what's the difference old Queen knives and new ones

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
americanjack

what's the difference old Queen knives and new ones

Post by americanjack »

I have see some new Queen knives with DFC on the tang. Are they any better ?
XX Case XX

Re: what's the difference old Queen knives and new ones

Post by XX Case XX »

Daniels Family Cutlery. Don't know if they're any better.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

They may not be worse but I doubt they're any better. Queen quality was excellent in the old days. Just my opinion. I'm not much into newer knives so can't speak to present day quality.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gino

Post by gino »

I own more than a few of both and the quality differences is about the same as new and old (pre mid 70’s) Case knives
Older Queen knives are much better quality
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Generally speaking, I agree with gino; however, I have acquired quite a few "modern" Queen-made Schatt & Morgan knives recently and I find them to be perfectly satisfactory and well-made knives. Maybe not quite as good as the older models by comparison, but still noticeably better than similar patterns currently being made exclusively in China such as Rough Rider, IMO.

BTW--how old does it have to be in order to be considered "old"? I have a Series 1 S&M Mini Trapper from 1991 and another one from 2002 currently "in the mail" that I'm eager to compare to my more modern Queen-made knives which are mostly all DFC-stamped (not sure what year the Daniels family took over and began using that tang stamp designation.)

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote:Generally speaking, I agree with gino; however, I have acquired quite a few "modern" Queen-made Schatt & Morgan knives recently and I find them to be perfectly satisfactory and well-made knives. Maybe not quite as good as the older models by comparison, but still noticeably better than similar patterns currently being made exclusively in China such as Rough Rider, IMO.

BTW--how old does it have to be in order to be considered "old"? I have a Series 1 S&M Mini Trapper from 1991 and another one from 2002 currently "in the mail" that I'm eager to compare to my more modern Queen-made knives which are mostly all DFC-stamped (not sure what year the Daniels family took over and began using that tang stamp designation.)

~Q~
~Q~, Please share your thoughts when those knives arrive if you don't mind. I'm very interested in your observations.

I've got a few Queens from the mid 2000's and a few with the DFC stamp. The earlier ones are a little better in my opinion but some do have blade play and other minor issues. I think all of my earlier models have polished blades. Seems that most Daniels family Queens have satin blades. Not good or bad. Just an observation.

I think it was 2012 that the Daniels family took over but I'm not sure when they started using the DFC tang stamp.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gino

Post by gino »

For my opinion I would say older knives mean pre mid 70’s
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”