The Queen #56 "Coke Bottle" Pattern

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
bdev

The Queen #56 "Coke Bottle" Pattern

Post by bdev »

Here's a pattern that's not talked about that often. The Queen #56 "Coke Bottle" or officially called the Swell Center.
These are the only two that I own.....as of now.
One has Winterbottom Composite handles with a blade etch, no tang stamp, circa 1961-71 (probably early 60's).
The other was made in 1983 and has bone handles. In the 80's, Queen used different pattern numbers. This one is 6140.
It's a 3 1/2" pattern.

If you have any, please post them.
Queen 56 (1).JPG
Queen 56 (2).JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Queen #56 "Coke Bottle" Pattern

Post by treefarmer »

Bruno,
You would think the "powers that were" would have maintained the old pattern numbers. Have the new owners changed back to the old numbers?
Am I correct in assuming there are two different colors of the imitation Winterbottom handles. The gray/black and now the red/brn one you have posted. I've been under the impression these handles were made of Delrin.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bdev

Post by bdev »

treefarmer wrote:Bruno,
You would think the "powers that were" would have maintained the old pattern numbers. Have the new owners changed back to the old numbers?
Am I correct in assuming there are two different colors of the imitation Winterbottom handles. The gray/black and now the red/brn one you have posted. I've been under the impression these handles were made of Delrin.
Treefarmer
treefarmer,
Queen still maintains the original numbers in their basic patterns. You can see this in their new catalog. #19 is still a trapper, #03 is still a small sleeveboard, #39 is still a large folding hunter etc.... etc.....

When Queen first started using Delrin (they are made of Delrin), they had an issue with the dye turning colors. Mostly purple and orange. They fixed this in the early 60's. I have a few number 10's that have an orange color to them.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the info! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”