Who's into S & M?

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Who's into S & M?

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice S&M Mark ::tu::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Outstanding Mark!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks guys. I have been avoiding ivory or mammoth ivory simply due to how hard it’s getting to sell. But when Roland offered me this one, I just couldn’t say no. This has a classical look to it. It’s what I always imagined a “true” knife should look like.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By no means my first Schatt and Morgan, but my first ivory S&M.
SSk
carrmillus wrote:...love that knife, but I just can't make myself like ivory!!!!
There are many different types of ivory; so, just in case anyone wasn't sure, Mark's 1997 S&M Wharncliffe Whittler is interior Mammoth ivory, not Elephant ivory (or Walrus, Warthog or Narwhal ivory, etc.). The S&M Bomber Jack and Wharncliffe Trapper I posted earlier in this thread are from the same year and have interior mammoth ivory handles just like it...presumably from the same batch of interior mammoth ivory S&M used on all their ivory knives that year.

I'll show my two again, just for comparison (and because I can!)
P3040006.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By no means my first Schatt and Morgan, but my first ivory S&M.
SSk
carrmillus wrote:...love that knife, but I just can't make myself like ivory!!!!
There are many different types of ivory; so, just in case anyone wasn't sure, Mark's 1997 S&M Wharncliffe Whittler is interior Mammoth ivory, not Elephant ivory (or Walrus, Warthog or Narwhal ivory, etc.). The S&M Bomber Jack and Wharncliffe Trapper I posted earlier in this thread are from the same year and have interior mammoth ivory handles just like it...presumably from the same batch of interior mammoth ivory S&M used on all their ivory knives that year.

I'll show my two again, just for comparison (and because I can!)

P3040006.JPG

~Q~

QS, Thank you for telling me this. That will go into my records so that down the road there is no problem selling for someone this. Although I suspect that mammoth ivory will be just as hard to sell in the future as elephant ivory. I have gone round after round w/ eBay over this issue already.
QS, those two you posted are extremely nice. They have that “true” knife look also.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Got this beautiful S&M Wharncliffe Whittler from kj(Roland). By no means my first Schatt and Morgan, but my first ivory S&M. This knife is over the top.
SSk
Stellar piece.
-Tim
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

My latest S&M obsession: Keystone Series 1 (1991)
P3180028.JPG
P3180023.JPG
P1220021.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote:My latest S&M obsession: Keystone Series 1 (1991)

P3180028.JPGP3180023.JPGP1220021.JPG

~Q~

Q, really nice. I too like the Keystone series. I sold my Keystone Congress the other day. That will be one that I regret selling. But I told myself that if I got that price I would sell it and low and behold I got that price. Now I am on the hunt for another one, at the right price. Gives me something to look forward too.
Have you noticed that the prices on S&M knives seem to be moving up lately? Not so much on Queen but definitely S&M knives.
Those are some beauties you got there.
SSk
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I JUST RECEIVED MY 2008 PREMIER S&M HUMPBACK WHITTLER LOCK KNIFE . MADE IN NEW YORK
5667722222227.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

OABJ, That is a very fine looking knife. Congrats! ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I JUST RECEIVED MY 2008 PREMIER S&M HUMPBACK WHITTLER LOCK KNIFE . MADE IN NEW YORK 5667722222227.jpg
......I was beginning to think I was the only AAPK member who had one of these!!!......now, if I could find one of the original Remington's!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............................
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I JUST RECEIVED MY 2008 PREMIER S&M HUMPBACK WHITTLER LOCK KNIFE . MADE IN NEW YORK
Although the tang stamp says "New York", I thought the S&M Premier Series knives were made by Queen in Titusville, PA.

I'm sure there are AAPK guys who would know (such as Dave 'knowtracks'). Here's a link to more information the topic if you're interested in further research.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15483&hilit=premier

~Q~

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I JUST RECEIVED MY 2008 PREMIER S&M HUMPBACK WHITTLER LOCK KNIFE . MADE IN NEW YORK 5667722222227.jpg

That is one gorgeous knife! That has that “true knife” look. I want one of those.
SSk
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

The Premier series knives were all built in Titusville, PA and used the oldest Schatt Morgan tang stamp.
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

QTCut5 wrote:My latest S&M obsession: Keystone Series 1 (1991)

P3180028.JPGP3180023.JPGP1220021.JPG

~Q~
Love the `91 Series! ::tu::
GREAT looking knives ~Q~ 8)

Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I love some of the Premier models including, for no rational reason, that one. There is nothing that is not odd about and a whittler that combines split back springs and a rocker lock. Even the master blade has an odd shape. I guess that is what it appeals to the collector in me. However, a lock that is of questionable value to anyone is an even odder choice for a one armed collector. I'll have to dig out one of mine and experiment with getting it open and closed with one hand shoved in a pocket. I may be back asking how you do it.

The Premier series included 4" split back whittlers with clip master blades that are among my favorite knives in that size range. One would have to be easier for you to open and close.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I just returned from my long overdue trip down to Pembina ND to retrieve my mail. Funny that humpback whittler showed up a few posts back. I had been trying to get one for a good price and finally did. 2 weeks later another on showed up for a most reasonable price, along with a best offer. I shot out an offer I was sure would be rebuffed, and now I have 2. ::woot::
1553473871268566133932513722198.jpg
15534739157865208532104128430899.jpg
These things are great. Light pulls on the secondary blades, but adequate snap. Firm pull and snap on the masters. Gorgeous covers, shield looks pinned. Nickel silver liners, and on and on. These should command a premium, but are trading far too low.

Usually my pickups are GEC dominant, but I had more Queen made than anything else. Tenney Trading whittler in mammoth.
15534743708445753371941168295701.jpg
Winchester 2935 in stag. Beautiful knife, but like my 2935 in pearl, lacking in opening snap. Likely a good flush would have it sorted as it has great closing action.
clean
15534745136291404435057476703629.jpg
And this 01 Marbles English Jack in jig bone.
15534746958852701101543254611668.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rob, those are all GREAT knives ! What a haul. I recently picked up the same S & M "Norfolk Whittler" which is the name for a Swell Center Serpentine Whittler with the distinctive clip blade. And the S & M is also a lock back which the original Norfolk Whittler did not have. (see LG4 pg. 255 for examples). What surprises me is how very thin the stock is for the master blade. Usually whittlers have a fairly stout master and thinly ground secondaries. All 3 blades are very thinly ground on this one. From the sketches in LG4 i had expected a strong & stout master blade.
Is the Tenney Trading whittler also a Queen ? Beautiful knife, but Tenney is a new name to me.
Regarding the S&M ivory whittler on the previous page and the Tenney whittler and many other recently made knives with 'ivory' handles: a few years ago knife dealers began to call ivory "mammoth" or "interior mammoth" so as to avoid possible government hassles. I believe the manufacturers did the same.
Mammoth ivory that has not been stained by being buried is very difficult to differentiate from elephant ivory. You need powerful magnification and much experience to positively ID as mammoth or elephant.
I believe the whittler i sold Mark has elephant ivory handles because it mas made about 1995 ? and back then mammoth was just coming in to use and kind of rare. However it could be mammoth.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A great haul of wonderful knives. I really like the S&M whittlers, they are absolutely beautiful. But oh that ivory!!!! What a wonderful knife. Congratulations on some great pick ups. ::nod:: ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:I just returned from my long overdue trip down to Pembina ND to retrieve my mail. Funny that humpback whittler showed up a few posts back. I had been trying to get one for a good price and finally did. 2 weeks later another on showed up for a most reasonable price, along with a best offer. I shot out an offer I was sure would be rebuffed, and now I have 2. ::woot:: 1553473871268566133932513722198.jpg15534739157865208532104128430899.jpg
These things are great. Light pulls on the secondary blades, but adequate snap. Firm pull and snap on the masters. Gorgeous covers, shield looks pinned. Nickel silver liners, and on and on. These should command a premium, but are trading far too low.

Usually my pickups are GEC dominant, but I had more Queen made than anything else. Tenney Trading whittler in mammoth.15534743708445753371941168295701.jpg

Winchester 2935 in stag. Beautiful knife, but like my 2935 in pearl, lacking in opening snap. Likely a good flush would have it sorted as it has great closing action.
clean15534745136291404435057476703629.jpg

And this 01 Marbles English Jack in jig bone.15534746958852701101543254611668.jpg
Rob, Nice bunch of knives. I have that Marbles English Jack in blue. Those are one of my all time favorites. I buy those anytime I can get them at a decent price.
SSk
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm still "stuck" on Keystone Series 1. Just picked up another 042 151 (mini) Trapper.
P4020018.JPG
The color of this one nicely matches my Series 1 Sleeveboard, I think.
P4020026.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That's a mighty fine lookin' mini-Trapper! ::tu::
Those S&M'm are a notch or two above my pay grade.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Q I don't think you own an ugly knife. ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this new S&M from Gary Kennedy. Stag Congress. Love this one.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpeg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Got this new S&M from Gary Kennedy. Stag Congress. Love this one.
SSk
What a beaut. Love the stamped bolsters with a shield on that pattern.
-Tim

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”