Finally...

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Finally...

Post by treefarmer »

Finally got what I think is a #10, main blade has been reworked but it is much of a knife! The blade could almost pass as a spear, but it is a tad short. Maybe one day I'll find one that compares to some that Bruno has shown. :) Actually this one found me, it was offered in a trade.
Treefarmer
Reshaped main blade and tang stamp
Reshaped main blade and tang stamp
Pen blade and pile side bone
Pen blade and pile side bone

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bdev

Re: Finally...

Post by bdev »

Very nice treefarmer, very nice. That's a good looking one with nice bone. I just measured a #18 and with the blade in the half stop position, the blade measures 70mm from the bolster to the tip. If you measure yours, you can determine if it has been "tipped".
It looks like a #10 but it's hard to tell from the pic. Either way...nice score. ::tu::

EDIT... I took some measurements and it looks as if you have a #18. The position of the nail nick is different between the #18 and #10.
With the blade in the open position, the measurement from the bolster to the start of the nail nick measures 32mm on the #18 and 20mm on the #10.
DSC_0004.JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a great looking old jack knife you have there, Philip. ::tu::
Congratulations. ::tu::
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Appreciated the comments, ::tu:: ! Very helpful, the nail nick starts about 1 1/4" from the bolster. (I don't think metric :oops: too old! 1 1/4"=31.75mm, mighty close to 32mm.) The distance from the bolster to the tip is 68.25mm, from the 1/2 stop. Where the slope for the spear begins on the spine, it seem to be an angle point rather than a gentle curve, that's where I see a difference in the #18 you showed. Again, I'm tickled with this one, thanks to edge213! ::ds::
bdev, what steel does this one have, it doesn't appear to be the stainless of some of my #39's and #49's? I sharpened the blades while ago and it is a lot easier to work than the SS of the others.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bdev

Post by bdev »

treefarmer wrote: bdev, what steel does this one have, it doesn't appear to be the stainless of some of my #39's and #49's? I sharpened the blades while ago and it is a lot easier to work than the SS of the others.
Treefarmer
I checked Queen's 1954 catalog and at the top of the page that the #18 appears, it says "Finest Stainless Steel". I took a pic of my computer screen. A bad pic but you should be able to read it. Click on it to enlarge.
DSC_0004 (2).JPG
DSC_0004 (3).JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”