Blueridge Cutlery when they took in a large quantity of queen cutlery items (which is a longer story in itself that doesn't really pertain or matter to this knife or the auction.)

The matter of the Indian Trade Knife. This particular piece was purchased at Old Barn Auction in Findlay, Ohio who is renown for selling Historic and Prehistoric Indian Artifacts. I am not sure how familiar you are with historic or prehistoric indian artifacts, but cut down butcher knives and many assortment of butchers where traded to the indians for fur in the 1000's.

Another thing, this ebay seller has 18000 feedback with a 100% feedback rating and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.

They are not trying to deceive anyone. If you have any more questions, feel free to Privately Message me.

Thanks,
Matt.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Can you give a link to that seller ?
My guess: made in China for "Cougar Creek, Reed Cutlery"
Note: made in China now means high quality for many or even most of their knives.
Queen does not make any knife that resembles this one.
If someone is good with the Chinese websites like Alibaba in China, you might find this same knife for $30.
I'm willing to wager that this is the Queen #3L "Mountain Man" lockback pattern. Pin placement, lock release, bolsters, closed length are all identical. I am making a bit of a W.A.G. in assuming that the blade profile and grind are made using the machining Queen had used for their Northwoods knives, but it seems to stand to reason.

Here is a #3L from Queen's main line:
QN-3LACSB.jpg
And here is the Cougar Creek lockback from the ebay listing in the OP:
s-l1600.jpg
I see no reason to think the dealer photo BatJak posted is not the same knife pictured in the listing.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

This is a great site, I am proud to sponsor it. I am the seller of this Cougar creek knife. I sell under my name, GILBERTCOOPER and I guarantee what I sell. Tsar hit the nail on the head. Great Expert Comment, Kudos to batjak for great research that I could not find. This Knife was made in the USA, By Queen Cutlery. It was never made in China. I have no clue what Joe was thinking, As far as the Indian trade knife comment, I think that was totally uncalled for, but it is America .https://www.ebay.com/itm/173288510543?_ ... 1758.m4704
This is my first post on this site, as I quite frankly don't have the time to post, too busy. But I do support it. Again Great site, Full of nice knowledgeable people. Great posts thanks for the support. I have been collecting & selling Knives for 40 +years. When Schrade went under, I bought 10,000 knives. When Camillus went under I bought 8,000 knives. When Queen went under I bought some of their inventory. I also just purchased the George Smith Collection, Co- Owner of Bluegrass Cutlery, as Queen Made most of the Case Classics. Please watch my e Bay auctions as I will be selling my Queen Inventory, And Case Classic Sample Knives on e bay. I buy and sell knives, and guarantee what I sell.
There are people that talk about things happening, There are people that watch things happen, there are people that wonder what happened.
Then there are people that make things happen. Thanks, Gil
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What i am thinking about is that there are numerous instances of USA companies ordering unfinished knives from China and then finishing them (hafting & buffing mostly) and selling them as USA made knives.
Having never seen a Cougar Creek branding associated with or sold by Queen, i become suspicious and still am.
Someone can be primarily a knife collector or primarily a knife seller. Some knife sellers are also knife collectors but they remain a collector at heart.
Knife collectors often have a different interpretation of a knife than that of a knife seller.
A much used, frequently sharpened vintage Sheffield carving knife is a commonly seen item. They are almost 'a dime a dozen'. Even vintage Sheffield carving sets in excellent condition are hard to sell. The supply exceeds demand by many fold.
None of these heavily used carving knives ever met an 'indian'.
A knife collectors description is more like: "heavily used vintage Sheffield carving knife with +++ blade loss. Was part of a carving set but fork is long gone (stolen by indians ?)".
kj
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

what are the rules here regarding posting links to retail websites?
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Not sure what the rules are per se but I see third-party dealership sites often referenced with new knife releases, so I can't imagine they're too restrictive.

::welcome:: to the world of posting after such a long time lurking, Gil! ::handshake:: Out of curiosity, when did Queen liquidate inventory (if only to dealers), and is there more to come? I've often heard the stories of the Schrade and Camillus liquidations and I've been wondering what we might see with Queen now that it's been confirmed they'll be selling off their tooling and, presumably, remaining stock.

I've also been grabbing Queen/S&M/etc. knives from dealers as they go on sale/clearance. I've got my eye on a 4" whittler right now and I'm keeping an eye on the available stock so I don't wait too long, even as I'm trying to maintain some sort of "knife austerity" now after so many recent purchases.

I do hope we don't see an inundation of Pacific Rim-assembled Queen parts knives. It seems the End of Days knives from Schrade and Camillus were made by legitimate cutlers at the factories. With any luck, depending on circumstances in Titusville, maybe we'll see some show up soon.
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

Ok then, I'll post it.
Sorry if it's breaking any rules.

And since the ebay one has already sold I guess it's ok.

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/m ... creek.html
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Thanks too all for the positive response all good. Tsar. Please keep an eye on my e bay store or you can contact me privately by phone, Number is on my Indian artifact website GilbertCooper.com. I am on eastern time 9 p.m. evenings is a good time to call.
Let me go to joe for a quick response. Glad to see the posts of the Cougar Creek knife, Which proves to me that this is American made Knife made on the same Dies as others. Its plain to me. I understand there are a lot of Knives made in China, OK, I get it.
Now the statement that a Sheffield Table knife never made it to an Indian, is just not true. There are hundreds of examples in Museums and in private hands that prove different. Joe just imagine, the year is 1859 The Sioux were scraping Hides with elk Antlers, So when a wagon train popped up on the prairie with momma's new Sheffield knife and fork set. lol the Sioux attacked the wagon, You think when the Wagon was attacked by the Sioux and the wagon was pillaged that the knifes were not taken and used? They used the glass bottles to make arrowheads, clothing for drops, buttons and rings for jewelry etc. You think the tableware was off limits? Now lets go forward in time a few years after the Indians were on reservations, They needed Knives, traders traded everything under the sun for whatever the Indians had. Could you imagine this joe? could there be a remote chance that an Indian had a Sheffield kitchen Knife? The Indians used wagon Spokes for clubs and anything else they could use, now that's the facts LOL
Sometimes you just cant make a negative, A positive, So at this point I am not going to try. Its all good.
Tsar, In January, 2017 , When Queen Closed its doors, [By the way One of the finest knives made in the U.S. as Queen made most Bluegrass cutlery Winchesters, Most all of the Case Classics and many others.] There were a 1500- 3,000 knives in house. Jerry I believe was the fellow running queen at the time was having to get some Stock, Knife building parts from Blue Ridge.
It is my understanding that Knives were used as collateral, Possibly even traded. These facts will come out eventually anyhow, As I am not the only person that has their knives or knows the facts and my 63 mind may distort those. lol I have about 600 Knives some with boxes, Mostly in stock knives that were acquired months after they closed their doors. I have a lot of Moore Makers, Schatt & Morgan, Tuna, Electric, Cougar Creek, Cold Steel, Queen city and a few others that were made there. All came from Blue Ridge. Let me know what you need. There were a small amount of unique pieces that they had, [some knives were never produced, I will be keeping those as I am a Collector first, dealer second] like unstamped Moore Makers, Protos etc. that generally would never make it to the public. The Bottom line is there are no more Queen made knives. After these are gone that's it. I am extremely busy and may not get right back to you but I will get back. Its farming time here in southern Ohio and the Crappie are Biting. John, its all good I appreciate your input. I am going back to watching lol. Thanks, Gil
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

The Queen knife company name, some machines, some unfinished knives etc. will go up for auction soon. I do not know when. I would imagine that the Pacific rim stuff will come after the auction as you wont see those for awhile if its anything like Schrade. Thanks, again, Gil

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”