Queen Winchester Barlow

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
wlf

Re: Queen Winchester Barlow

Post by wlf »

Yes, Dave Scott ,I think, insisted on having six prototypes,but Bill said that didn't always happen. John asked him if there were five more somewhere and he said not necessarily. If one assembled was enough to keep him satisfied,that was as far as Bill went.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
cato

Post by cato »

SWEET, Nice info hunt...

never know.. you know
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

Queen also made saw-cut bone barlows for Blackjack way back when......
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

brucegodlesky wrote:Queen also made saw-cut bone barlows for Blackjack way back when......
When I hear "Blackjack", I think fixed blades out of Effingham. Educate me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Interesting thread - I thought it weird that someone would use such an identifiable Barlow frame to attempt a fake, versus all the OTHER cutlers with their hands in the Winchester pot later on in the 20th. I have two examples of a Queen-built Ontario 606 Barlow (Delrin faux-wood handles, with the OLD HICKORY stamping from so many vintage fixed blades and folders which I believe travelled from cutler to cutler). Immediately-identifiable Queen Barlow covered-spring frame and clip blade, "OK" Ontario tang stamp, and note the patent # 2728139 on the pen blade is the same as on many Queen knives with covered-backspring frames.
Ontario 606 Barlow - mark side
Ontario 606 Barlow - mark side
Ontario 606 Barlow - pile side
Ontario 606 Barlow - pile side
Ontario 606 Barlow - covered backspring
Ontario 606 Barlow - covered backspring
The OP Winchester prototype seems to have exposed backsprings which is very much like the Queen Rawhide series Barlow from the early '80s (see here with a Boker anniversary Barlow). Note that it also has 4 pins like JohnR's Barlow:
27527066623_38c427580a_k.jpg
27527094903_02623777e9_k.jpg
I've seen 2, 3, and 4-pin Queen Barlows on the "offset bolster" Barlow frames. Generally I see more with covered backsprings than without.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

WOW! Haven't been her ein along time!

Mike Stewart had Cripple Creek/Blackjack barlows made in Titusville. Most were sawcut bone with a few stags thrown in.
I have one done in Chestnut......:-)

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”